@Google: Lawrence Lessig: Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress—and a Plan to Stop It
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 16, 2011
In an era when special interests funnel huge amounts of money into our government-driven by shifts in campaign-finance rules and brought to new levels by the Supreme Court in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission-trust in our government has reached an all-time low. More than ever before, Americans believe that money buys results in Congress, and that business interests wield control over our legislature.
With heartfelt urgency and a keen desire for righting wrongs, Harvard law professor Lawrence Lessig takes a clear-eyed look at how we arrived at this crisis: how fundamentally good people, with good intentions, have allowed our democracy to be co-opted by outside interests, and how this exploitation has become entrenched in the system. Rejecting simple labels and reductive logic-and instead using examples that resonate as powerfully on the Right as on the Left-Lessig seeks out the root causes of our situation. He plumbs the issues of campaign financing and corporate lobbying, revealing the human faces and follies that have allowed corruption to take such a foothold in our system. He puts the issues in terms that nonwonks can understand, using real-world analogies and real human stories. And ultimately he calls for widespread mobilization and a new Constitutional Convention, presenting achievable solutions for regaining control of our corrupted-but redeemable-representational system. In this way, Lessig plots a roadmap for returning our republic to its intended greatness.
While America may be divided, Lessig vividly champions the idea that we can succeed if we accept that corruption is our common enemy and that we must find a way to fight against it. In Republic, Lost, he not only makes this need palpable and clear-he gives us the practical and intellectual tools to do something about it.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:55:39 UFOTV® Presents - CROP CIRCLES - The Quest for Truth - FREE HD Movieby UFOTV®: The Disclosure NetworkFeatured 388,620
- 1:05:46 Comedians@Google: Eddie Izzardby AtGoogleTalks 145,201 views
- 1:02:27 @Google Presents: Daniel Kahnemanby AtGoogleTalks 53,763 views
- 1:04:48 Authors@Google: Penn Jilletteby AtGoogleTalks 42,066 views
- 1:04:02 Authors@Google: Jeffrey Sachs, "The Price of Civilization"by AtGoogleTalks 12,813 views
- 1:43:03 Lessig on "Aaron's Laws - Law and Justice in a Digital Age"by HarvardLawSchool 27,308 views
- 1:30:10 Lawrence Lessig - Change Congressby WGBHForum 419 views
- 42:18 The Problem With Money in Politics - Lawrence Lessig, Harvard Lawby TheYoungTurks 37,197 views
- 1:01:04 Authors@Google: Lawrence Lessigby AtGoogleTalks 38,069 views
- 1:01:49 CNN's Black in America: Soledad O'Brien in Conversation with Diversity@Googleby AtGoogleTalks 18,420 views
- 50:40 Chefs@Google: Christina Tosiby AtGoogleTalks 9,195 views
- 1:25:18 Lawrence Lessig interviews Jack Abramoffby HarvardLawSchool 15,579 views
- 10:42 "An Incredible Soul": Lawrence Lessig on Aaron Swartz After Leading Cyberactivist's Suicide. 1 of 2by democracynow 7,142 views
- 1:17:47 Republic, Lostby lessig 4,928 views
- 48:12 Republic, Lost (my favorite version)by lessig 4,798 views
- 59:55 Policy Talks@Google: Lawrence Lessigby AtGoogleTalks 7,808 views
- 57:29 Authors@Google: Robert Reichby AtGoogleTalks 9,965 views
- 4:43 Do Copyright Laws Stifle Creativity? - Lawrence Lessigby ForaTv 27,136 views
- 56:37 Authors@Google: Tina Feyby AtGoogleTalks 428,640 views
- 48:16 Lawrence Lessig - Creeping Cronyism - WiscNet Future Technologies Conference 2012by wiscnet 1,194 views
- Loading more suggestions...