To Divest or Not to Divest?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 10, 2013
What are the Moral and Practical Considerations of a Fossil Fuel Divestment Strategy?
May 13th, 7:00 P.M. at First Church in Boston -- Unitarian Universalist
Bill McKibben of 350.org has called for the divestment of fossil fuel stocks as a key strategy in the fight against climate change. Thoughtful professionals within the socially responsible investment and liberal religious communities have taken reasoned and moral positions both for and against this strategy. This is a dilemma for people of conscience who are struggling with questions and decisions about what to do in their institutional and personal portfolios. Since there are strong arguments both for and against divestment, how are we to know what is our "right" decision?
What exactly do we mean by "fossil fuel divestment"?
• Which companies and why? What time horizon?
• Whose behaviors are we hoping to influence and how? What levers are we trying to pull -- financial, moral, public opinion?
What are the real costs -- both opportunity and financial -- of divesting or not divesting?
• How do we keep faith with our fiduciary responsibilities to our institutions and their future?
• How does this impact shareholder activism efforts?
• What are the alternative investment opportunities and their comparative risk/reward profiles?
• Tim Brennan, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations
• Chuck Collins, Senior Scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies
• Stephanie Leighton, Senior Portfolio Manager and Research Analyst, Trillium Asset Management LLC
• Bob Massie, President and CEO of the New Economics Institute
• Lauren Ressler, National Organizer, Responsible Endowments Coalition
• Jim Sherblom, Senior Minister, First Parish, Unitarian Universalist, Brookline, MA
• Tim Smith, Senior VP, Director of ESG Shareowner Engagement, Walden Asset Management, Boston Trust
Thanks to all who made this event and video possible:
Barbara Simonetti (Convener) Director, National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation; Greg Buckland, J.P. Forum; Lucia Santini Field, Trustee, UUSC, Managing Director, Boston Trust & Investment Management Company and Walden Asset Management; Rob Guillemin, First Parish in Brookline UU; Clint Richmond, Co-Chair, Social Action Committee, First Parish UU Brookline ; Charles Sandmel, Trustee and Treasurer, UUSC, SRI Investment Advisor, First Affirmative Financial Network, Michael Sandmel, Campus Network Organizer, New Economics Institute, Sibyl Senters, Social Action Committee,First Parish in Cambridge UU.
The J.P. Forum; Boston Area Sustainable Investment Consortium; Social Action Committee, First Parish in Brookline UU; Social Justice Committee, First Church in Boston UU; Environmental Justice Task Force, First Parish in Cambridge UU; Green Sanctuary Committee, First Parish in Arlington UU; UU Ministry for Earth
For more information, contact Barbara Simonetti at Bsimonetti@comcast.net
Standard YouTube License
- 1:06:57 Conferencia del Ing. Carlos Slim: Retos y Liderazgoby carloslimvideoficial126,469 views
- 1:00:23 Carlos Slim en entrevista con Larry King, en la Conferencia Global 2013 del Milken Institute.by carloslimvideoficial51,593 views
- 1:25:46 Blind Spotby John Hanna11,436 views
- 1:08:31 An honest Israeli Jew tells the Real Truth about Israelby Muslims and the World391,715 views
- 53:22 Interview with a Unitarian Universalistby Kris Kindred2,600 views
- 21:50 Larry King entrevista al Ing. Carlos Slim para Ora.Tvby carloslimvideoficial11,570 views
- 36:48 History of the Israeli Palestinian Conflictby XP68,016 views
- 1:38:05 McKibben vs. Epstein Debate on Fossil Fuels -- Full Audioby ImproveThePlanet10,013 views
- 17:38 Entrevista a Carlos Slim realizada por Bettina Bulgheroni, para el programa "Puentes de Esperanza".by carloslimvideoficial58,779 views
- 45:17 Israeli Air Force - Dog Fights Of The Middle Eastby cafeturkie336,568 views
- 41:12 Larry King entrevistó al Ing. Carlos Slim en su programa de CNN, Larry King Live.by carloslimvideoficial176,908 views
- 32:16 December 5 2013 Is Israel preparing for a preemptive strike on Iran??? 1 of 2by u2bheavenbound26,701 views
- 5:21 Que PEMEX no sea otro TELMEXby juanelas7776,106 views
- 1:27:58 Alfredo Jalife Privatización de Pemex Petróleo y Gas en México 2013 - Partido de Trabajoby Óscar González Yáñez105,402 views
- 12:59 The MOST Important Video About Israel You'll Ever See!by thelandofisrael1,295,071 views
- 1:00:26 Richard Heinberg on fossil fuels, alternative energy supply and societal adaptation 4 25 13 9 00 AMby HappinessInitiative738 views
- 50:26 David Korten: Agenda for a New Economyby Jim Lockhart9,883 views
- 13:35 Lo que EPN dijo a WSJ sobre Pemex, que no se leyó en Méxicoby Aristegui Noticias227,635 views
- 19:55 Students Storm an April Faculty Meetingby Skidmore Actisvism2,817 views
- 8:34 Mexico Nueva Zelanda ( La mejor narración de Martinoli en TV Azteca )by misiekmex105,481 views
- Loading more suggestions...