Elvis Presley and his Jets
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 29, 2011
April 17, 1975 Elvis bought a Convair 880 Jet, recently taken out of service by Delta Airlines, for the then-substantial sum of $250,000. After refurbishing, the total exceeded $600,000. He immediately rechristened it the Lisa Marie.
Earlier Elvis had paid a $75,000 deposit on a Boeing 707 but the deal fell through. The previous owner had been Robert Vesco, the fugitive financier who had fled to South America after allegedly embezzling hundreds of millions of dollars from international investment firms. Buying his plane would involve some complicated wrangling with the IRS. And Elvis was warned about another complication: If the plane ever landed in any of the countries Vesco was establishing a base in, there was every reason to believe that he might try to seize it.
The Convair 880 had a clean record and would have no problem flying to any country around the globe.
So that's the plane Elvis purchased.
The plane was in a hangar at Meacham Field in Fort Worth, and for months Elvis took great pleasure in flying friends out to check on progress as the interior of the plane was refurbished to his very specific design requirements (he bought another plane to make those trips - a smaller Lockheed JetStar). Elvis wanted a seating area, a conference room, and a private bedroom on the plane (with space for an in-flight reading library). He picked fabrics, decided on color schemes, chose the on-board audio-visual system, and even Ok'd the gold fixtures in the bathrooms (he counted heavily on some aesthetic input from Priscilla, too).
Elvis was especially excited about the fact that the same design team had previously customized Air Force One. The craft slowly came together as an airworthy mix of modem function and Graceland elegance.
Close in size to a 707, the Lisa Marie was customized with plush sleeping quarters, a penthouse bedroom with a custom-made queen size bed, an executive bathroom with gold faucets and a gold washbasin, a videotape system linked to four TVs and a stereo system with fifty-two speakers, and a conference room finished in teak.
It could hold a maximum of 29 people, but usually there would be about eight or 10. When the final paint job was applied to the exterior, there was a prominent 'TCB' logo on the tail.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Memphis (Live) (1995 Digital Remaster)" on
- 2:03:52 이박사와 이작가의 이이제이,43회,노태우 특집by dharma east Featured 5,553
- 13:51 Lisa Marie Presley on Oprah (2006,Graceland tour)by TheLisamariepresleyf70,940 views
- 5:00 Elvis Presley - Another Plane Another Tourby Maurice Magne600 views
- 3:24 The Lisa Marie Plane!by Isabella Scott6,139 views
- 3:45 Elvis in the Indianapolis Airport - June 26 1977by Jacquie Ulmo267,427 views
- 1:10 inside Elvis Presley's plane_1by acda550,156 views
- 14:58 Katherine Jackson and the kids on Oprah part 2/3by SupportMPPB235,143 views
- 5:59 Bedroomby christmasworld74,578 views
- 1:51 Upstairs At Gracelandby MusicByGreg189,203 views
- 16:06 Lockheed Fanstarby Jimmy Farris1,033 views
- 4:07 The Day I Met Elvisby Daniel McNew18,735 views
- 15:00 Coup de Ville Part 2by seonfox | clinetube5,520 views
- 1:21 Elvis Press interview - The King shows his sense of humorby liauw21,078,381 views
- 6:49 Delta Convair CV-880 Promo Film - 1960 - Part l/llby Classic Airliners & Vintage Pop Culture57,250 views
- 3:11 Elvis Presley & Lisa Marie Presley "In the Ghetto"by adibou59240122,994 views
- 9:14 Lockheed Jetstar II Take Off and Landing Cockpit View [HD]by bobert57616,916 views
- 5:32 Lockheed Jetstar Landing at Washington Dullesby Jimmy Farris11,222 views
- 8:17 Lockheed Jetstar II, In-Flight 003.AVIby Jimmy Farris4,223 views
- 4:25 Last Beverly Hills Home of Elvis Presley & Michael Jacksonby graniteshield15,809 views
- 9:59 Virtual Tour of Elvis Presley's Gracelandby Calvin Wiseman13,123 views
- Loading more suggestions...