Elvis Presley and his Jets
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 29, 2011
April 17, 1975 Elvis bought a Convair 880 Jet, recently taken out of service by Delta Airlines, for the then-substantial sum of $250,000. After refurbishing, the total exceeded $600,000. He immediately rechristened it the Lisa Marie.
Earlier Elvis had paid a $75,000 deposit on a Boeing 707 but the deal fell through. The previous owner had been Robert Vesco, the fugitive financier who had fled to South America after allegedly embezzling hundreds of millions of dollars from international investment firms. Buying his plane would involve some complicated wrangling with the IRS. And Elvis was warned about another complication: If the plane ever landed in any of the countries Vesco was establishing a base in, there was every reason to believe that he might try to seize it.
The Convair 880 had a clean record and would have no problem flying to any country around the globe.
So that's the plane Elvis purchased.
The plane was in a hangar at Meacham Field in Fort Worth, and for months Elvis took great pleasure in flying friends out to check on progress as the interior of the plane was refurbished to his very specific design requirements (he bought another plane to make those trips - a smaller Lockheed JetStar). Elvis wanted a seating area, a conference room, and a private bedroom on the plane (with space for an in-flight reading library). He picked fabrics, decided on color schemes, chose the on-board audio-visual system, and even Ok'd the gold fixtures in the bathrooms (he counted heavily on some aesthetic input from Priscilla, too).
Elvis was especially excited about the fact that the same design team had previously customized Air Force One. The craft slowly came together as an airworthy mix of modem function and Graceland elegance.
Close in size to a 707, the Lisa Marie was customized with plush sleeping quarters, a penthouse bedroom with a custom-made queen size bed, an executive bathroom with gold faucets and a gold washbasin, a videotape system linked to four TVs and a stereo system with fifty-two speakers, and a conference room finished in teak.
It could hold a maximum of 29 people, but usually there would be about eight or 10. When the final paint job was applied to the exterior, there was a prominent 'TCB' logo on the tail.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Memphis (Live) (1995 Digital Remaster)" on
- 5:17 Elvis On The Moveby eptcb2001Featured 182,669
- 6:40 Lisa Marie Presley about Michael Jackson (OPRAH) PART 2by LovelyDarkAngel67 321,282 views
- 3:33 Elvis Presley's Jet - Lisa Marieby boyetoby's channel 1,223 views
- 3:24 The Lisa Marie Plane!by IzzyBug99 4,140 views
- 5:59 Bedroomby christmasworld 68,333 views
- 1:51 Upstairs At Gracelandby MusicByGreg 132,694 views
- 7:12 Graceland Tour Part 1by ryandanielt 106,403 views
- 4:25 Last Beverly Hills Home of Elvis Presley & Michael Jacksonby Granite Shield permanent sealing process 13,984 views
- 13:51 Lisa Marie Presley on Oprah (2006,Graceland tour)by TheLisamariepresleyf 36,156 views
- 10:08 Graceland 2009 Elvis Presley's Homeby epfan1000's channel 377,128 views
- 1:37 TWA Convair CV-880-"Take-off San Diego"-1971by "Music & Airplanes" 5,380 views
- 7:36 Ex-TWA Convair CV-880 Departing From Mojaveby Your Home For Classic Aviation 143,947 views
- 1:08 ELVIS: KING OF BLINGby ElvisTheTribute2 1,140 views
- 2:09 taking a look at Elvis cars in Memphisby Jay Davies 44,615 views
- 6:52 ELVIS' AUDUBON DRIVE HOME, INSIDE TOUR 2002. MIKE FREEMAN TOURS.by jaarno video productions 42,732 views
- 2:06 Lisa Marie - Airplaneby Charlene Souza 34,635 views
- 6:50 McDonnell 220 Biz-Jet-"Promo Film"-1959by mcdonnell220 9,475 views
- 15:00 Coup de Ville Part 2by seonfox 5,229 views
- 1:20 Elvis Press interview - The King shows his sense of humorby liauw2 872,283 views
- 5:35 PRISCILLA and LISA MARIE Discuss ELVIS on TODAY, Elvis Week, 2012by JERSEY GUY (Elvis Song Stylist, Guy Kent) SINGS FOR YOU! 22,916 views
- Loading more suggestions...