Riverdale Fracking Blockade Aqua America June 1 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 1, 2012
Hands Across Riverdale: On June 1st, an Evicted Community Chooses to Stay Put
On June 1st, in Riverdale Mobile Home Park in Jersey Shore PA, a corporation called Aqua PVR LLC, a subsidiary of Aqua America, plans to write a story that is now commonplace in this country. They plan to evict a well-developed, caring community and begin construction on an industrial water withdrawal site. They plan to pursue profit over people and the environment. Their plan fits into an established narrative except for one flaw: the community is fighting back, and on May 31st and June 1st, they are asking for help.
This is a community that takes care of its members. Neighbors watch each other's kids when parents get stuck at work, people walk the quiet roads to check in on one another, and residents know each other's stories, families, and aspirations. On the beautiful banks of the Susquehanna, these families have built their homes together, and now are being forced out. These are working families that cannot necessarily pack up their lives and move them somewhere else. Aqua America, after initially offering less money and a shorter deadline, is offering residents $2500 if they move out by June 1st. The cost of moving a trailer is $6,000-$12,000, and rent in the area has risen because of an influx of natural gas industry workers. While some have been able to find new places to live, for many there is no option but to stay.
In February, residents found out that their home had been sold out from underneath them by reading a newspaper article detailing the permitting of their community as a water withdrawal site. Since then, they have been organizing to fight for their homes, appealing not just to Aqua, but to the Susquehanna River Basin Commission, which oversees the water withdrawal permitting process. Lawyers acting on their behalf have attempted negotiation with Aqua many times, and residents have organized rallies, vigils and interfaith services to seek help for their community. It is all now coming to a head on June 1st.
The community demands that Aqua America sit down with the residents and their representation to negotiate a fair deal that permits the residents to remain living at Riverdale Mobile Home Park with just compensation and the right to return for all residents who have already left in fear.
The community demands that representatives from the Obama administration and governors Corbett (PA), O'Malley (MD), and Cuomo (NY) recall Aqua America's water withdrawal permit that they approved in March at the next Susquehanna River Basin Commission meeting in Harrisburg on June 7th.
Aqua America has not made it clear whether or not it plans to pursue eviction proceedings against residents that choose to stay. Regardless of legal means, turning people's homes into an industrial site is a de-facto eviction, but some residents are still set on staying.
On May 31st, this community invites you to join them in a final vigil and funeral service for the homes that they built together, and to stay the night to bear witness and support the residents on June 1st. Help change the story: put your hands across Riverdale.
Riverdale Mobile Home Park is located at:
7 Riverdale Ln, Jersey Shore PA 17740
The Vigil begins at 6 pm.
If you plan to stay the night please plan accordingly and bring your own gear.
Other things you can do to support Riverdale Mobile Home Park:
Sign the Petition and Send this email to Aqua America CEO Nick DeBenedictis:
On June 1st, at 8 am, or any day thereafter that construction continues go to Aqua America's Headquarters at 762 West Lancaster Avenue, Bryn Mawr, PA. to demand that construction stop.
Attend the next Susquehanna River Basin Commission Meeting on June 7th in Harrisburg to demand that the permit be revoked.
Donate funds to the community and their campaign to save their homes: https://www.wepay.com/donations/160391
Standard YouTube License
- 15:28 Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 6 Eviction Notice - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition9,768 views
- 8:32 Riverdale Revisited - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 7 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition3,029 views
- 9:23 Occupy Well St. - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 8 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition2,825 views
- 2:34 WNEP Riverdale Eviction Aqua America June 12, 2012by Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition502 views
- 2:11 Riverdale Mobile Home Park by Jill Knightby wpsu656 views
- 1:42:43 EL GAS DE LA MUERTE (GASLAND)by InformacionVisual5,995 views
- 17:53 Fracking Hell: The Untold Storyby Link TV658,733 views
- 7:11 The residents of Riverdale Mobile Home Communityby SaveOurStreamsPA1,466 views
- 41:21 Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition75,614 views
- 1:34:32 GASLAND (subtitrare in romana) - DOCUMENTAR despre efectele grave ale exploatarii gazelor de sistby Cristian Moldovan22,329 views
- 14:07 Dangers of Horizontal Hydraulic Fracking in Bradford County, PA - Part 1by vmlee10009,303 views
- 5:45 Gas Drilling Consumptive Water Use and the Susquehanna Riverby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition841 views
- 14:40 convert a generator to natural gas for $5.00by luke Fugate41,843 views
- 7:36 Save Riverdale Volunteers Forced To Leave: On-The-Scene Coverageby Save Riverdale1,533 views
- 2:41 Garth Everett, Where Are You? WNEP Riverdale Story 5/23/12by Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition330 views
- 1:20:52 West Wyoming Compressor Station Matt Walkerby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition321 views
- 7:30 La polemica extraccion del Gas de esquisto - Gas no convencional peligrosoby agu97036,128 views
- 14:41 FrackNation Movie Clips - The Truth About Frackingby kricket5823,082 views
- 13:21 Shale Gas Drilling: Pros & Consby Espectas11,930 views
- 4:45 The Real Cost of Fracking: Angela and Wayneby Coalition to Protect New York11,987 views
- Loading more suggestions...