What's Nature's Economic Value? - Pavan Sukhdev
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 15, 2010
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2010/08/03/Pavan_Sukhd...
Economist Pavan Sukhdev argues that in order to protect nature from damage caused by industrial growth, natural resources must be measured in terms of economic value. This viewpoint, he explains, can expose companies that destroy more wealth than they create.
Environmental damage is already costing us trillions a year, according to Pavan Sukhdev, head of the UN Green Economy Initiative. Sukhdev applies numbers to things that nature does for free -- like purifying drinking water, supplying food and fuel, protecting coasts from storms, and generally keeping humans alive and healthy.
The cost of the global financial crisis stunned the world, with an estimated $862 billion in direct government bailouts alone. After years of running down our natural capital, are we getting close to an environmental version of the credit crunch?
Climate change has been grabbing most of the headlines in recent years, but we are now up against many environmental limits at once. Sukhdev looks at what this tells us about the limitations of our economic system and how it needs to change. The pioneering economist (who also works for Deutsche Bank) describes what the global economy would look like with nature on the balance sheet.
His talk was presented by the Centre for Policy Development at the Sydney Opera House. Afterwards, he joined a panel consisting of leading business people, climate change advocates and scientists. - Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Pavan Sukhdev is Special Advisor and Head of UNEP's Green Economy Initiative, a major project suite to demonstrate that the greening of economies is not a burden on growth but rather a new engine for growth, employment and the reduction of persistent poverty.
Sukhdev is also Study Leader for the G8+5 commissioned report on The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB), a project he was appointed to lead in March 2008 by the EU Commission and Germany whilst still working full-time at Deutsche Bank. TEEB's Interim Report was welcomed globally for its fresh economic outlook, showing the economic significance of the loss of nature's services, and connecting biodiversity and ecosystems with ethics, equity and the alleviation of poverty.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:19 Gladwell on Income Inequality: We're Off the Railsby ForaTv50,867 views
- 3:51 Biotech Disaster by 2020? Martin Rees Weighs the Risksby ForaTv5,340 views
- 2:32 Save the Environment...Buy a Rolex? - Saul Griffithby ForaTv5,636 views
- 2:26 Megan Stack: War on Terror "Never Really Existed"by ForaTv4,434 views
- 1:30:01 The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversityby lsewebsite4,401 views
- 51:27 "How do we value nature?" lecture by Pavan Sukhdevby GlobalUtmaning1,223 views
- 2:43 China's environmental economics - 31 March 08by Al Jazeera English6,107 views
- 13:58 TEDxEcoleHôtelièreLausanne - Eva Zabey - The economy, it's nature's businessby TEDxTalks7,050 views
- 12 videos Play all The Environment and Natural Resourcesby Nielsio
- 1:26 Highlights from Introduction to Valuing Nature: TEEB@Yaleby YaleUniversity769 views
- 1:29:04 Fascinating Nature - The Most Spectacular Landscapes in the Worldby watch best224,204 views
- 14:42 The Economic Crisisby TheProgressivelabor682 views
- 10:40 Frédéric Lordon: economic value in the light of aesthetic value 1/3by noeleblanc18,760 views
- 13:20 Conceitos e exemplos de valor e preçoby miudosufpr1,353 views
- 10:00 Law of Value 4: Value (1 of 2)by brendanmcooney6,511 views
- 17:16 11.11.09 Webcast Question: Economic Value Vs. Moneyby Lyndon LaRouche PAC328 views
- 7:51 La economía de la naturaleza.by activateyacomar662 views
- 18:14 Agriculture and the economics of ecosystems and biodiversity -- P. Sukhdev, TEEBby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN162 views
- 54:27 The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversityby YaleUniversity472 views
- 1:00:01 Relaxing HD Nature Scene #3: 60 minutes of Woodland Ambience with Birds & Trickling Stream Soundsby Ephemeral Rift1,341,994 views