How To Pick a Lock
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 14, 2008
Watch more Home Security & Safety videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/154-Hom...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://howc.st/uLaHRS
Before you call a locksmith, try this.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://howc.st/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Health Channel - http://howc.st/HOE3aY
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://howc.st/tYKKrk
Howcast Tech Channel - http://howc.st/rx9FwR
Howcast Food Channel - http://howc.st/umBoJX
Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - http://howc.st/vmB86i
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://howc.st/vKjUjm
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://howc.st/vbbNt3
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Only pick your own locks—or you could wind up in a lot of trouble.
Step 1: Get a paperclip
Get a paperclip or safety pin and bend it straight. Now make a slight upwards bend at the very end.
You can buy a professional lock pick set at a hardware store. There is a basic size intended for American locks.
Step 2: Insert the wrench
Insert your wrench into the lower part of the keyhole—that is, the side opposite the one where the key's teeth would go in.
Step 3: Determine direction
Figure out which way the lock needs to be turned to open by turning the wrench clockwise and then counterclockwise. You'll feel which way has more give.
Step 4: Turn the lock
Turn the lock the correct way with the wrench, putting slight pressure on it. Hold the wrench in place.
Step 5: Insert the paperclip
While keeping pressure on the lock, insert the end of the paperclip into the top part of the keyhole.
Step 6: Feel for pins
Feel around the keyhole with the paperclip until you locate the pins. If you're picking a common door lock, there will most likely be at least five of them in a row.
Before you start, many experts suggest "raking" the lock. Straighten your second paperclip, put a few bends at the wire's end, and—with no pressure on your wrench—shove it to the back of the lock. Now pull it out quickly, pressing against the top of the lock while gently turning your wrench. You might just set a pin or two that way.
Step 7: Push up
Now for the actual "picking." One at a time, push each pin up with the paperclip. Try to feel for the moment when the pin reaches its "unlocked" position. You should feel a slight give—or even hear a faint click.
Start with the pin furthest away from you—then move on to the next.
Step 8: Increase the pressure
As you go, apply slightly more pressure with the wrench until you have all the pins lifted up.
Step 9: Turn the wrench
Now turn the wrench fully. Voila! The lock will pop open.
Did You Know?
Wooden locks were used as far back as 4,000 years ago in ancient Egypt.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:36 Big Think Mentorby BigThinkMentorFeatured 52,159
- 2:06 How To Pick Any Padlock or Combination Lockby Howcast 835,027 views
- 1:52 How To Get Into Your House With a Credit Card When You're Locked Outby Howcast 376,936 views
- 2:21 How To Hot-Wire a Carby Howcast 1,422,904 views
- 2:12 How To Detect a Lieby Howcast 1,765,989 views
- 18:47 Pick a Lock in SECONDS with a Bump Key - Scam Schoolby scamschool 1,296,773 views
- 10:39 How to Crack the Combination of a Master Lockby JJGeorgy 254,462 views
- 1:33 Unlock a car door with a tennis ballby AQF 10,061,564 views
- 7:44 How to Open a Padlock with a Coke Canby ITStactical 1,115,089 views
- 1:54 His Hand Doesn't Even Moveby ItMustBeCollege 6,723,259 views
- 1:21 Cigarette Bar Trickby easybartricks1 6,794,541 views
- 5:03 How It's Made - Hot Dogsby KlingonSpider 9,183,009 views
- 43:28 America's Got Talent 2012 Episode 10by Khwaileh85 56,853,897 views
- 1:30 How to make a Lockpicking Setby Mikeyduky 579,861 views
- 49 videos Play all lock pickby mgkilgore
- 6:20 How to Tell if a Girl Likes Youby teengirladvice 659,444 views
- 0:39 Bar Tricks: Burning Matchby bartrickscollection 415,205 views
- 2:50 How To Wake Up Early When You Absolutely Have Toby Howcast 1,053,822 views
- 4:19 DEEP FRIED ICE CREAMby robjnixon 816,632 views
- 1:58 How To Levitateby Howcast 1,827,461 views
- 1:35 How to Win At Heads or Tails Every Timeby Howcast 2,326,252 views
- Loading more suggestions...