RBSP - Loading into thermal vacuum testing
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 23, 2012
This one-minute video, taken on Feb. 21, 2012, is a compressed version of the loading of NASA's twin Radiation Belt Storm Probe satellites into two identical thermal vacuum testing chambers. The process of actually lifting the spacecraft into the chambers took less than half an hour, and followed many days of preparation by the RBSP team at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md.
The video first shows RBSP spacecraft A being wheeled into position below the right thermal vacuum chamber, then slowly raised by a hydraulic lift into the chamber. The RBSP team raises the spacecraft slowly and steadily in part because the clearance between RBSP and the sides of the chamber is small (around one inch). The many foil-wrapped cables visible in these shots carry power to and data from the spacecraft, and connect to the spacecraft via cylindrical chamber feed-throughs (easily seen by their red connector covers). Finally, the chambers themselves are shown (spacecraft B is in the left chamber, A in the right); these will be RBSP's homes for the next six weeks while the spacecraft perform rigorous performance tests and simulate normal science operations -- all while being subjected to extreme temperature variations in an airless environment to make sure the probes are ready to handle the harsh conditions of space.
During RBSP's two year primary mission, the probes will help scientists study the Van Allen radiation belts which surround our planet, and learn more about the processes that create them and cause them to vary in size and intensity.
Standard YouTube License
- 36:07 NASA's Van Allen Probes Discover Third Radiation Belt Around Earthby Van Allen Probes957 views
- 11:05 MIL-STD-461 Conducted Emissions.wmvby VPTTECH2,896 views
- 7:28 Ares Progress Highlightsby AresTV12,542 views
- 3:42 How to Make a Lab Vacuum Chamberby mopatin20,424 views
- 1:17:32 JHU/APL Rethinking Seminar Series 2011-2012: Declining National Security Spendingby JHU Applied Physics Laboratory355 views
- 3:26 NASA: The Radiation Belt Storm Probe Mission - RBSP - exploring Van Allen Radiation Beltsby Sundrumify4,815 views
- 1:03:13 Dr. Alan Stern: "New Horizons to Planet Pluto: Exploring the Frontier of Our Solar System"by JHU Applied Physics Laboratory2,099 views
- 25:02 One Step Beyond - The Vanishing Pointby Emmanuel Goldstein63,748 views
- 3:04 RBSP: What Are The Radiation Belts?by Van Allen Probes11,434 views
- 7:26 Rotary Shaft Feedthrough © 2012 / Dura Seal, Inc [Video Demo] rev 2,10 09 12by Dura-Seal, Inc. The Super Seal196 views
- 1:03 Van Allen Probe Discovers New Radiation Belt Around Earthby enigmadigest260 views
- 4:28 Van Allen Radiation Belt Storm Probes - What They Will Do | NASA RBSP GSFC Videoby CoconutScienceLab6,783 views
- 8:11 Van Allen Radiation Belt Spacecraft Duo Ready for Launch | NASA RBSP Storm Probes Launch Videoby CoconutScienceLab1,246 views
- 4:05 Huge Apollo Era Vacuum Chamber Upgraded for Webb Telescope | NASA Space Scienceby CoconutScienceLab951 views
- 1:52:58 JHU/APL Rethinking Series 2012-2013: Global Trends 2030: Alternative Worldsby JHU Applied Physics Laboratory68 views
- 2:50 Marshmallows in a vacuum chamberby ImaginationStationOH1,978 views
- 1:34:05 JHU/APL Rethinking Series 2013-2014: Rethinking Science, Technology & Threats to the USby JHU Applied Physics Laboratory95 views
- 4:55 Space Test Chamber - Backstage Scienceby BackstageScience10,265 views
- 22:54 Introduction to Thermal Testingby Thomas Resh274 views
- 1:05 Van Allen Probes Reveal New Radiation Belt Around Earthby Van Allen Probes3,933 views
- Loading more suggestions...