This video is unavailable.
Obama: 'we need meaningful action' after Connecticut shooting
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 16, 2012
In his weekly internet address, President Obama has called for "meaningful action, regardless of politics", after a gunman killed 26 people, mostly children, at a school in Newtown, Connecticut.
Barack Obama repeated his call for "meaningful action" to prevent a repeat of the Connecticut-style school shootings yesterday, reigniting the fractious debate over America's lax gun laws and coming under pressure from his own party to act. "Any of these neighbourhoods could be our own," Mr Obama said in his weekly radio address to the nation, "So we have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics."
Mr Obama did not provided details of how he would tackle one of America's most divisive and intractable political issues in the light of the shootings, but gun control advocates called for the Sandy Hook shootings to be a watershed moment on the issue.
Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York and a long-time prominent advocate of gun control, led the way, saying that the warm words -- however heartfelt - that have always followed such tragedies were no longer sufficient.
"Calling for 'meaningful action' is not enough," he said after Mr Obama had made his at-times tearful address to the nation in the immediate wake of the shootings on Friday, "We need immediate action.
"We have heard all the rhetoric before. What we have not seen is leadership - not from the White House and not from Congress." Proponents on the Left of stricter gun control, particularly on assault weapons, accuse Mr Obama of political cowardice on an issue, failing to take action despite the string of recent tragedies, including the January 2011 shooting of the Democrat Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona.
Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/world...
Get the latest headlines http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
Subscribe to The Telegraph http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/telegraph.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/telegraph
Follow us on Google+ https://plus.google.com/1028913550727...
Telegraph.co.uk and YouTube.com/TelegraphTV are websites of The Daily Telegraph, the UK's best-selling quality daily newspaper providing news and analysis on UK and world events, business, sport, lifestyle and culture.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:34 Adam Lanza's aunt: He was a bright boyby telegraphtv 6,991 views
- 3:13 Connecticut massacre moves Barack Obama to tearsby telegraphtv 1,461 views
- 1:19 Twin survivors reveal gunshot terrorby telegraphtv 2,726 views
- 1:17 North Korea marks anniversary of Kim Jong-il deathby telegraphtv 17,397 views
- 4:58 Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting: Remembering the Victims That Died in Newtown, Connecticutby ABCNews 263,502 views
- 4:03 President Obama Statement on School Shooting in Connecticutby CSPAN 111,778 views
- 13:28 Heated Debate on Gun Control after Connecticut Mass Shooting - Piers Morganby hi5viralnews1 130,499 views
- 3:17 Horror Footage: CCTV cameras catch dam burstby RussiaToday 4,057,596 views
- 7:15 Ann Coulter Goes Off On Obama: Screw You! You Don't Think We Care About The Children?by Les Grossman 48,373 views
- 3:22 Connecticut Shooting: Sandy Hook Elementary Teachers' Reactions to Gunshots - ABC Newsby ABCNews 293,217 views
- 18:04 Connecticut School Shooting: President Barack Obama speaks at Sandy Hook Victims Vigilby ChicagoTribune 17,486 views
- 6:18 Hajj 2012by prayershorts 393,441 views
- 10:15 Joe Rogan - Q&A with Crowd at Stand-Up Comedy Show (Live In Montreal)by MontrealMetalShows 254,407 views
- 7:35 Obama goes Christmas shopping in Virginiaby vidsbfree4me 33,700 views
- 15:01 President Obama Speech at Sandy Hook Vigil - Newtown Connecticut Elementary Schoolby hi5viralnews1 5,414 views
- 0:41 Celtic Park Rocking!by nathanq101 229,160 views
- 6:45 Obama Caught Fake Cryingby TheAlexJonesChannel 1,159,120 views
- 2:59 Cool president Obama goes out for burgersby imprezo1 60,333 views
- 10:05 Bill O'Reilly Confronts Bob Costas Over Gun Control Commentsby Les Grossman 265,778 views
- 7:03 Crime in Trinidadby kereme25 182,891 views
- Loading more suggestions...