This video is unavailable.
Sergeant Clinton Romesha awarded Medal of Honor
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 11, 2013
President Barack Obama on Monday awarded former Army Staff Sergeant Clinton Romesha the Medal of Honor, the highest U.S. award for valor in combat, for leading a few dozen soldiers to fight off an attack by hundreds of Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan.
Obama placed the blue-and-white decoration around Romesha's neck at a White House ceremony. Romesha, 31, of Minot, North Dakota, is the fourth living service member to receive the Medal of Honor for action in Afghanistan or Iraq.
"I called Clint to tell him that he would receive this medal," Obama said at the ceremony. "He said he was honored, but he also said, 'It wasn't just me, it was a team effort.'"
Romesha, a Fourth Infantry Division section leader, rallied 53 U.S. soldiers to fight off about 300 heavily armed Taliban insurgents on October 3, 2009, at Combat Outpost Keating, isolated in a rugged part of eastern Afghanistan, according to his medal citation.
The battle killed eight U.S. soldiers and wounded 22.
Insurgents armed with mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and anti-aircraft guns attacked the outpost at dawn from four sides, the citation said. They overran much of the base and set it on fire.
Awakened by the attack, Romesha moved under intense enemy fire to reconnoiter and seek reinforcements before returning to action with the support of an assistant gunner, the citation said.
Using a machine gun, Romesha wiped out a Taliban machine gun team. While firing on a second team, a rocket-propelled grenade smashed into the generator he was using for cover and shrapnel wounded him in the neck, hip and arm.
When another soldier arrived to aid him and the assistant gunner, Romesha again "rushed through the exposed avenue to assemble additional soldiers," the citation said.
Romesha then gathered together a five-man team and returned to the fight, this time armed with a sniper rifle.
He shot dead three Taliban fighters who had breached the outpost's wire, the citation said. He called in air strikes that killed more than 30 insurgents, then he and his team provided covering fire that let three wounded soldiers reach the aid station. He and his men also moved 100 meters under heavy fire to recover the bodies of dead soldiers, the citation said.
After the ceremony, an emotional Romesha, who left the Army in 2011, told reporters he had accepted the award on behalf of those he fought with at Keating and was "conflicted" about it.
"The joy comes from recognition for us doing our jobs as soldiers on distant battlefields, but it's countered by the constant reminder of the loss of our battle buddies, my battle buddies, my soldiers, my friends," Romesha said, his hands shaking as he read a statement.
Nine Silver Stars and 18 Bronze Stars were awarded for the Keating fight. It was the subject of the book "The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor," by CNN reporter Jake Tapper.
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patryn.worldl...
Standard YouTube License
- 4:12 Dakota Meyer Discusses His Medal of Honorby David DeGerolamo 6,601 views
- 11:53 Clinton Romesha Presented the Medal of Honorby Audie Murphy American Legend 3,314 views
- 5:01 Romesha: There wasn't time to be afraidby CNN 10,669 views
- 18:11 FULL White House Medal of Honor Presentation to Sergeant First Class Leroy Petryby US Military 20,818 views
- 3:20 Former Army Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha remarks after the Medal of Honor ceremonyby stripeschannel 5,943 views
- 30:05 Medal of Honor recipient Sergeant Dakota Meyer (USMC) Part 1by TheStockdalecenter 4,917 views
- 25:18 Medal of Honor Ceremony: President Obama Awards Clinton Romesha MOHby okrajoe 1,060 views
- 10 videos Play all Today in News: January 12thby NewsyHub
- 14:49 Medal of Honor recipient recalls deadly ambushby CBSNewsOnline 256,801 views
- 1:11:38 Marine Corps Ceremony for Sgt. Dakota Meyer, Medal of Honor Recipientby US Military 127,729 views
- 3:28 U.S. Marine Sgt. Dakota Meyer, MOH recipient, visit to Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, SCby US Military 6,395 views
- 1:58 Romesha: "Everything was a target"by CNN 9,194 views
- 4:17 Interview with Marine Medal of Honor Recipient Sgt. Dakota Meyerby US Military 29,950 views
- 23:04 President Obama Awards the Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant Clinton L. Romeshaby Helmut Zermin 5,867 views
- 6:29 Marine receives Medal of Honor at White House - CNNby semperfi14733 17,889 views
- 16:20 Sgt. Dakota Meyer Medal of Honor Ceremony, White House.by US Military 24,470 views
- 1:53 Obama to Award Medal of Honor to Afghanistan Veteranby NewsyHub 1,515 views
- 26:47 Citizen Soldier: Into the Fire featuring Medal of Honor Recipient Dakota Meyer and Bing Westby PMLpresents 2,005 views
- 4:33 Teen Who Flipped Off Judge Makes Emotional Apology in Court Todayby Shoesh McGoesh 935,732 views
- 1:27 LATEST NEWS : Obama : I will present the medal honor to Clinton Romeshaby TodayNewsWorld 3,646 views
- 21:59 Obama: Medal of Honor Winner 'Humble, Heroic'by PBSNewsHour 97,165 views
- Loading more suggestions...