Undercover Investigation at Hy-Line Hatchery
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 29, 2009
Thrown, dropped, mutilated, and ground-up alive. This is the disturbing reality faced by hundreds of thousands of chicks each day at the world's largest egg-laying breed hatchery Hy-Line International in Spencer, Iowa.
New hidden camera footage obtained at this facility during a http://www.MercyForAnimals.org undercover investigation gives a disturbing glimpse into the cruel and industrialized reality of modern hatcheries.
The warm, comforting, and protective wings of these newly hatched chicks' mothers have been replaced with massive machines, quickly moving conveyor belts, harsh handling, and distressing noise. These young animals are sorted, discarded, and handled like mere cogs in a machine.
For the nearly 150,000 male chicks who hatch every 24 hours at this Hy-Line facility, their lives begin and end the same day. Grabbed by their fragile wings by workers known as "sexers," who separate males from females, these young animals are callously thrown into chutes and hauled away to their deaths. They are destined to die on day one because they cannot produce eggs and do not grow large or fast enough to be raised profitably for meat. Their lives are cut short when they are dropped into a grinding machine tossed around by a spinning auger before being torn to pieces by a high-pressure macerator.
Over 21 million male chicks meet their fate this way each year at this facility.
For the surviving females, this is the beginning of a life of cruelty and confinement at the hands of the egg industry. Before even leaving the hatchery they will be snapped by their heads into a spinning debeaker a portion of their sensitive beaks removed by a laser. Workers toss and rummage through them before they are placed 100 per crowded box and shipped across the country.
The callous disregard for animal welfare at this facility is not isolated. In fact, the conditions documented during this investigation are completely standard and acceptable within the commercial egg industry. Referred to by Hy-Line corporate leaders as mere "genetic products," these chicks are treated just as they are viewed as inanimate objects, rather than the sentient creatures they are.
Driven by consumer demand, the egg industry will continue to exploit, abuse, and kill day-old animals as long as doing so remains profitable. Empowered consumers can put their ethics on the table by choosing kindness over cruelty at each meal by adopting an animal-friendly vegan diet.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:24 What Are Chicken Nuggets Made Of?by The Young TurksFeatured 6,843,044
- 1:42 Oprah KFC Chicken Giveaway Protestby Mercy For Animals 21,428 views
- 4:15 Mercy For Animals' 2010 Year in Reviewby mercyforanimals 12,280 views
- 7:16 Rodeo Investigationby mercyforanimals 3,493 views
- 6:46 Vegan Baking: Tips for Cooking Without Eggsby Mercy For Animals 48,954 views
- 7:56 Live Fast Die Young - the life of a meat chickenby CIWFFOOTAGE 377,374 views
- 4:55 DISCOVERY CHICK SEXINGby snaekrej 319,797 views
- 11:48 Extreme animal cruelty in Australia *WARNING EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES OF ANIMAL CRUELTY*by TheLastOutpost 326,361 views
- 1:11 Caught On Tape: Angry McDonalds Customer Rages Over Lack Of Chicken McNuggetsby SmarTrend News 1,391,818 views
- 4:44 Meet the Super Cowby National Geographic 32,211,652 views
- 2:21 300000 RPM Fast magnet wireless motorby Alfacentauro1111 921,765 views
- 7:26 Dirty Jobs Chick Sexer part1by ФЕРМЕР.RU Главный фермерский портал 83,194 views
- 5:02 Muffin Monster Grinder Demonstrationby JWC Environmental 1,966,037 views
- 1:58 Still drinking coca cola? Watch this!by Radcliffe17 10,877,662 views
- 9:15 Incubation and the Hatchery - Part 2by 8thstep 54,040 views
- 31 videos Play all Newsby ilove9the4Jonas1Bros
- 1:33 Unlock a car door with a tennis ballby AQF 9,739,120 views
- 6:42 The girl who silenced the world for 5 minutesby Kim Seong Lee 26,088,687 views
- 6:20 Undercover Video at a California Egg Farmby vegvideo 81,715 views
- 5:27 Undercover Pig Farm Investigationby vegvideo 144,488 views
- 0:57 Crush 4000Kg of Frozen Meat in 20 Seconds?by FPEUK 188,017 views
- Loading more suggestions...