Filmmaking: Composition and Framing Tutorial
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 24, 2011
To learn more and comment visit our blog at: http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/blog/
Welcome to the Lights Film School video tutorial on framing heights. In this video we'll discuss the importance of properly cropping your subject within a frame. Three common mistakes filmmakers often make when framing a subject are:
1. They leave too much 'room" above the subject's head which creates "dead space"
2. They fail to leave enough room above the subject's head "clipping" the top of their head with the top wall of the frame. While this may be advisable for some close-up shots, this is not advisable for medium or full shots.
3. They "cut off" or "amputate" their subject at the joints of their limbs.
Medium full shot
Medium close shot
Wide close up
Full close up
Medium close up
Extreme close up
Macro close ups
Shot on the Canon Canon 5D Mark II
----- MORE ABOUT US ---------
Lights Online Film School is an online education provider offering filmmakers a chance to learn more about screenwriting, directing, cinematography, sound design, editing and producing. Whether you want to learn how to shoot better music videos, short films, feature films or documentaries we have courses that will help you become a better filmmaker. To learn more about our course visit our website here: http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/
SHARE AND LIKE
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
OTHER PAGES OF INTEREST
Lights Film School Blog - http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/blog/
30 Days to More Views - http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/how-t...
How to Sell Your Videos Online - http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/how-t...
How to Shoot a Music Video - http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/how-t...
GEAR USED IN THIS VIDEO:
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon EF 24-70 2.8 USM Lens
This was shot before the cinestyle upgrade. We will be uploading more videos soon with the cinestyle profile.
To learn more about our online filmmaking course visit our website at: http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/
Standard YouTube License
- 36:14 10 Household Hacks for Filmmakers : Indy Newsby Indy Mogul Featured 115,915
- 1:04:39 The Perfect Picture By Bryan Petersonby Muhammad Khirul14,716 views
- 30:05 Webinar: HDSLR Filmmaking for Beginners - Basic Camera Movementby Cinevate69,296 views
- 10:19 Filmmaking 101 - Three Point Lighting Tutorialby DiCasaFilm121,677 views
- 25:35 How to Make a Short Filmby SantaFeUniversity144,012 views
- 7:38 Filmmaking Tutorial: 180 Degree Rule and Other Shot Sequence Tipsby LightsFilmSchool163,270 views
- 13:08 Kevin Smith Part 2: Writing & Filmmakingby Lee Stranahan143,245 views
- 7 videos Play all Cognitive Domain: Rules of Cinematographyby taramakanimiller
- 5:45 The 5 Deadly Sins of Amateur Videoby videomaker342,286 views
- 7:04 The 180 Degree Rule: Doing it Right, Doing it Wrong & Doing it With Three People - FRIDAY 101by Indy Mogul54,876 views
- 5:09 Kevin Smith - Great Filmmaking Advice (08.27.09 - Day 874)by GavinMichaelBooth110,513 views
- 1:37:39 Filmmaking 101: Training for Scriptwriting, Camera, Shooting, Lighting and Video Post Productionby NextWaveDV77,208 views
- 8:02 How to Compose Your Photo Using the Rule of Thirdsby Lori Allen76,050 views
- 5:41 Camera Movementby videomaker314,522 views
- 39:44 Cinematography Learn from a Masterby Hugh Fenton124,634 views
- 7:54 Cinematography Tutorial: Using Flags to Control Shadow and Lightby LightsFilmSchool74,521 views
- 14:23 Best Accessories for DSLR Filmmaking Part 1by DEDStudios100,537 views
- 11:57 Cinematography: Camera Movementby MissKMallon49,613 views
- 8:21 Cheap Film Sound Tips: Q and Erikby QandErik69,161 views
- 4:05 Leon: The Professional (180 Degree Rule)by Jason Goode39,499 views