How to Pick a Lock
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 14, 2008
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Home Security & Safety videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/154-Hom...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Locked yourself out of the house? Most common pin and tumbler locks can be picked with a little luck and finesse—so before you call a locksmith, try this.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Only pick your own locks—or you could wind up in a lot of trouble.
Step 1: Get a paperclip
Get a paperclip or safety pin and bend it straight. Now make a slight upwards bend at the very end.
You can buy a professional lock pick set at a hardware store. There is a basic size intended for American locks.
Step 2: Insert the wrench
Insert your wrench into the lower part of the keyhole—that is, the side opposite the one where the key's teeth would go in.
Step 3: Determine direction
Figure out which way the lock needs to be turned to open by turning the wrench clockwise and then counterclockwise. You'll feel which way has more give.
Step 4: Turn the lock
Turn the lock the correct way with the wrench, putting slight pressure on it. Hold the wrench in place.
Step 5: Insert the paperclip
While keeping pressure on the lock, insert the end of the paperclip into the top part of the keyhole.
Step 6: Feel for pins
Feel around the keyhole with the paperclip until you locate the pins. If you're picking a common door lock, there will most likely be at least five of them in a row.
Before you start, many experts suggest 'raking' the lock. Straighten your second paperclip, put a few bends at the wire's end, and—with no pressure on your wrench—shove it to the back of the lock. Now pull it out quickly, pressing against the top of the lock while gently turning your wrench. You might just set a pin or two that way.
Step 7: Push up
Now for the actual 'picking.' One at a time, push each pin up with the paperclip. Try to feel for the moment when the pin reaches its 'unlocked' position. You should feel a slight give—or even hear a faint click.
Start with the pin furthest away from you—then move on to the next.
Step 8: Increase the pressure
As you go, apply slightly more pressure with the wrench until you have all the pins lifted up.
Step 9: Turn the wrench
Now turn the wrench fully. Voila! The lock will pop open.
Did You Know?
Wooden locks were used as far back as 4,000 years ago in ancient Egypt.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:43 How To Pick Any Lock Fast!by HowToBasic Featured 1,283,654
- 2:06 How to Pick Any Padlock or Combination Lockby Howcast1,071,383 views
- 1:55 How to Do the Floating Coffee Cup Trick | Magic Tricksby Howcast45,559 views
- 2:21 How to Hot-Wire a Carby Howcast1,676,233 views
- 1:35 How to Win at Heads or Tails Every Timeby Howcast2,894,118 views
- 18:47 Pick a Lock in SECONDS with a Bump Key - Scam Schoolby Scam School2,554,392 views
- 17:22 (185) Improve Your Lock Picking Skills (for Beginners)by bosnianbill330,246 views
- 8 videos Play all How to write like an architectby howtoarchitect
- 4:43 How to Pick a Lock with a Soda Canby HelpMeBeHelpful763,100 views
- 1:57 Mysterious Lightbulb Hackby kipkay5,348,466 views
- 2:35 How to make fire using only a Orangeby mrhappy012115,323,920 views
- 3:17 10 new bets that you will always win (6)by Quirkology10,783,749 views
- Terrence Kelleman 202 videos12K
- 9:33 How to Make a Paperclip Lock Pick that Worksby ITStactical1,642,409 views
- 7:44 How to Open a Padlock with a Coke Canby ITStactical1,501,994 views
- 2:16 Is Your Girlfriend Cheating? Here's one way to find out!by kipkay7,702,270 views
- 1:12 How to Escape from Handcuffs!by kipkay12,082,975 views
- 4:36 How to play any song with four chords on the pianoby ionbranson554,918 views
- 1:34 Unlock a car door with a tennis ballby AQF12,013,650 views
- 1:06 Lock picking - How to detect security pinsby devonlocks2,771,749 views