THE NEW TEARS OF ARAXES
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2006
Featuring a never-seen-before satellite image of a vandalized medieval cemetery at the Iranian-Azerbaijani border, "The New Tears of Araxes," a five-minute film, tells the tragic story of thousands of ancient Armenian headstones flattened to the ground by the Azerbaijani authorities in Djulfa or Julfa (Jugha in Armenian), Nakhichevan.
On December 15, 2005, eyewitnesses across the River Araxes videotaped Azeri soldiers destroying Armenian burial monuments - khachkars (cross stones) - some as old as 1,500 years. Azerbaijani officials denied the vandalism, but banned European Parliament members from visiting the site in March of 2006. Only a few outside news sources tried to publicize the tragedy.
"The New Tears of Araxes" is written by Sarah Pickman, a University of Chicago student, who was the only American reporter to cover the tragedy when she interned for Archaeology Magazine. Producer and narrator Simon Maghakyan, who is among America's top 20 college students according to USA TODAY (April 24, 2006), hopes the film will break a year of ignorance and silence. When asked why others should care, Maghakyan quotes Martin Luther King Jr. as saying, "Injustice anywhere is threat to justice everywhere."
Music by Djivan Gasparian (Gladiator, The Passion of the Christ, Munich, Syriana); Digital sound track production by Transtar Entertainment Group; Photographs by Research on Armenian Architecture, and Argam Ayvazian; Footage of 2005 destruction by Tabriz's Armenian Church, Iran; Satellite image by Digital Globe; Map by The Times, London. © Simon Maghakyan 2006.
To learn more about the deliberate destruction of the world's largest Armenian archaeological site, visit the Djulfa Virtual Memorial and Museum - http://www.djulfa.com.
Sept 2007 update: Azerbaijani authorities are razing another Armenian cemetery in Baku, the capital city of the South Caucasus republic - http://www.iwpr.net/?p=crs&s=f&am...
Additional Tags: Culfa, Jougha, Djougha, Giulfa, Dzhulfa, Chugha, Chougha, Julfa, Armenia, Armenians, Amenian History, Nagorno Karabakh, Gharabagh, Cultural Genocide, Nakhchivan, Naxcivan, Naxcuvan, khachkars, khatchkars, tombstone, tombstones, khachkar, khatchkar, Iranian border, River Arax, River Aras, Atrpatakan, Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, cultural destruction, military rifle range, shooting range, desecration of Armenian skeletons, grave, graveyard, archaeological, UNESCO, ICOMOS, European Parliament, Jivan Gasparyan, Duduk music, Doudouk.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Sev Mout Amber (Black, Dark Clouds)" on
- 2:03:21 Armenia Music Awards 2013 part1by genproducer222,291 views
- 1:40:47 Невероятные приключения американца в Арменииby trombonizm155,861 views
- 19:10 JULFA - History of destruction of Old Jugha khachkars by Azerbaijanby wwwK4500com1,378 views
- 1:35:54 Невероятные приключения американца в Арменииby Garni1971260,745 views
- 9:45 Armenia: What was, what is, what shall be once moreby ArmenianPatriot97,978 views
- 5:28 Chechen Girl Sings Armenian Patriotic Song Hay Qajer (Heda Hamzatova) Russian/Armenian Festivalby MshoSultanKarapet442,116 views
- 91 videos Play all Сборник - Jivan Gasparyan - Dudukby eranush73
- 8:06 The Discovery of Handaberd Monastery (in Armenian) 1 of 3by Zareh Tjeknavorian9,334 views
- 4:15 Historical and Future Maps of ARMENIAby ARMENOCIDE39,684 views
- 8:19 Germany, Turkey and the Armenian Genocide 1by sakobb85,096 views
- 1:12:03 Fort Boyard Azerbaycan 2-ci seriya ATV \ 27.09.13by Fort Boyard Azerbaijan20,000 views
- 5:04 Azerbaijani Border Guards in Sadarak, Nakhchivanby 0ligarch20,134 views
- 5:11 Nakhichevan_ARMENIAN MONASTERIES (OCCUPIED BY azerbaijan)by ARMENOCIDE1,626 views
- 4:09 Historical facts Armenia ,Iran, azerbaijanby sevag197431,988 views
- 5:33 gladiator duduk musicby daskuza439,694 views
- 4:27 Cultural Genocide by Azerbaijan - Part Iby kievian9,286 views
- 9:51 Human Trafficking in Coloradoby Blogian80,639 views
- 3:47 Araz & Lia - Arcunqner@ Achqerisby rivaldo6292,710 views
- 10:00 Armenians of Iran (Part 1 of 3)by iraninfo19,553 views
- 20:42 A Look into the Armenian Community of Iranby HorizonArmenianTV3,028 views