ARC VIDEO - Amnesiac Quartet - Tribute To Radiohead
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 4, 2011
AMNESIAC QUARTET: TRIBUTE TO RADIOHEAD
Led by pianist Sebastien Paindestre, France's Amnesiac Quartet pays homage to the iconic British band Radiohead with Tribute to Radiohead. The disc is an endearing live set of instrumental renditions of five Radiohead songs, each with extended open space for intense improvising from Paindestre, soprano saxophonist Fabrice Theuillon, bassist Joachim Florent, and drummer Antoine Paganotti.
The opening "Everything in its Right Place" settles into a soothing groove with Paindestre's enveloping Rhodes vamp and Theuillon's mellow rendering of the melody, eerily recalling the timbre and inflection of Radiohead vocalist Thom Yorke. The saxophonist weaves an interesting solo over the building intensity of the rhythm section. The boisterous "Morning Bell" is given a similar adherence to the original; loose yet faithful in spirit. Here, Paindestre's Herbie Hancock-influenced lines are especially poignant over Paganotti's rolling snare drum pattern.
The quartet embraces a somewhat lighter approach with the repetitive minor-key waltz "A Wolf at the Door," featuring a memorable bass solo by Florent and the hauntingly expressive ballad "Sail to the Moon." The latter emphasizes communal expressiveness over individual showmanship. The closing "I Might Be Wrong" lays out a lyrical theme over an ultra-funky bass and drum vamp with Florent's pulsating bass lines high up in the mix. The tune's feel is reminiscent of late 1970s Weather Report with Theuillon revealing a Wayne Shorter influence.
With a tight ensemble sound and exceptional soloing, Amnesiac Quartet maintains the inherent beauty heard in the music of Radiohead while tapping into seemingly unlimited potential for future improvisers interested in unique source material.
[John Barron, All About Jazz]
Track Listing: Everything in its Right Place; Morning Bell; A Wolf at the Door; Sail to the Moon; I Might Be Wrong.
Personnel: Sebastien Paindestre: keyboard; Joachim Florent: upright bass; Fabrice Theuillon: soprano saxophone; Antoine Paganotti: drums.
ARTISTS RECORDING COLLECTIVE
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Everything In Its Right Place" on
- 2:29 L'interdite: french musette waltz, Galanti accordion accordeonby bunelikFeatured 15,159
- 13:33 Hervé Lebongo Quartet (2) @ Le Baiser Salé (13.11.10)by bomosur 1,561 views
- 13:03 Pierre Perchaud (guit) trio avec Nicolas Moreaux (Basse) et Antoine Paganotti (drums)by pperchaud 1,951 views
- 9:05 « AMNESIAC Quartet » Tribute to Radiohead au Duc des Lombardsby ducdeslombards75 2,989 views
- 6:58 Jean Louis - Tourlacby CrimsonKingl2 240 views
- 9:59 imperial4tetby imperial4tet 1,013 views
- 5:58 BOHP 4 quartet Les adretsby BOHPQuartet 631 views
- 10:38 Fabrizio Cecca's Southern Avenue Project (special guest: Nicola Stilo)by squanck 2,671 views
- 4:03 Clotilde Rullaud 4tet - In Extremis - This is itby estenouest 1,743 views
- 7:05 Concert Jazz Radiation 10 Jazzebre Conservatoire Perpignan (Part 4)by patgrigri 255 views
- 3:52 Radiohead - Little By Little (кавер)by Adaxioxius 730 views
- 10:49 Keith Pray Quartet "Gingerbread Boy"by Keith Pray 191 views
- 1:53 Jean Louis @ Rytmikellari Raaheby villefi 510 views
- 1:30 ARC-2109 Will Matthews, Mel Rhyne, Kenny Phelps, Bobby Watson - COUNT ON SWINGINby ARCmusiclabel 504 views
- 2:42 The Wolf Is At The Door by Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choiceby rockinjawjaredhead 2,069 views
- 4:22 Modern Meditations Imagineby modernclassics19 994 views
- 7:20 S.P trio @ Duc des Lombardsby jazzseb 2,816 views
- 3:25 The Price We Pay : John Greavesby forcesenpresence 1,029 views
- 5:18 Group Sax Radiohead cover, "Everything In Its Right Place"by CarolinaCreatesMusic 401 views
- 3:47 Wolf at the Doorby frankenpine 473 views
- Loading more suggestions...