Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 5, 2009
Posibly my favourite Bach composition.
The Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565, is a piece of organ music composed by Johann Sebastian Bach sometime between 1703 and 1707. It is one of the most famous works in the organ repertoire, and has been used in a variety of popular media ranging from film, to video games, to rock music, and ringtones.
As indicated by the accepted title of the piece, the Toccata and Fugue is scored in D minor. It is not in dorian mode as the key signature supposes, as it was common practice in the Baroque period to write in leading tone accidentals rather than in the key signature. It begins with a single-voice flourish in the upper ranges of the keyboard, doubled at the octave. It then spirals toward the bottom, where a diminished seventh chord appears, built one note at a time. This resolves into a D major chord, taken from the parallel major mode.
The subject of the four-voice fugue is made up entirely of sixteenth notes, with an implied pedal point set against a brief melodic subject that first falls, then rises. The second entry starts in the sub-dominant key rather than the dominant key. Although unusual for a Bach fugue, this is a real answer and is appropriate following a subject that progresses from V to I and then to V below I by a leap. A straightforward dominant answer would sound atonal and odd in a Baroque piece.
After the final entry of the fugal melody, the composition resolves to the key's corresponding major, B-flat, that is held. From there, a coda is played as a cadenza much like the Toccata itself, resolving to a series of chords followed by arpeggios that progress to other paired chords, each a little lower than the one preceding, leading to the signature finale that is as recognizable as the Toccata's introduction.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Bach: Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565" on
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 42:37 Antonin Dvorak - New World Symphony (Full)by avrilfan2213's channel 1,622,552 views
- 21:50 J.S.Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No.5 in D BWV1050 - Croatian Baroque Ensembleby Croatian Baroque Ensemble 511,717 views
- 1:15:24 J. S. Bach - The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080 - T. Koopman and T. Mathotby fmdsta 249,879 views
- 1:00:04 Beethoven - Diabelli Variations, Op. 120 [Grigory Sokolov]by musicanth 131,351 views
- 21:40 Rachmaninov: The Isle of the Dead, Symphonic poem Op. 29 - Andrew Davisby Canale di Nocturne331 467,697 views
- 7:36 Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 In G Majorby TheWickedNorth's channel 132,871 views
- 5:39 Air - Johann Sebastian Bachby 2010NEBELWARNER 3,411,737 views
- 9:25 Tchaikovsky - Marche Slaveby TheWickedNorth 1,339,701 views
- 8:33 J.S. Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565by Lila K 168,470 views
- 39 videos Play all Bach - Harpsichord Concertos (Trevor Pinnock)by SoliDeoGloria8550
- 21:32 Mozart: Trio for Clarinet, Viola and Piano, K.498 - Portal, Pasquier, Pennetierby Chaîne de glemoine14 57,512 views
- 4:31 Michael Fix - Toccata and Fugue in D minorby mstfilm 284,859 views
- 11:27 Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 Mov. 1by Music That Will Never Die 39,141 views
- 9:30 Bach, J.S. -- Toccata and Fugue in D Minorby andy fillebrown 104,824 views
- 8:34 Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organby Music Animation Machine 19,855,308 views
- 6:53 Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 (Allegro-Adagio)by Classical Music 884,765 views
- 2:49 Dark Choir Music Enchantingly Beautiful!by Baoban Shee 1,022,838 views
- 7:18 Barber Of Seville Overture - Rossiniby TheWickedNorth's channel 301,922 views
- 1:24:58 Zaz - Sans Tsu Tsou (2011) narkom.su.mkvby narkom777 163,676 views
- 10:36 Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2by TheWickedNorth's channel 316,305 views
- 8:54 Mozart - Requiemby Sensual excess 30,977,565 views
- Loading more suggestions...