Inspiring MasterChef USA Audition (Season 3 Episode 1) - Christine Ha: Blind Chef
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 10, 2012
Christine Ha Is MasterChef's First Blind Contestant!
Article from People website: http://www.people.com/people/article/...
Chefs rely heavily on their sense of taste and smell to cook -- especially if they're blind like MasterChef contestant Christine Ha.
"I have to depend a lot more on the other senses to cook -- taste, smell, how certain ingredients feel," she tells PEOPLE. "I'll know if a piece of meat is close to being done by how it feels against my hand or utensils."
Christine, 33, has been diagnosed with neuromyelitis optica (NMO), a condition of the central nervous system that affects the optic nerves and spinal cord.
"The very first bout I had was in 1999," she says of the condition. "It only happened in one eye then. It didn't recover completely so I learned to adjust to seeing out of one eye. In 2004, it decreased to the level where I could no longer drive. In 2007, it decreased to where I am now. I have to use a cane to walk around or take somebody's arm and be guided."
Christine is ready to prove herself on the show, which premieres Monday (9 p.m. ET) on Fox. "It's hard to see ingredients," she says. "I have to figure out by smell and touch if an ingredient is fresh. Cutting with knives -- fortunately, I'm pretty careful and I have a proper knife technique. Since I've lost my vision, I've cut myself once. And it was minor. I've never had to get stitches. It's really about being organized, careful and using my other senses."
And she won't be getting any special help from the judges Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich. "Joe, Gordon and Graham didn't treat me any differently," she says. "They told me what was wrong and right with my dish. There was constructive criticism. I feel like they judged fairly."
Still, nerves were a factor for Christine when she began the competition. "I had never been this nervous in my life -- even on my wedding day," she says. "It was the most anxiety I've felt in a day. It's already scary to be in an environment you can't soak up visually what's happening around you. It was challenging and scary."
Standard YouTube License
- 45:50 Gordon's Great Escape - Season 2 Episode 4 (2011)by RheinheldFeatured 184,953
- 3:49 Blind chef Christine Ha - Panko Fried Sweet Breads - MasterChef USA (Season 3 Episode 6)by akie0107 54,511 views
- 2:52 [Vietsub] Christine Ha's Apple Pie - Masterchef S03 E05by biropotter 96,406 views
- 41:41 Masterchef US Season3 Episode19 fullby pradtrailers 55,236 views
- 2:30 Blind chef Christine Ha - Classic American Pie - MasterChef USA (Season 3 Episode 5)by akie0107 103,844 views
- 41:42 MasterChef US Season 3 Episode 20 finaleby pradtrailers 378,907 views
- 42:05 Masterchef USA: Season 3: Episode 2 (Entire Episode)by PennNova24 280,688 views
- 5:04 Blind chef Christine Ha - Crab Caviche Cocktail - MasterChef USA (Season 3 Episode 6)by akie0107 57,728 views
- 57:39 Christine Ha - Masterchef Best Momentsby Francisco Ramos 68,072 views
- 2:57 Meet Blind MasterChef Christine Haby WatchTheDaily 36,573 views
- 4:33 try to watch this without laughing or grinningby wodogfilms 9,639,430 views
- 4:42 Kitchen Nightmares USA - Woman Goes ABSOLUTELY INSANE On Gordon Ramsay HQby yorkcollegeuk2 800,610 views
- 1:05 Masterchef USA Season 2 - Christian Eats His Own Dishby PennNova24 84,070 views
- 53:00 Thegioithu3's Next Top Angel 2012 - tap 1 FULL - Castingby Minh Ngoc Tran 623,093 views
- 1:40 Masterchef US: Christian / Gordon Ramsay Smackdownby klaaatu 36,479 views
- 14:29 Hells Kitchen USA Season Eight - Raj - The Worst Chef In Hell's Kitchen History?by yorkcollegeuk2 908,041 views
- 1:20 Houston watch party for Christine Haby Peter Suh 8,443 views
- 1:23:34 Masterchef Season 2 Episode 19 & 20 Final Winner!by GreatChefCook 90,977 views
- 1:24:50 Masterchef US - Season 1 - Episode 12 ( Final )by Gr le 175,360 views
- 1:32:04 MasterChef España [Programa 3 Completo]by ReplayESP 3,562 views
- Loading more suggestions...