KNITFreedom - Toe-Up Socks Pattern Overview: How to Knit Basic Socks from the Toe Up
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 28, 2010
Visit http://knitfreedom.com/toe-up-socks to watch the entire video course and get more great tips to help you learn how to knit toe-up socks, one- or two-at-a-time.
Here is an overview of how to knit toe-up socks.
Toe-up socks are a fun, portable, and gift-able project, and the perfect way to learn and practice the techniques that are going to take you to Knitting Superstardom.
What is toe-up?
Making socks from the toe-up is the norm in most European countries, but it is less prevalent in America. The sock is simply constructed starting at the toe and ending with the cuff.
Never run out of yarn
Knitting socks from the toe-up enables you to use all the yarn you have, without ever worrying about running out before you finish, like you might with a traditional top-down sock.
It even lets you use leftover yarn to make ankle- and slipper-socks, without having to guess how long you should make the cuff.
Make custom cuff-lengths
In fact, you can go the opposite route and make knee-socks, showing off today's lovely patterned yarns for 11-12 inched of gorgeous sock! Again, without ever having to guess ahead of time how long you need to make the cuff.
Try on as you go
Being able to try your sock on as you knit it means your sock will fit perfectly every time, or, if it doesn't, you'll at least find out before you finish! You can adjust the fit of your sock so that it matches your foot and leg exactly.
What is two-at-a-time?
Making socks two-at-a-time (abbreviate 2@at) is a fantastic new technique made possible by the discovery of Magic Loop and the 2 Circs methods.
Using a clever cast-on, you simply work alternately from two balls of yarn to make both socks (or two of anything knitted in the round, for that matter) at the same time, on one set of needles.
Why is two-at-a-time so great?
With two-at-a-time, you won't ever have to guess how much yarn you'll need for one sock. Simply wind the yarn into two balls of equal weight, and you'll have the right amount! In a pinch, you can even knit off both ends of one ball of yarn.
Whether it's because knitting a second sock is less enjoyable than knitting the first, or not, knitting socks one at a time feels like it's going slow.
You're just never as excited to knit the second one. On top of skipping the dread that accompanies "second-sock syndrome," you skip all the measuring, counting, thinking, and preparing that you'd have to do all over again on the second sock, and, amazingly, knitting two socks at once takes only about 50% more time than knitting one sock!
Everything comes out the same
In addition, both socks will come out exactly the same - same length, circumference, and shape, without any extra thinking on your part.
You won't ever have to measure one cuff and then try to duplicate it on the next sock, which brings me to everyone's favorite reason...
Never knit a second sock again!
With two-at-a-time, when you're done, you're truly done. No more thinking, "Yay! Now all I have to do is do it all over again..." You'll bind off and put the pair of socks directly on your feet, and skip happily to the yarn store to start a new project.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:47 Knit Baby Girl UGGs(booties)by iKNITS Featured 38,988
- 13:30 Knitting in the Round on Magic Loop - Basicby Liat Gat65,246 views
- 9:24 Toe Up Socks - 1st Roundby Liat Gat25,977 views
- 29:41 Learn to Knit Toe-Up Magic Loop Socksby VeryPink Knits111,517 views
- 33:27 How to knit socks very easyby Woolpedia50,481 views
- 28:18 DIY Arm Knitting - 30 Minute Inifinity Scarfby Audra Kurtz800,661 views
- 28 videos Play all Learning to Knit Socksby fannyo694
- 14:23 KNITFreedom - Invisible Ribbed Bind-Off - A Stretchy Invisible Bind-Off For 1x1 Ribbingby Liat Gat67,880 views
- 8:23 How to Knit Socks: Lesson 1, Materials and Toolsby csueb4ever48,731 views
- 13:51 CSM Cast On Sackby TheColoradoCranker252,762 views
- 6:43 KNITFreedom - Toe-Up Socks: Turning The Heel (Fleegle Heel)by Liat Gat30,187 views
- 6:01 How to Knit Toe Up Socks using Magic Loop Part 1 Knit the Toeby k1p1TV29,726 views
- 4:27 Judy's Magic Cast-On (JMCO)by Liat Gat28,657 views
- 7:40 Toe-Up Socks on Circular Knitting Needles - Casting On (Part 1 of 5)by Tii Casa Knitting24,171 views
- 4:13 Stretchy Cast Onby Helene Rush46,648 views
- 9:22 Cat Bordhi-PERSONAL FOOTPRINTS-overviewby Cat Bordhi51,470 views
- 8:07 Judy's Magic Cast On (Starting Toe Up Socks)by Knit Purl Hunter286,349 views
- 6:38 KNITFreedom - How To Do Short Row Shaping And The "Wrap and Turn"by Liat Gat37,537 views
- 17:10 KNITFreedom - How To Turn A Heel: Toe-Up Heel Flap Socksby Liat Gat9,268 views
- 37:43 2 Socks at-a-time on 2 Circulars, Parts 1-7by VeryPink Knits134,889 views