Bruce Lee Arm Triangle Choke
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 19, 2010
Bruce Lee tries to pull off an arm-triangle submission. Doesn't know any ground game or submissions my ass! The fact is, Bruce Lee knew basic ground game well enough to survive and get back on his feet or possibly even submit in my opinion. My first Jiu Jitsu teacher, who was a direct student under the great Judo Gene LeBell, said LeBell told him that he taught Lee the 33 basic submissions/grappling techniques of Judo. Now I don't give a damn what any keyboard warrior behind a screen says, Gene LeBell's, as well as other fighters who knew and touched hands with Lee in the flesh, statement about how he fought will be worth more to me then 100 of your negative statement about how the MMA fighters of today would completely own his ass. Little did any of you haters also know that Bruce Lee defeated three-time champion British boxer Gary Elms by way of knockout in the third round in the 1958 Hong Kong Inter-School amateur Boxing Championships! Meaning he does have fight experience in both stand-up and ground work. Don't get me wrong! I'm a huge MMA fan and have been following it since the early days! But I know the difference between MMA and MARTIAL ARTS! You guys are sheep in the trend of something that is a sport and not a true way of life. And because so many of you don't understand that, I can give less of a shit what the hell you think of Lee. Respects to a fighter, an athlete, a philosopher, a true honest expressing human being, and a REAL MARTIAL ARTIST! Thanks to anyone that read this whole thing and understands it!
"Bruce loved to learn grappling, he ate it up! He said that people would never go for it in movies or TV because the fights are over too fast and most of the good stuff was hidden from view. He said they wanted to see fancy kicking, acrobatics, and weapons -- he was a savvy showman who knew how to give 'em exactly what they wanted. I wish he could be around now to see how well grappling is doing these days." -Judo Gene LeBell
In addition to everything I've just said, I will point out KNOWN wrestling, grappling and submission techniques from his Tao of JKD for anyone who has the book.
Page 117 lists the variations of Double and Single Leg takedowns including one just like the Side Kick Leg Grab Hook Throw from sanda on the bottom left corner of "single Leg Attacks"
Page 118 under "Single Leg Locks" picture (C) show a single leg boston crab submission. Next to it shows a calf crusher identical to the one demonstrated on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKqe3m...
In the section labeled "Toe Holds" on the same page, you will see a drawing of a toe hold submission and its many variations. One of which is demonstrated here by the legendary MMA fighter Sakuraba http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmFxt...
Page 119 show common wrestling techniques such as an elblow throw-by, wrist pasts, the "touch jab then shoot" and arm drags.
Page 120 Under "Head and Neck Manipulations" demonstrates a "can opener" neck crank. Towards the bottom left corner of the page shows a "Reverse Figure-4 Neck Lock" also knows as a "Grovit Front Face Lock" from Catch Wrestling. The positioning and execution of the technique is identical to the explanation of Catch As Catch Can Wrestling Legend Billy Robinson as demonstrated on this video
Page 121 continues to show head and neck manipulations such as the "Bull Dog Choke" as demonstrated by Carlos Newton vs Pat Miletich at UFC 31. "Half Nelson's Hammerlocks" are demonstrated on the bottom half of the page same as here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc8BVS...
Pages 122-123 shows drawings of 4 different variations of armlocks including the time favorite straight armbar aka Juji Gatame
He even shows the "Okuri Eri Jime" submission that was shown on Human Weapon's Judo episode as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BSuww...
That's all of the grappling section notes I could locate in his Tao of JKD book. Those alone do not reveal the in depth knowledge he had on the subject of grappling and submissions. There were probably hundreds of notes lost over time either from him throwing it out or just lost over time. We may never know but what is known as a fact was he was not incompetent on the subject.
"We worked out on a one-on-one basis and we both learned a great deal from each other. Bruce could do everything. He could strike, wrestle, or grapple. He was that bit of a jock and an athlete, very sharp. He was an innovator and the best at what he did." -Gene LeBell
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Game of Death" on
- 6:51 Grovit Wrestling Front Face Lockby TakingItToTheMMAT Featured 55,257
- 10:41 Kazushi Sakuraba documentaryby lakvi22104,667 views
- 3:42 Gracie family talks about Bruce Lee 『The Father of MMA』by IpMan1971,517 views
- 3:03 Sakuraba vs. Galesic: Submission of the Decadeby pancakelanding309,500 views
- 2:58 Joe Rogan talks about Steven Seagal getting choked out by Gene Lebellby RasmusDC721,530 views
- 3:45 LeBell - Rousey Would Have Bruce Lee For Lunchby mmarecap41,008 views
- 7:06 Gene Lebell chokes out Sifuby vyvial55,472 views
- 1:14:18 Dragon lee in The Real Bruce Lee - Full Movieby CN Youku404,822 views
- 1:42 Gene LeBell talks about Bruce Leeby fadedsideways224,803 views
- 6:37 Chuck Norris and Bob Wall Roasting Gene Lebellby urartuproductions18,853 views
- 1:12 Bruce Lee & grapplingby CataJKD60,441 views
- 6:18 Gene LeBell was NOT Bruce Lee's teacher!! (Time for Americans to face the truth)by IpMan1941,239 views
- 14:15 Sakuraba a Kazushi Sakuraba MMA/PRIDE Montage/Highlight by MrSpiderpigbeginsby MrSpiderpigbegins2186,777 views
- 4:01 Gene LeBell cowardly taunting Steven Seagal againby ChimpBush30,540 views
- 1:02:18 Amazing Technique by Kazushi Sakuraba (Catch wrestling technique instructional)by Canbe Done11,842 views
- 3:10 BEST HOT VERSION TOUGE INTRO EVER!by fadedsideways6,192 views
- 12:34 Gene LeBell scares to confirm choking out Steven Seagal (1/2)by hour MMA39,487 views
- 3:45 Bruce Lee in MMA, UFC, K-1, Pride, etc........by taijutsu199231,103 views
- 17:55 Real Catch Wrestling Ultimate Kesa Gatame headlock P1 15+ Submissions & Escapes UFC MMA Jiu jitsu!by TheCombatSystem.com4,360 views
- 2:05:47 JRE #423 - Gene LeBellby PowerfulJRE33,421 views
- Loading more suggestions...