OSCON 2012: Simon Phipps, "OSI -- More Relevant Than Ever"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 19, 2012
OSCON and the Open Source Initiative (OSI) have a long relationship, going back to OSI's founding in 1998 by a group of people that included Tim O'Reilly. Over the last decade, OSI has been steward of the "gold standard" of open source, the Open Source Definition, and has anchored the transformation of open source from marginal campaign to mainstream default for software.
But times change. Now that open source is the assumed default for all new software, the community needs more than just licenses. The Board of Directors of OSI has been working behind the scenes to craft a transformation. Hear direct from Board members and new Affiliates what has changed, ask questions about the new organisation and perhaps even join at this surprisingly lively session.
Open Source Initiative
Simon Phipps has engaged at a strategic level in the world's leading technology companies, starting in roles such as field engineer, programmer, systems analyst and more recently taking executive leadership roles around open source. He worked with OSI standards in the 80s, on collaborative conferencing software in the 90s, helped introduce both Java and XML at IBM and was instrumental in open sourcing the whole software portfolio at Sun Microsystems. A Director of the Open Source Initiative and the UK's Open Rights Group, he takes an active interest in Free and Open Source software, serving at OpenSolaris, OpenJDK and OpenSPARC, and is a widely read commentator at Computerworld and his own Webmink blog.
He holds a BSc in electronic engineering and is a Fellow of the British Computer Society and of the Open Forum Academy.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:11 What is Open Source, Really?by Nixie PixelFeatured 25,394
- 5:26 Please. Stop Using Git. - Matthew McCulloughby OreillyMedia 13,925 views
- 14:20 OSCON 2012: Kaitlin Thaney, "The Mudslide Hypothesis of Science"by OreillyMedia 1,423 views
- 5:04 OSCON 2012: Stephen Peters, "Leadership Lessons of Hernán Cortés"by OreillyMedia 208 views
- 13:40 OSCON 2012: Frank Frankovsky, "Disrupting Hardware: The Next Era of Openness"by OreillyMedia 765 views
- 24:05 OSCON 2012: Tim O'Reilly, "The Clothesline Paradox and the Sharing Economy"by O'Reilly Media 15,232 views
- 13:28 OSCON 2012: Chris DiBona, "How Good Is Your Internet, Really?"by OreillyMedia 820 views
- 26:23 OSCON 2012: Mark R. Shuttleworth, "Making Magic From Cloud To Client"by O'Reilly Media 12,592 views
- 14:42 OSCON 2012: Danny Hillis, "The Learning Map"by OreillyMedia 2,257 views
- 8:21 OSCON 2012: Piers Cawley, "Saying Yes"by OreillyMedia 1,176 views
- 59:51 HTML5 Lessons from LinkedIn using Node.jsby Marakana TechTV 27,587 views
- 13:09 OSCON 2012: John Mone, "Open Source: A Recipe For Success"by OreillyMedia 628 views
- 10:23 OSCON 2012: Edd Dumbill & Gianugo Rabellino, "An Interview with Gianugo Rabellino"by OreillyMedia 260 views
- 19:29 OSCON 2012: Brian Aker, "Scaling OpenStack Technology. Lessons From The Field"by OreillyMedia 3,572 views
- 1:21 OSCON 2012by OreillyMedia 1,024 views
- 18:08 OSCON 2012: Irene Ros, "This Is the House That Open Source Built"by OreillyMedia 511 views
- 22:32 OSCON 2012: Paul Fenwick, "Mindware Upgrades For Fun And Profit"by O'Reilly Media 1,589 views
- 14:06 OSCON 2012: David Eaves, "The Science of Open Source Community Management"by O'Reilly Media 1,919 views
- 23:50 Round Table Discussion: Economic impact of open source on small businessby OreillyMedia 1,159 views
- 8:31 OSCON 2012: O'Reilly Open Source Awardsby OreillyMedia 772 views
- Loading more suggestions...