Inspiring MasterChef USA Audition (Season 3 Episode 1) - Christine Ha: Blind Chef
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 10, 2012
Christine Ha Is MasterChef's First Blind Contestant!
Article from People website: http://www.people.com/people/article/...
Chefs rely heavily on their sense of taste and smell to cook -- especially if they're blind like MasterChef contestant Christine Ha.
"I have to depend a lot more on the other senses to cook -- taste, smell, how certain ingredients feel," she tells PEOPLE. "I'll know if a piece of meat is close to being done by how it feels against my hand or utensils."
Christine, 33, has been diagnosed with neuromyelitis optica (NMO), a condition of the central nervous system that affects the optic nerves and spinal cord.
"The very first bout I had was in 1999," she says of the condition. "It only happened in one eye then. It didn't recover completely so I learned to adjust to seeing out of one eye. In 2004, it decreased to the level where I could no longer drive. In 2007, it decreased to where I am now. I have to use a cane to walk around or take somebody's arm and be guided."
Christine is ready to prove herself on the show, which premieres Monday (9 p.m. ET) on Fox. "It's hard to see ingredients," she says. "I have to figure out by smell and touch if an ingredient is fresh. Cutting with knives -- fortunately, I'm pretty careful and I have a proper knife technique. Since I've lost my vision, I've cut myself once. And it was minor. I've never had to get stitches. It's really about being organized, careful and using my other senses."
And she won't be getting any special help from the judges Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich. "Joe, Gordon and Graham didn't treat me any differently," she says. "They told me what was wrong and right with my dish. There was constructive criticism. I feel like they judged fairly."
Still, nerves were a factor for Christine when she began the competition. "I had never been this nervous in my life -- even on my wedding day," she says. "It was the most anxiety I've felt in a day. It's already scary to be in an environment you can't soak up visually what's happening around you. It was challenging and scary."
Standard YouTube License
- 42:08 Masterchef USA: Season 3: Episode 1 (Entire Episode)by PennNova24 Featured 566,343
- 57:39 Christine Ha - Masterchef Best Momentsby Francisco Ramos305,456 views
- 3:49 Blind chef Christine Ha - Panko Fried Sweet Breads - MasterChef USA (Season 3 Episode 6)by akie0107148,313 views
- 4:01 Siêu đầu bếp nước Anh kinh hãi với ẩm thực Việt Nam-Yume TTNVby ttnv2013200,874 views
- 2:08 [MasterChef Vietnam] Thí sinh phỏng vấn Christine Hàby vuadaubepvietnam21,833 views
- 41:53 MasterChef US Season 3 EP9 HD FULLby mokdownwithlove55,316 views
- 10:37 Blind chef Christine Ha - Team Captain - MasterChef USA (Season 3 Episode 7)by akie010764,074 views
- 42:05 Masterchef USA: Season 3: Episode 2 (Entire Episode)by PennNova24436,001 views
- 8:25 Christine Ha, now visualy impaired speaks on MasterChef contestby Marc Pembroke16,401 views
- 53:00 Thegioithu3's Next Top Angel 2012 - tap 1 FULL - Castingby Minh Ngoc Tran770,442 views
- 14:29 Hells Kitchen USA Season Eight - Raj - The Worst Chef In Hell's Kitchen History?by WNSourceLee1,487,932 views
- 12:33 [ HD - Part 2/3 ] Final US MasterChef 2012 Season 3by John Willy13,504 views
- 14:48 Gordon Ramsay eats Shark Fin Soup for the first time!by Enjoyable Apps1,770,084 views
- 3:48 Chef Christine Ha Makes Grilled Beef Short Ribsby better23,986 views
- 41:42 [Vietsub] MasterChef US S03E20 - Season Finale [360Kpop.com]by The360KpopShow02130,783 views
- 3:58 Chef steals Ramsay's dish - Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmaresby Kitchen Nightmares1,076,672 views
- 7:34 The Pick Up Lines of Ryan Stilesby 00PsYcHe00258,664 views
- Akie's channel 20 videos2K
- 2:19 Blind chef Christine Ha - Sashimi - MasterChef USA (Season 3 Episode 17)by akie0107163,233 views
- 47:42 Masterpiece | Sherlock Series 2: A Special Q&A with the star & creators | PBSby PBS378,738 views