How to Survive a Bear Attack
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 22, 2008
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Disaster Survival & Worst-Case Scenarios videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/88-Disa...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
So you've finally escaped to the great outdoors. Good for you. But watch out for bears, or you may need to escape from the great outdoors.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Reverse direction
If you've already had your head ripped off during a bear encounter, we probably can't help you.
However, if the bear has not yet ripped off your head because you saw him first, off in the distance, you should slowly and quietly begin walking in the opposite direction until he's out of sight.
Then calmly stay put for about a half hour.
While you're waiting, sing, talk, or make some noise. Also, now is not the time for a smelly, bear-enticing snack!
Step 2: Walk noisily
With the coast clear, resume your walk. But make noise so the bear knows you're around. The truth is, that bear doesn't want to run into you, either.
Step 3: Avoid eye contact
Uh, oh. Despite your best efforts, Smokey The Bear's evil twin is suddenly standing in front of you, calmly considering his options. First off, do not make eye contact. The bear will take it as a direct challenge to his authority, and he will rip your head off.
Step 4: Slowly back away
Back away slowly while speaking in a soft voice.
Right about now would be a good time to make a deal with God.
Step 5: Don't flee
Holy crap, the bear is charging. Do not run! He will chase you down and rip your head off.
Instead, stand perfectly still. If he stops his charge, slowly back away again, speaking softly.
Step 6: Play dead
If the bear attacks, protect your head with your arms, curl up in a fetal position, and pretend you're dead. Or try hitting him directly in the nose. Some experts think a quick punch works better than submissiveness.
Step 7: Have pepper spray next time
Next time, don't go into the woods without bear repellent pepper spray. Just be sure to familiarize yourself with its proper use.
Did You Know?
You are more likely to be struck by lightning than mauled by a bear.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:45 How to Survive a Killer Bee Attackby Howcast Featured 230,365
- 1:50 How to Survive a Shark Attackby Howcast388,179 views
- 2:47 How to Survive an Alien Abductionby Howcast333,700 views
- 2:49 How to Tell if Your Girlfriend's a Psychoby Howcast1,108,816 views
- 3:09 How to Survive If You're Lost in the Woodsby Howcast276,970 views
- 1:47 How to Survive Prison Lifeby Howcast320,808 views
- 1:41 Yellowstone National Park Grizzly Bear Attack Leaves Hiker Deadby ABC News792,143 views
- 2:26 How to Survive 2012: End of the Worldby Howcast1,761,480 views
- 41 videos Play all Minecraft Tutorials - How to Surviveby paulsoaresjr
- 2:40 How to Tongue Kiss | Kissing Tutorialsby Howcast1,531,543 views
- 3:38 How to Twerk | Club Dance Movesby Howcast19,549,078 views
- 1:53 How to Protect Yourself from Stingraysby Howcast182,482 views
- 2:23 How to Survive an Airplane Crashby Howcast1,382,454 views
- 1:46 How to Know If Your Children Do Drugsby Howcast537,485 views
- 2:32 How to Outwit Carniesby Howcast185,094 views
- 2:43 How to Escape a Kidnapper as an Adultby Howcast478,558 views
- 2:38 How to Pick a Great Airline Seatby Howcast620,152 views
- 1:25 How to Successfully Beg for Moneyby Howcast665,329 views
- 2:50 How to Get through Airport Securityby Howcast591,534 views
- 2:02 How to Kiss Someone at Schoolby Thotnet11,093,946 views