LAPD Deputy Chief Asks Obama About Marijuana Legalization
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 27, 2012
Retired LAPD deputy chief of police Stephen Downing asks President Obama about the growing support for marijuana legalization among voters. Stephen is a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, which anyone can join for free at http://www.CopsSayLegalizeDrugs.com.
YouTube Ignores Cop's First Place Marijuana Legalization Video Question for Obama
Site Finds Time for Questions About Dancing, Late-Night Snacks and Playing Tennis
WASHINGTON, DC -- Today YouTube ignored a question advocating marijuana legalization from a retired LAPD deputy chief of police that won twice as many votes as any other video question in the White House's "Your Interview with the President" competition on the Google-owned site. They did, however, find the time to get the president on record about late night snacking, singing and dancing, celebrating wedding anniversaries and playing tennis.
Stephen Downing, the retired LAPD police officer and a board member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), had this to say about the site ignoring his question: "It's worse than silly that YouTube and Google would waste the time of the president and of the American people discussing things like midnight snacks and playing tennis when there is a much more pressing question on the minds of the people who took the time to participate in voting on submissions. A majority of Americans now support legalizing marijuana to de-fund cartels and gangs, lower incarceration and arrest rates and save scarce public resources, all while generating new much-needed tax revenue. The time to discuss this issue is now. We're tired of this serious public policy crisis being pushed aside or laughed off."
The top-voted video question from Downing is as follows: "Mr. President, my name is Stephen Downing, and I'm a retired deputy chief of police from the Los Angeles Police Department. From my 20 years of experience I have come to see our country's drug policies as a failure and a complete waste of criminal justice resources. According to the Gallup Poll, the number of Americans who support legalizing and regulating marijuana now outnumbers those who support continuing prohibition. What do you say to this growing voter constituency that wants more changes to drug policy than you have delivered in your first term?" The question can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0IpiA....
Downing's question came in first place for video questions and ranked second out of all questions (with the overall top spot going to a text question about copyright infringement). Many of the other top-ranking questions were about marijuana policy or the failed "war on drugs," as has been the case every other time the White House has invited citizens to submit and vote on questions via the web.
Voting in the YouTube contest wrapped up Saturday at midnight EST. In addition to the top-voted marijuana and drug policy questions mentioned above, there were a number of other similar questions that received thousands of votes but were mysteriously deleted after being marked "inappropriate."
More information about the contest and the top-voted questions can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/whitehouse. The Gallup poll referenced in Downing's winning question can be found online at http://www.gallup.com/poll/150149/Rec....
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) represents police, prosecutors, judges, FBI/DEA agents and others who want to legalize and regulate drugs after fighting on the front lines of the war on drugs and learning firsthand that prohibition only serves to worsen addiction and violence. More info at http://www.CopsSayLegalizeDrugs.com.
# # #
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 30, 2012
CONTACT: Tom Angell - (202) 557-4979 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard YouTube License
- 7:33 DEA Analyst and Cop Debate Marijuana Legalizationby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs33,239 views
- 7:22 Cops and Docs and Medical Marijuanaby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs4,188 views
- 0:33 Cop Asks Obama to Consider Legalizing Drugsby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs28,606 views
- 3:02 Obama Says Legalizing Drugs is Worthy of Debateby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs125,348 views
- 43:35 The Future of Weed: HIGH COUNTRYby MotherboardTV1,411,140 views
- 5:44 Best Marijuana Argument Ever: Given By Superior Court Judge James P. Grayby HorseofPaulRevere1,180,752 views
- 3:11 FBI director gets schooled on marijuana legalizationby SSDP484,805 views
- 17:33 LAPD Old Schoolby LMSTactical45,953 views
- 4:34 LAPD Code 3 to Assistby Bob Riha Jr.506,472 views
- 1:56 Typical Obama Supporters Exposedby Col. Richard Hunter591,634 views
- 5:42 Prosecutor and Superintendent take on the Drug Warby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs1,067 views
- 49:57 LAPD The Way It Wasby LMSTactical36,375 views
- 1:10 LEAP Stumps the Drug Czarby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs27,621 views
- 8:25 Cop says Legalize Marijuana & CheckID & Protect Kids! Holder says Legal Pot is OK!by mariposahd218,406 views
- 13:36 Law Enforcement Against Prohibitionby Wrayer144,828 views
- 5:07 Penn's Obama Rantby PennsSundaySchool696,901 views
- 9:41 Why Marijuana Should be Legalized - This News Debate Sums it all up !by theREALdrugfacts93,307 views
- 2:06 Cop Says Drug War Helps Gangs Thriveby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs2,502 views
- 13:51 Must-Watch: Marijuana Legalization Hearing in Washington State Part 1by Pot TV35,620 views
- 5:55 President Obama Answers Question on Legalizing Marijuana!by The Young Turks170,150 views
- Loading more suggestions...