Naval Ravikant of AngelList - TWiST #244
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 2, 2012
1:00-2:00 Hi everyone, we're excited to have Naval Ravikant, the co-founder of AngelList, with us on the program today.
2:00-3:00 How many people have raised money on AngelList?
3:00-4:45 When did the first A round get done on AngelList?
4:45-6:15 So you think moderate success is the hard part?
6:15-8:45 What's an actual, true overnight success?
8:45-11:45 What do you think when you hear a story of someone like OMGPOP?
11:45-12:15 Would AngelList have worked ten years ago? What were your prior attempts?
12:15-14:30 How do you respond to the critique that weak companies are getting funded and there are too many startups?
14:30-17:00 Thank you to LiquidWeb for supporting TWiST! Show you appreciate them backing independent media by tweeting thanks to @LiquidWeb!
17:00-19:15 So, when a lot of people follow a company but they don't close the round, how does the entrepreneur take that?
19:15-20:00 So people are raising money from folks like Dave McClure?
20:00-23:00 As an angel, what should I be doing? Should I join a VC firm?
23:00-25:00 There are people who call themselves broker and will help you make deals. Is this normal?
25:00-27:30 How do you respond to VCs who have tried to paint you in a negative light? What are the criticisms?
27:30-31:00 So Obama's jobs act passed this week. What impact do you think that will have?
31:00-34:30 I saw that Democrats were fighting this citing fears that people will get scammed. Is that a valid concern?
34:30-35:30 If you could raise a million dollars every year, you could essentially fund a Facebook-like company within a few years.
35:30-37:00 Is there a bubble in the angel space?
37:00-41:45 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for their support! Thank them @ScottEdWalker!
41:45-43:30 So how does the stock market affect things?
43:30-43:45 Do you think you're creating more angel investors?
45:45-48:30 What do you think the impact of the Facebook IPO will be?
48:30-50:00 Do you think Kickstarter is going to start taking equity?
50:00-55:00 Aside from disrupting the space and helping entrepreneurs, what is AngelList in the business of?
55:00-56:00 If you force CEOs to take ownership of recruiting instead of outsourcing it, you get better results.
56:00-58:00 What's your advice for someone who wants to put a company on the site?
58:00-59:30 How big is your team now?
59:30-1:03:00 What's your goal in life now?
1:03:00-1:05:00 Is being a billionaire a goal for you?
1:05:00-1:06:45 Do you know what the SEC thinks of AngelList?
1:06:45-1:10:15 Have you had any bad experiences with VCs? What's the worst story you've ever heard about a VC interaction?
1:10:15-1:12:30 What do you think of the space we're in now? What does the future hold?
1:12:30-1:13:15 Naval, this conversation has been so amazing. Thank you so much for coming on the program. We'll see you all next time!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Multilingual? Translate this episode of TWiST into another language and email the transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH: LAUNCH Education & Kids, June 12 and 13 LAUNCH Festival Wrap-up: Winners, Investments and More Where Over $1M in LAUNCH Festival Prize Money is Going LAUNCH Festival 2012 Winners Who Launched at the 2012 LAUNCH Festival
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Standard YouTube License
- 1:20:20 - Startups - News Roundtable with Howard Lindzon and Tim Stevens-TWiST #E348by ThisWeekIn 2,108 views
- 1:24:34 - Startups - News Roundtable with Sarah Lacy, David Kirkpatrick and Paul Carr-TWiST #E350by This Week In 1,988 views
- 1:02:20 David Sacks Founder of Yammer - TWiST#354by This Week In 76 views
- 1:04:06 News Roundtable with Thomas Korte and Luke Beatty-TWiST #E352by This Week In 1,433 views
- 45:36 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya Managing Partner of The Social+Capital Partnership -TWiST #E339by ThisWeekIn 1,656 views
- 1:07:55 - Startups - All Ask Jason - Fundraising #E347by ThisWeekIn 1,533 views
- 40:03 - Startups - Walker Corporate Law Startup of the Week #23- ZenPayrollby This Week In 1,136 views
- 56:27 - Startups - Matt Galligan CEO and Co-Founder, Circa #E349by ThisWeekIn 1,636 views
- 53:30 Jake Quist CEO and Co-Founder Zillabyte - TWiST#353by This Week In 429 views
- 52:36 - Startups - Evan Williams Co-founder, Twitter & Co-Founder, Obvious #E345by ThisWeekIn 2,992 views
- 1:04:00 - Startups - Doug Rushkoff, Media Theorist and Author-TWiST #E341by This Week In 1,890 views
- 1:26:39 - Startups - New Roundtable with Baratunde Thurston and Anthony Ha -TWiST #E338by This Week In 1,762 views
- 1:16:31 - Startups - News Roundtable with Gina Bianchini and Matt Buchanan-TWiST #E346by This Week In 1,463 views
- 1:12:41 - Startups - News Roundtable with Cyan Banister and Vivek Wadhwa-TWiST #E342by ThisWeekIn 1,828 views
- 1:15:08 - Startups - News Roundtable with Rafe Needleman and Michael Robertson-TWiST #E344by ThisWeekIn 1,449 views
- 50:44 - Startups - Walker Corporate Law Startup of the Week #24- Upstartby This Week In 870 views
- 1:00:11 - Startups - Mattias Miksche CEO and Co-Founder Stardoll-TWiST #E343by ThisWeekIn 1,131 views
- 1:14:05 - Startups - News Roundtable with Henry Blodget and Mike Isaac-TWiST #E340by This Week In 1,884 views
- 33:12 - Startups - Walker Corporate Law Startup of the Week #22- Everestby ThisWeekIn 1,125 views
- 56:54 - Startups - Kristoph Matthews CEO & Founder of Boxbee -TWiST #E351by This Week In 1,418 views
- Loading more suggestions...