Chinese Authorities Lose Control as Village Revolts
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 15, 2011
As we've been telling you this week, tens of thousands of villagers are protesting in Wukan, in Guangdong Province. Now the situation has become a standoff as villagers have kicked out both local officials and police. That came after the suspicious death of one villager in police custody. Here's the latest.
The over twenty-thousand residents of the village of Wukan in south China's Guangdong Province have expelled all local Communist Party authorities, including police, and blocked road access to the village.
The British newspaper The Telegraph was able to get a journalist on the ground in Wukan on Tuesday. Malcom Moore called the current incident the first time on record that the Party has "lost all control" in a situation of "open revolt." This marks the latest escalation in an ongoing confrontation between villagers and local Communist Party officials they've called corrupt and abusive.
For three months, Wukan residents have been staging occasional large-scale protests against a longstanding series of abuses committed by local Party officials. The villagers' biggest grievance was corrupt officials profiting from illegally selling the villagers' land.
The current intensified protest, including the expelling of all police and officials, came after the death in Party custody of Xue Jinbo. He was a Wukan resident who had served as a negotiator with authorities. Party officials claim Xue died of "cardiac failure." But Xue's family say there was evidence of torture on his body, including broken thumbs and bruises.
By Monday, locals had stopped an attempt by hundreds of police and security personnel to enter Wukan. Those forces retreated to a backup location three miles distant, and are now blocking all food and water from entering the town.
As of now, at the fifth day of what some are calling a rebellion, police remain blocked from entering, and some townspeople are making comments suggesting that the confrontation has become about more than just land seizures.
The Telegraph quoted one villager as saying "We are not sleeping. A hundred men are keeping watch. We do not know what the government's next move will be, but we know we cannot trust them ever again."
The situation in Wukan remains uncertain. Other media have managed to enter the village. But anything about Wukan is being quickly censored on the Chinese internet.
For more news and videos visit ☛ http://english.ntdtv.com
Follow us on Twitter ☛ http://twitter.com/NTDTelevision
Add us on Facebook ☛ http://on.fb.me/s5KV2C
Standard YouTube License
- 52:15 烏坎村的農民抗爭，非常震憾人心！ 『現場版52分鐘』by The Channel of Lotus BlossomFeatured 32,652
- 2:11 Deadlock Continues in Wukan, Chinaby NTDTV 4,465 views
- 1:52 iPhone Smuggling in Chinaby NTDTV 222,077 views
- 1:19 Exclusive Footage: Chinese Police Beat Villagers in Yingde Cityby NTD Television 76,792 views
- 0:23 Chinese River Runs Bright Red After Chemical Dumpingby NTDTV 228,832 views
- 32:44 Santa's Workshop - Inside China's Slave Labour Toy Factoriesby my3rd3y3 211,881 views
- 14:38 China's Ghost Citiesby DatelineSBS 582,164 views
- 7:57 廣東陸豐烏坎村面臨解放軍鎮壓 共匪又限制使用廣東話 該革命搞独立了by Dulan9 13,003 views
- 14:03 Ghost Cities - Chinaby journeymanpictures 478,810 views
- 2:07 Iran military power could destroy Israel in less than 10 daysby Canal de danibaal241 165,973 views
- 3:37 Big Trouble In Little China Seaby PappyStu 113,551 views
- 2:47 If China Attacks America (JUST IMAGINE)by BrotherHoodAction's channel 566,059 views
- 2:25 China's nuclear arsenal 'many times larger'by Al Jazeera English 50,729 views
- 3:26 【禁闻】乌坎村抗争未完 龙头村再揭竿起义by 中文 全 34,572 views
- 5:25 'US intervention in Iran will drag China & Russia into war'by RT 270,997 views
- 5:47 China: 30,000 Haimen Residents "Occupy" Public Highway In Protest Of Coal-Fired Power Plantsby MOXNEWSd0tC0M 12,993 views
- 1:24 Chinese women brave broken bottles to become bodyguardsby ITN 242,408 views
- 10:26 袁騰飛：毛澤東紀念堂是靖國神社 Chinese High School Teacher Yuan Slams Mao Zedongby 三民主義統一中國 91,019 views
- 2:58 Chinese Police self-defenceby Marcus L 279,407 views
- 2:06 China's growing military mightby Al Jazeera English 74,360 views
- Loading more suggestions...