Another Beryl 0.1.3 Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 25, 2006
Magic Fire, Transparency, Wobbly Windows, 3D Cube, Transparent Cube, Skydome, 3D Windows and stuff like it... All the stuff that Windows could do on a supercomputer but this time free and for every (aprox 2years old 3D) graphiccard :D
There is a lot more than eyecandy you can do using linux, after a while you will get the clue behind opensource and stuff but this is what you need do persuade some people so they know linux is far more than a server-OS. Linux is ready for you Desktop!
Due to comments a short Machine outline:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200
GeForce 7900GT 256MB
2GB DDR-Dual-Channel RAM
250GB SATA HDD
Operating system is Ubuntu Edgy Eft, Window Manager is Beryl 0.1.3 and NVIDIA beta driver as current in Dec 2006.
System usage during work using beryl and the effects shown: aprox 10-15%
The rest is used by the video recording process... Only got 8fps because capturing 1680x1050 images is not that easy I guess :(
!!!: Of course this is mostly Eyecandy, I agree. :!!!
And the wobbly windows make me sick ever 10-20min of using them, but it is still nice to show friends what you CAN do with Linux, and not must do.
My brother is using beryl on a cheap ATI Readeon he bought for 11€ at eBay in summer 2006, works nearly as perfect besides he is using 1024x768...
But Beryl is not that useless, the transparent desktop helps you to find the Windows you lost *g*
I normally switch to Beryl when stuck in work or whatever to make up my mind a bit while watching those nice effects... And I find it more usefull than aeroglass, imho. Tried Vista on a friend's laptop without getting exited, just boored.
I will stick to XP for games and use Linux for the rest! (I admit that shamely, not all games will work in linux, but gaming is not everything!)
Die Vista, die! :D
And for the Apple-People: Linux is still free... (I mean: You do not have to pay money!) So there is a difference between paid development and free development...
And for those who know nothing about the Linux stuff:
1) Get Ubuntu + install it:
2) Install Beryl (and you graphic drivers):
3) Enjoy freaking power of opensource. Not only those fancy 3D stuff...
Standard YouTube License
- 48:08 Introduction to Linuxby Eli the Computer Guy412,289 views
- 24:44 A User's First Time with Linux Ubuntuby Chris Pirillo363,829 views
- 1:03:56 Aalto Talk with Linus Torvalds [Full-length]by aaltouniversityace903,831 views
- 6:10 Richard Stallman Talks About Ubuntuby muktware194,166 views
- 8:35 Como instalar ubuntu 13.04 facil para novatosby Tutoriales Ubuntu Linux Mint y Mas38,310 views
- 14:45 Review - Linux Mint 16 "Petra" (Cinnamon Edition)by JtheLinuxguy2,815 views
- 4:03 Top 5 Things to Do After Installing Ubuntuby Nixie Pixel428,030 views
- 16:26 Warum wir Ubuntu Linux nutzen solltenby 2malschauen125,154 views
- 122 videos Play all softwareby VCat2006
- 1:02:37 Swap It Outta Here | LINUX Unplugged 17by Jupiter Broadcasting3,344 views
- 11:04 How to Install/Dual Boot Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8by Opensourcegangster59,224 views
- 16:43 Ubuntu Linux 13.04 Versus Windows 8by tostoday102,300 views
- 8:00 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean vs. Ubuntu Review Comparisonby adrianisen211,661 views
- 12:05 Review::: Linux Mint 16 "Petra"by Spatry2,711 views
- 5:38 Cheapest super computer in the world أرخص سوبر كمبيوتر في العالمby Technigeek237,887 views
- 1:21:06 Linux Mint 16 Review | LAS s29e09by Jupiter Broadcasting6,948 views
- 5:48 4 Tricks to Speed Up Ubuntuby Nixie Pixel236,047 views
- 21:10 Linux Mint 16: Reviewby Jeff Linux Turner6,765 views
- 7:50 Ubuntu 13.04 Review - Raring Ringtailby Nixie Pixel187,195 views
- 20:26 Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!by OhHeyItsLou12,125 views