This video is unavailable.
English Vocabulary Lesson - Kokomo - Song 56
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 16, 2009
http://www.learn-to-speak-english-esl... This English vocabulary lesson has words in simple sentence context. A lesson in song, it features "Kokomo" by The Beach Boys. Free ESL vocabulary lessons in songs with lesson plan scripts may be downloaded on site.
* My Award-Winning "Speak English Here And Now" ESL video course is now only $9.95. Learn important English Conversation Rules & the Right Things To Say in male and female dialogs. Hundreds of speaking tips. For FREE LESSON - Click link above. Enjoy! Teacher Frank
LYRICS AND VIDEO LESSON SCRIPT
1 Vocabulary and Common Phrases
2 Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take you. Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama. Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go?
These countries are islands and popular holiday resorts not far from the US Southeastern coast. They are in the Caribbean Sea in the North Atlantic Ocean and have a subtropical climate. "Keys" (noun) means 'a group of low-lying islands.'
3 Off the Florida Keys, there's a place called Kokomo. That's where you wanna go to get away from it all.
"get away from it all" means 'to take a break from cares and routine.'
4 Bodies in the sand - tropical drink melting in your hand.
"tropical drink" (noun) means 'an iced, juice mixture of tropical fruits.'
5 We'll be falling in love to the rhythm of a steel drum band down in Kokomo.
"steel drum band" (noun) is 'a combo of musicians with steel drums made from 55 gallon containers.'
6 Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take you to Bermuda, Bahama; come on pretty mama. Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go? Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo. We'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow. That's where we wanna go, way down to Kokomo. To Martinique, that Monserrat mystique.
"take it slow" means to 'take it easy and don't be hurried; it's often used to say goodbye.'
7 We'll put out to sea and we'll perfect our chemistry. By and by, we'll defy a little bit of gravity.
"chemistry" (noun) means 'the emotional interaction or attraction between two people.' "good chemistry" is 'getting along well with someone.'
8 Afternoon delight, cocktails and moonlit nights. That dreamy look in your eye - gives me a tropical contact high way down in Kokomo.
"tropical high" (noun phrase) or "Bermuda high" describes 'the uplifting pleasure caused by being in a warm climate after coming out of a cold one.'
9 Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take you to Bermuda, Bahama; come on pretty mama. Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go? Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo. We'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow. That's where we wanna go, way down to Kokomo. Port Au Prince, I wanna catch a glimpse.
"catch a glimpse" means 'to take a very quick look or see something for a short while.'
10 Everybody knows a little place like Kokomo. Now if you wanna go and get away from it all, go down to Kokomo.
"Everybody knows" means 'It's common knowledge that....'
11 Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take you to Bermuda, Bahama; come on pretty mama. Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go? Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo. We'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow. That's where we wanna go, way down to Kokomo.
12 Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take you to Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama. Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go?
"come on" (verb) is a phrase similar to 'let's go.'
LESSON PRACTICE EXERCISE
Fill in the blanks with the best word or phrase.
Jamaica - Keys - catch a glimpse - take it slow - steel drum band - chemistry - Everybody knows - tropical drinks - Come on - get away from it all
1 ___, let's go! I want to ____ of the dolphins.
2 ____ that Islands in the Caribbean are warm.
3 Gordon loves to drink Aruba's ____.
4 When she left the Florida ____, Sandy said, "I'm going to ____ for a week, ____ everyone."
5 Robin met the musicians in a ____ playing Reggae and they had good ____.
6 The island of ____ is in the Caribbean Sea.
Related subjects include the following.
cuộc trò chuyện
التحدث باللغة الإنجليزية
Standard YouTube License
- 9:33 10 Common Expressions in Englishby ValenESLFeatured 3,420,681
- 13:42 CAROL KAYE interview/video chat about her work with BRIAN WILSON on THE BEACH BOYS` "SMiLE" sessionsby Jan Lankisch 19,700 views
- 4:50 Conditionals - Examples in Songsby jjenglishlessons 22,805 views
- 7:37 Learn English 56 - Communication Skillsby podEnglish 218,624 views
- 6:42 Italian 101 - Common Words & Phrases - Level Twoby travellinguist 353,448 views
- 10:05 The Trollies All New Musical Adventure Part 2by trollradio239 9,649 views
- 3:09 English Vocabulary Lesson 122 - Weatherby LearnEnglishESL 6,776 views
- 3:21 Learn English Through Song Lesson 124 Fluent Speechby LearnEnglishESL 10,795 views
- 2:58 English Grammar - Gerunds - Lesson 57by LearnEnglishESL 9,153 views
- 5:03 Peppa pig english episodes Funfair full movie 2013by tvcartoonskids 299,629 views
- 5:13 Learn English Through Song Lesson 25 High Frequency Phrasesby LearnEnglishESL 18,826 views
- 5:18 English Vocabulary - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Song 11by LearnEnglishESL 11,108 views
- 4:29 Learn English Through Song Lesson 131 Clarity In Expressionby LearnEnglishESL 6,632 views
- 5:29 Learn English Through Song Lesson 69 Common Phrasesby LearnEnglishESL 77,203 views
- 3:10 Learn English Through Song Lesson 55 Quick Speechby LearnEnglishESL 7,372 views
- 5:33 Learn English Through Song Lesson 121 Vocabulary And Phrasesby LearnEnglishESL 4,775 views
- 3:32 Learn English Vocabulary Through Song - Lesson 87by LearnEnglishESL 3,517 views
- 3:27 English Sing Along Song 54 - Jamaica Farewellby LearnEnglishESL 12,278 views
- 3:20 Learn English Through Song Lesson 39 Farming Termsby LearnEnglishESL 13,859 views
- 2:11 Learn English Through Movies - Lesson 12 - Vocabularyby LearnEnglishESL 94,062 views
- Loading more suggestions...