THE NEW TEARS OF ARAXES
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2006
Featuring a never-seen-before satellite image of a vandalized medieval cemetery at the Iranian-Azerbaijani border, "The New Tears of Araxes," a five-minute film, tells the tragic story of thousands of ancient Armenian headstones flattened to the ground by the Azerbaijani authorities in Djulfa or Julfa (Jugha in Armenian), Nakhichevan.
On December 15, 2005, eyewitnesses across the River Araxes videotaped Azeri soldiers destroying Armenian burial monuments - khachkars (cross stones) - some as old as 1,500 years. Azerbaijani officials denied the vandalism, but banned European Parliament members from visiting the site in March of 2006. Only a few outside news sources tried to publicize the tragedy.
"The New Tears of Araxes" is written by Sarah Pickman, a University of Chicago student, who was the only American reporter to cover the tragedy when she interned for Archaeology Magazine. Producer and narrator Simon Maghakyan, who is among America's top 20 college students according to USA TODAY (April 24, 2006), hopes the film will break a year of ignorance and silence. When asked why others should care, Maghakyan quotes Martin Luther King Jr. as saying, "Injustice anywhere is threat to justice everywhere."
Music by Djivan Gasparian (Gladiator, The Passion of the Christ, Munich, Syriana); Digital sound track production by Transtar Entertainment Group; Photographs by Research on Armenian Architecture, and Argam Ayvazian; Footage of 2005 destruction by Tabriz's Armenian Church, Iran; Satellite image by Digital Globe; Map by The Times, London. © Simon Maghakyan 2006.
To learn more about the deliberate destruction of the world's largest Armenian archaeological site, visit the Djulfa Virtual Memorial and Museum - http://www.djulfa.com.
Sept 2007 update: Azerbaijani authorities are razing another Armenian cemetery in Baku, the capital city of the South Caucasus republic - http://www.iwpr.net/?p=crs&s=f&am...
Additional Tags: Culfa, Jougha, Djougha, Giulfa, Dzhulfa, Chugha, Chougha, Julfa, Armenia, Armenians, Amenian History, Nagorno Karabakh, Gharabagh, Cultural Genocide, Nakhchivan, Naxcivan, Naxcuvan, khachkars, khatchkars, tombstone, tombstones, khachkar, khatchkar, Iranian border, River Arax, River Aras, Atrpatakan, Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, cultural destruction, military rifle range, shooting range, desecration of Armenian skeletons, grave, graveyard, archaeological, UNESCO, ICOMOS, European Parliament, Jivan Gasparyan, Duduk music, Doudouk.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:12 Tigranakert: An Armenian Odyssey (part 2 of 2)by Zareh TjeknavorianFeatured 17,700
- 1:38:02 My Armenia (documentary, in english)by 1KJG1 73,579 views
- 4:24 Tigran the Greatby ArmenianPatriot 59,272 views
- 19:10 Julfa - History of Armenian khachkars destruction by Azerbaijanby Emesiz 4,184 views
- 9:11 "History of Armenia in 3 Minutes" EXTENDED VERSIONby Arzive 59,998 views
- 6:04 Бакинские Армянеby mkrtys 665,144 views
- 8:03 Ancient Armenian civilization-Urartu/Ararat/Armenian Kingdomby BeautySavesWorld 76,342 views
- 2:43 Armenia and Iranby Ovooss 13,004 views
- 13 videos Play all Native American Holocaustby 1rabbit
- 9:52 Armenia, the real heaven on earth ♥by Melkonian92 100,993 views
- 7:16 Tigranakert: An Armenian Odyssey (part 1 of 2)by Zareh Tjeknavorian 28,333 views
- 4:41 Жириновский + Урнов в передаче "К Барьеру" от 13 марта 2008by Андрей Ладо 73,485 views
- 3:46 Seda Garibyan(Hayreniki_Jure)by Seda Garibyan 45,541 views
- 0:47 Armenian Parliament Shootingby Groovie G 315,111 views
- 4:15 Historical and Future Maps of ARMENIAby ARMENOCIDE 36,815 views
- 7:37 In Search of Duduk... Master Player, Martin Ghazaryan Part 1by Yavalia 107,631 views
- 7:01 Lévon Minassian - Doudoukby Alexandre Colmant 165,220 views
- 2:03 Putin on Armenian Historyby SeaSnakeX 225,229 views
- 6:06 Await us Araratby suren1987 44,372 views
- 4:16 Our Es Mayr Im (Mother, where are you?)by tenrai5 72,121 views
- 46:29 Günaztv June.19.2011-ci il Həftə sonu proqramıby gunaztelevision 2,178 views
- Loading more suggestions...