5200mm Canon Lens World's MOST powerful Super telephoto EF FD (updated upload)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 27, 2009
READ!! Canon 5200mm F14 Prime Lens. The world's largest dedicated SLR Super Telephoto lens.
Extremely rare. Made in Japan. More info below:
Most probably a government ordered cold war spy tool - it certainly wasn't designed to just look at the stars with the use of it's ND filters...
It uses a mirror & lens combination. The front lens is massive.
Rear drop-in filters can be used.
•Focal Length: 5150mm
•Exposure Control: Light quantity is controlled with the use of built-in ND filters, corresponding to f/14, f/16, f/22, f/32
•Minimum Object Distance: 120 meters (Approx 393 feet!)
•Size: 500mm(wide) x 600mm(high) x 1890mm(deep) [20x24x75.6]
•Weight: 100kg (220 lbs) without stand.
From a Canon Flyer:
"This is the only ultra-telephoto lens in the world capable of taking photographs of objects 18 to 32 miles away (30km to 52kms away). Having a focal length of 5200mm, Canon Mirror Lens 5200mm can obtain one hundred times as large an object image as that of a 50mm lens."
"For focusing this mounted or fixed lens on an extremely distant object, two aiming telescopes are set on the side of the lens barrel, and the entire lens is placed on a rigid stand which rotates smoothly. Minimizing the overall length had been a big problem in designing this lens. However, the Catadioptric system that is applied to the other two Canon mirror lenses (Canon 800mm f3.8 & 2000mm f11) has succeeded in reducing it down to one third of the nominal focal length. In general focal length and optical aberration increase with each other, however, our long and persistent research and development have succeeded in solving this problem. Canon mirror lens 5200mm composed of spherical main and secondary mirrors and a correction lens would assure you of clear images."
The magnification of this lens is truly staggering.
If mounted to a video camera with 1/3" image sensors for example, a reach of at least 1000x optical would be possible (approx 37,500mm).
1/10 the magnification of the Hubble telescope - (approx 55.000mm)
If it was mounted on a cropped DSLR the angle of view would appear even narrower.
The video is a series of quick stills I took of the lens. I have also included video of the SIMULATED magnification. In fact the maximum video telephoto of this SIMULATION still just falls short of 3700mm in 35mm terms. So the 5200mm would be much closer & far sharper & distortion free with no nasty CA. The video was shot with an SD 16x9 2/3" camcorder with a SD TV video lens using multiple optical extenders. If the actual 5200mm was hooked up to a video camera we'd probably be seeing a close up on an eye.
To make it clear - the VIDEO IS SIMULATED - not shot with the actual 5200mm lens - since it's a "PRIME" - How could it be zooming? And of course there would be no nasty CA, edge blur, or fringing issues.
If anyone has other information about the 5200mm lens - its history & uses - please contact me.
Update: If I'd known the interest this clip was going to create - I would have created a far better video. Version 2 coming soon. This clip was originally edited to different music with the copyright free music overlaid due to copyright restrictions.
Thanks for watching
Music: Cambodian Odyssey, Chanter: by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...
Standard YouTube License
- 12:27 Pro DSLR + Cheapo Lens vs "Cheapo" DSLR + Pro Lensby DigitalRev TVFeatured 894,373
- 25:29 SNAP CAPS : best & worstby Glory2America 71,168 views
- 10:33 Top Gear- Bloopersby lTheStigl 511,334 views
- 4:10 Weekend Project: Macro Photography on a Budgetby MAKE 932,612 views
- 0:55 Red Bull - Canon Set-Upby cdodkin 378,924 views
- 31:32 Leading lines for portraiture - LIVEby thatnikonguy 55,084 views
- 18:49 Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 Comparisonby Dave Dugdale 584,693 views
- 6:28 Canon Lens Production 1by RazorFantasy 277,365 views
- 17 videos Play all My Uploadsby MrJonvegas
- 12:04 How to do Facebook Cover Photosby DigitalRev TV 275,064 views
- 0:28 Newswoman bending over in a black leather skirtby PathofIce 8,460,474 views
- 3:12 SIGMA APO 800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM Lensby SigmaAmerica 265,422 views
- 1:08 Best Camera Trick Ever!by brusspup 1,490,769 views
- 12:50 How a Digital Camera is Madeby kachenification 427,415 views
- 7:36 Canon T5i | T4i Touch Screen Review | T4i vs T3i | Training Tutorial Videoby MichaelTheMentor 51,756 views
- 5:26 High-Speed Photography Tutorial with Splashes and Flashesby PhotoExtremist 2,123,550 views
- 9:50 How to Take Portraits With One Flashby DigitalRev TV 498,914 views
- 2:46 Russia tests world's most powerful bombby RussiaToday 2,105,754 views
- 12:20 Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera (#7 Sean Lee Davies)by DigitalRev TV 284,040 views
- 15:21 Fotografia Macroby fotosbycaco 75,852 views
- 8:00 Canon EF-S 15-85mm lens reviewby cameralabs 350,696 views
- Loading more suggestions...