HotForWords - Hot Damn!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 14, 2010
Retweet: http://bit.ly/RThfwdamn Follow me on TWITTER HERE http://twitter.com/hotforwords
Join me on FACEBOOK HERE http://www.facebook.com/hotforwords
http://www.hotforwords.com to request words.
Rhett, Rhett! Rhett! If you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?
Who will pay my rent? My car payment is due like this week, oh, and you promised me a new pair of Louboutin's.
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Wait a minute.. a dam is an Indian coin, who are you giving that Indian coin to? What am I supposed to do with an Indian coin? I'm confused.. I must search through my old books in the library to figure out what the heck Rhett is talking about! He's weird! Good riddance!
Hello my dear students! I am back after Rhett so rudely walked out and said something about an Indian coin! So I investigated in my library what he was talking about.
My trusty big book that has acted as such a reliable source over the years, tells me that the expression:
"give a damn" as in what Rhett said, "I don't give a damn" comes from.. let me read it:
The expression was originally "give a dam" without an N on the dam and was probably brought back to England from India by military men in the mid 18th century. A dam was an Indian coin of little value.
See... that's the Indian coin I was talking about! Sounds like a great story, huh? Give a dam refers to giving a worthless coin to someone!
Sounds like a great tale, but it is completely false!
Not to give a damn does come from the 18th century but the express "not to give a curse" also formed around then and the word Damn had been around long before, coming from the Latin verb damnare which means "damage, loss, hurt", where damage comes from as well.
So, Rhett meant damn in the cursing sense and not in the Indian coin sense. But that will still pretty rude of him, right?
But that's fine.. I have a new boyfriend now anyway. His name is Norman.. he has his own business, like a hotel or something, and is a sweet momma's boy!
For your homework, did you see Gone With the Wind? Also, can you think of some words today that used to be considered swear words not too long ago, but are commonplace today?
Bye bye my dear students, going to go take a shower, Norman is on his way over.
Standard YouTube License
- Partner rating: TV-Y (Learn more)
- 11:34 Milon's Secret Castle - Angry Video Game Nerdby Cinemassacre Featured 1,978,914
- 4:33 Euphemismsby Marina Orlova694,725 views
- 6:36 HotForWords - My YouTube Story : HotForWordsby Marina Orlova493,506 views
- 2:10 Boobquakeby Marina Orlova1,485,420 views
- 4:19 Hot for Words Valentine's Day Bill O'Reillyby highdefnow77,005 views
- 4:24 Origin of Los Angelesby Marina Orlova496,097 views
- 2:01 My Best Weekend Everby Marina Orlova13,634,718 views
- 0:48 Rent Is Too Damn High Party Debateby royeraulait89218,796 views
- 4:48 Masturbation Dayby Marina Orlova1,788,530 views
- 3:49 Hot Teacher in Trouble for Being Too Hotby The Young Turks13,492,259 views
- 1:39 HotForWords - I spanked Weezer!by Marina Orlova817,464 views
- 3:17 High Fructose Corn Syrup Vs. 'Corn Sugar'by The Young Turks39,745 views
- 2:00 Nathan Scott - You're So Damn Hotby lumendion88,170 views
- 3:07 Danko Jones - Hot Damn Womanby casull66689,027 views
- 3:00 EVIL GYM TEACHER!!!!!!!!by SuperFloosh31,532 views
- 4:30 The Haggis Horns - Hot Damn! [2oo7] (Music)by fobos220353,564 views
- 1:59 Kamikaze Girls Trailerby VizCinema86,869 views
- 4:42 HotForWords - Hot Sexy Russian Spy - The REAL Anna Chapman Videoby Marina Orlova673,738 views
- 3:57 Clipse ft Faith Evans - Ma I Don't Love Herby JohnnyBIaze791,261 views
- 3:48 HotForWords - Love my cash money !by Marina Orlova651,166 views
- Loading more suggestions...