Shebeen and Friends - Jackets Green
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 30, 2012
Shebeen and friends - Jackets green
When I was a maiden fair and young,
On the pleasant banks of Lee,
No bird that in the greenwood sung,
Was half so blithe and free.
My heart ne'er beat with flying feet,
No love sang me his queen,
Till down the glen rode Sarsfield's men,
And they wore the jackets green.
Young Donal sat on his gallant grey
Like a king on a royal seat,
And my heart leaped out on his regal way
To worship at his feet.
O Love, had you come in those colours dressed,
And wooed with a soldier's mein
I'd have laid my head on your throbbing breast
For the sake of your jacket green.
No hoarded wealth did my love own,
Save the good sword that he bore;
But I loved him for himself alone
And the colour bright he wore.
For had he come in England's red
To make me England's queen,
I'd rove the high green hills instead
For the sake of the Irish green.
When William stormed with shot and shell
At the walls of Garryowen,
In the breach of death my Donal fell,
And he sleeps near the Treaty Stone.
That breach the foeman never crossed
While he swung his broadsword keen;
But I do not weep my darling lost,
For he fell in his jacket green.
When Sarsfield sailed away I wept
As I heard the wild ochone.
I felt, then dead as the men who slept
'Neath the fields of Garryowen.
White Ireland held my Donal blessed,
No wild sea rolled between,
Till I would fold him to my breast
All robed in his Irish green.
My soul has sobbed like waves of woe,
That sad o'er tombstones break,
For I buried my heart in his grave below,
For his and for Ireland's sake.
And I cry. "Make way for the soldier's bride
In your halls of death, sad queen
For I long to rest by my true love's side
And wrapped in the folds of green."
I saw the Shannon's purple tide
Roll by the Irish town,
As I stood in the breach by Donal's side
When England's flag went down.
And now it lowers when I seek the skies,
Like a blood red curse between.
I weep, but 'tis not women's sighs
Will raise our Irish green.
Oh, Ireland, said is thy lonely soul,
And loud beats the winter sea,
But sadder and higher the wild waves roll
O'er the hearts that break for thee.
Yet grief shall come to our heartless foes,
And their thrones in the dust be seen,
So, Irish Maids, love none but those
Who wear the jackets green.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Shebeen and Friends - Jackets Green
- 2:05:26 The Best of Schubertby HALIDONMUSIC Featured 496,118
- 47:08 Old Scores - Bobby Sands Documentary 1983by Irish History Show NEAR FM7,824 views
- 50:24 The Regiment 1st Battalion Royal Green Jackets.by keith egan11,698 views
- 4:43 The Wolfe Tones - Jackets Greenby Rainer Zufall36,264 views
- 2:20 IRA SCUM IN THE FIRST NATIONAL BAR LIVERPOOLby GRAGER169069,593 views
- 4:38 Shebeen Song for Marcellaby Simone Chiari3,312 views
- 4:26 The Irish Brigade - Free & Greenby RyanVBC255,007 views
- 49 videos Play all Favorite Irish musicby AUG351
- 3:59 SEAN SOUTH OF GARRYOWENby charlieandthebhoys400,286 views
- 3:53 Willie & Dannyby MIKEY1888BHOY21,768 views
- 5:44 Celtic Symphony - Shebeenby Cathal Lynch18,674 views
- 5:53 Viva La Quinta Brigada - Shebeenby Cathal Lynch17,446 views
- 8:20 Eire Og - Joe McDonnell [HQ]by Reb Sesh9,224 views
- 3:45 Gary Og - Plastic Bulletsby TiocfaidhArLa196720,769 views
- 4:27 Shebeen in Bairds Bar with Tomboy Loudon. Song For Marcellaby 2007lacoste200718,218 views
- 4:32 The Lonesome Boatman - Charlie and the Bhoysby charlieandthebhoys117,599 views
- 4:09 James Connolly - Irish Rebel Songby Sportymike102,879 views
- 5:39 SONG FOR MARCELLA ( Bobby Sands ) Performed by Padraig Mor and Sean Lyonsby clanntara180,583 views
- 9:40 Charlie and the Bhoys - Joe McDonnell_Broad Black Brimmerby SparkyBhoy11,402 views
- 1:42:13 Bobby Sands and the 1981 Hungerstrike (Documentary)by Protestant Irish Republican232 views