Joe Manchin: 'It's Time' For Gun Control Debate
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 17, 2012
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), one of the strongest backers of the National Rifle Association (NRA) in the Democratic Party, said it is time to sit down and have a "sensible, reasonable" debate about gun control in light of the massacre in Newtown, Conn., and expressed an openness to banning assault weapons.
"It's time to move beyond rhetoric. We need to sit down and have a common-sense discussion and move in a reasonable way. ... Everything has to be on the table," Manchin said in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Monday, adding that he had just come from deer hunting with his family.
Manchin's comments are significant because he has an "A" rating from the NRA for his pro-gun positions, and the organization endorsed him as recently as October 2012.
"Joe Manchin is committed to protecting the Right to Keep and Bear Arms guaranteed to all Americans," NRA Chairman Chris Cox said.
Manchin also appears to be the first senator with an "A" rating from the NRA to go on national television in the wake of the Newtown shooting. On Sunday, David Gregory of NBC's "Meet the Press" said all 31 "pro-gun rights" senators in the new Congress turned down his request to appear on the show. CBS's "Face the Nation" said it ran into a similar problem. Manchin spokeswoman Emily Bittner told The Huffington Post their office had no record of "Meet the Press" reaching out to interview the senator on Sunday.
In Monday's interview, Manchin was critical of assault rifles, saying no hunter needs a weapon like that, although he didn't explicitly say he would back Sen. Dianne Feinstein's (D-Calif.) ban on such weapons, which she has said she will introduce in the new year.
"I don't know anyone who in the hunting or sporting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting," Manchin said. "I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."
While the NRA has always opposed such a ban in the past, Manchin said he believed the nature of the tragedy in Newtown changed the landscape.
"What's happened -- it's always been to the point when once you open it up, pretty soon you'll give up your whole Second Amendment rights, taking guns away and people not allowed to have guns. That's not what this should be about," Manchin said. "Millions and millions of people are proud gun owners, and they do it responsibly and by the law. So I think opening up and seeing the massacre of so many innocent children, it's changed. It's changed America. We've never seen this happen."
Manchin also said, however, that the NRA should have a seat at the table during the gun control debate.
"What I want to do is I want to call all our friends in the NRA and sit down and have this -- bring them into it," he added. "They have to be at the table."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:59 A Foreigner Telling An American To Disarm, We Are In Serious Trouble!by Love one and be loved oneFeatured 1,538
- 1:37 Rapper Ice T on US gun control (20July12)by liarpoliticians 693,636 views
- 23:02 David Gregory Hammers Wayne LaPierre Over NRA Position On Gun Lawsby Ryan Johnson 39,765 views
- 15:09 Ted Cruz NRA Convention. Attacks Obama Feinstein Biden. Every Word Of The Constitution Mattersby ONEINDACHAMBER187 6,826 views
- 0:44 National Sheriff's Association Announces They Will Not Support Unconstitutional Gun Control Lawsby UNFAIR & BIASED 45,086 views
- 10:05 Bill O'Reilly Confronts Bob Costas Over Gun Control Commentsby Les Grossman 261,913 views
- 5:07 Amazing Argument for the Failure of Gun Controlby USAleX 134,406 views
- 1:44 Dianne Feinstein says gun control is only for other people (VIDEO)by Michael Cuccaro 33,375 views
- 5:09 One Nation Under The Gun: NRA Nut-Bags Hold Gun Control Debate Hostageby politicalarticles 6,461 views
- 21:43 Gun Control and Mass Shootings: Facts, Lies and Godby Aaron Lujan 5,282 views
- 5:48 Is The NRA Winning The Gun Debate?_ You Don't Throw Rocks At A Man With A Machine Gunby MrCensorMe1 3,682 views
- 3:03 Ted Nugent Speaks out Against Obama and Gun Controlby George Warm 623,108 views
- 1:25 "Feinstein Walks Out On Reporter",California US Senate debateby PaoloPhotoFilms 231,326 views
- 13:32 TED CRUZ vs DIANNE FEINSTEIN "It's Fine You Want To Lecture Me On The Constitution"by UNFAIR & BIASED 21,442 views
- 1:05 George Will: Stronger Gun Control Laws Won't Helpby Adalrich William 2,077 views
- 6:28 Gun Control - Watch What Happens When Guns Are Bannedby QarenAnn's channel 30,421 views
- 6:24 Bulldozer slips off truckby Chris Maginnis 837,777 views
- 3:14 Buckwild Show Focuses on West Virginia, Senator Joe Manchin Demands Cancel Showby Super Duber News 3,389 views
- 1:59 Sore Loser - Sen. Feinstein After Losing Gun legislation states there will be no background checksby Wayne Dupree 56,241 views
- 6:01 AVTM #39 Gun control isn't the issue, you predictable twats!by Adam Kokesh 13,986 views
- Loading more suggestions...