Do It Yourself Apple Fusion Drive on Your Mac - How To - Speed Tests - Benchmarks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 2, 2012
Here we offer directions on how to set up your own Fusion Drive on your Mac. We did this in a 2012 13" MacBook Pro with a 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD and 5400 RPM Seagate HDD mounted in a superdrive hard drive replacement bay. You can use any combination of internal or external drives, as well as new or old Macs.
Please like, comment and subscribe! Thanks!
Commands you'll need in order:
diskutil cs create Fusion diskx diskx
NOTE: You can replace Fusion with whatever you'd like to name your Logical Volume Group
diskutil cs list
diskutil coreStorage createVolume YOUR_DEVICE_ID_HERE jhfs+ "Macintosh Fusion" 100%
NOTE: You can replace "Macintosh Fusion" with whatver you want to name your drive. Remember to use ""'s if you want a space in your name like we did, otherwise you do not need them.
After installation is finished, open terminal and turn of indexing:
sudo mdutil -i off
If you would like to revert back to 2 separate drives, boot into the installer again, open Terminal and type:
diskutil cs delete YOUR_DEVICE_ID
You will then be able to format them however you'd like using Terminal or Disk Utility
Here is the Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy we used : http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-to-SATA-...
UPDATE 1 : TRIM Enabler does not work to enable TRIM. FileVault 2 does work just fine however.
UPDATE 2 : I was able to get TRIM to work only when using an internal SSD and external HDD.
UPDATE 3 : I have it working on 10.8.0, although I'd recommend staying up to date.
UPDATE 4 : To enable TRIM with Terminal, issue the following commands in order:
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel (this might take a second, let it finish)
sudo kextcache -system-caches (same thing goes here, let it finish)
NOTE : This may only work with an internal SSD and external HDD. I haven't got it working with both internal yet.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:49 Goku Meets Young Master Roshiby Android17Marketplace's channelFeatured 499,363
- 13:49 How to tear down & upgrade a 2012 Mac mini Install dual hard drivesby kool1160 11,167 views
- 12:59 How to Install Windows 7 on a Mac | Boot Camp, Fusion, Parallelsby xIlIuzionx 179,500 views
- 11:07 How to Add a Second Hard Drive in a 2012 Mac mini with the OWC Data Doublerby OWCmacsales 26,283 views
- 13:14 [How To] Replace Optical Drive With HDD / SSD MacBook Pro 2012 - Caddy Installationby macmixing 48,666 views
- Solid-state drive 24,014 videos213
- 3:53 Apple Fusion Drive Explained by a Geekby IrixGuy 2,158 views
- 9:56 New Apple iMac 27": Unboxing, Benchmarks, & 32GB RAM Upgradeby DetroitBORG 197,547 views
- 7:51 Apple Mac Mini Late 2012 Core i7 2.6GHz 16GB RAM Upgrade & Benchmarkby davomrmac 37,421 views
- 12:42 Installing 2 Hard Drives in MacBook Pro - Data Doubler - 240GB SSD Installationby Domreis7337 52,977 views
- 7:42 iPad Mini Unboxingby MacAdvisorUK 71,989 views
- 17:35 OWC Internal SSD DIY Kit for all Apple 27" iMac 2011 Modelsby OWCmacsales 87,624 views
- 4:13 What happens when you RAID 24 SSD Hard Disks !!!!!by sahlcooool 693,720 views
- 15:41 iMac Late 2012 27" Benchmark Tests Real world testsby Andrew Ludewig 28,944 views
- 14:46 iMac Umbau SSD mit Fusion Drive - 2013by Rene Heinen 5,269 views
- 8:12 Mac Mini 2.6 Quad Core i7 + Fusion Drive - New (late 2012) - Part 1 of 2by salaschristian 6,075 views
- 2:18 I Am Rich - The $1,000 iPhone Application (republished for $10)by iguitardude2744 775,658 views
- 9:43 Hackintosh 101 - Building an Apple Macintosh Using PC Parts That Runs os X - Tekzillaby TEKHD 38,598 views
- 4:27 Frikeando 5x03 - Fusion Driveby Mich Frikeando 6,362 views
- 8:19 How to Add a Second Hard Drive in a 2011 Mac mini with the OWC Data Doublerby OWCmacsales 108,173 views
- 3:52 Mac Mini Late 2012 Upgrade 2.6Ghz 16gb RAM Intel Core i7 DIY Fusion Driveby Nick Byrne 3,005 views
- Loading more suggestions...