How Our Planet Works
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 2, 2008
Earth is the third planet from the Sun. Earth is the largest of the terrestrial planets in the Solar System in diameter, mass and density. It is also referred to as the Earth, Planet Earth, the World, and Terra.
Home to millions of species,including humans, Earth is the only place in the universe where life is known to exist. Scientific evidence indicates that the planet formed 4.54 billion years ago, and life appeared on its surface within a billion years. Since then, Earth's biosphere has significantly altered the atmosphere and other abiotic conditions on the planet, enabling the proliferation of aerobic organisms as well as the formation of the ozone layer which, together with Earth's magnetic field, blocks harmful radiation, permitting life on land.
Earth's outer surface is divided into several rigid segments, or tectonic plates, that gradually migrate across the surface over periods of many millions of years. About 71% of the surface is covered with salt-water oceans, the remainder consisting of continents and islands; liquid water, necessary for all known life, is not known to exist on any other planet's surface Earth's interior remains active, with a thick layer of relatively solid mantle, a liquid outer core that generates a magnetic field, and a solid iron inner core.
Earth interacts with other objects in outer space, including the Sun and the Moon. At present, Earth orbits the Sun once for every roughly 366.26 times it rotates about its axis. This length of time is a sidereal year, which is equal to 365.26 solar days. The Earth's axis of rotation is tilted 23.4° away from the perpendicular to its orbital plane, producing seasonal variations on the planet's surface with a period of one tropical year (365.24 solar days). Earth's only known natural satellite, the Moon, which began orbiting it about 4.53 billion years ago, provides ocean tides, stabilizes the axial tilt and gradually slows the planet's rotation. A cometary bombardment during the early history of the planet played a role in the formation of the oceans. Later, asteroid impacts caused significant changes to the surface environment.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:29:59 Evacuate Earth (death by a neutron star) full movie in HDby Vesta MediaDOQ964,554 views
- 9:33 Why Mars Died, and Earth Livedby SpaceRip1,126,028 views
- 43:45 Mars The Red Planet Documentary HDby HDSCIENCECHANNEL46,302 views
- 1:58:54 MUST WATCH Aliens Earth Takeover 2013 Full Length possible Aliens running the World Alertby Pete WDHCo1,470,126 views
- 43:02 Birth of the Earth (full episode) (how the Earth was made)by Hary Potter44,484 views
- 44:12 "The Universe" The End of the Earth: Deep Space Threats to Our Planet. (2007)by Danny Brunet6,116 views
- 58:56 Earth The Power Of The Planet - Earthby roughneckghost128,963 views
- 50 videos Play all tectonicsby trig6906
- 44:07 El Universo Temporada 1x07 Marte, el Planeta Rojo (Canal Historia)by filabrazillia12,943 views
- 44:06 Wszechświat - Mars Czerwona Planeta - Lektorby A8KPublishingCo4,275 views
- 4:01 Massive Bright Explosion on the Moon, Can be seen from Earthby NASAexplore518,646 views
- 1:31:29 EARTH: Making of a Planetby AskingScience88,935 views
- 1:30:00 Down To The Earths Core National Geographicby Patrick Carta503,708 views
- 45:08 (HD) Earth Under Water in Next 20 Years - National Geographic Documentaryby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,065,990 views
- 10:51 Journey to the Centre of Earth P3by Kurdistan Planetarium53,309 views
- 7:09 Q-NASA explorer earth and the moonby quantomQ3,532 views
- 2:08 How was our solar system created?by FirstscienceTV188,737 views
- 1:23:25 It Turns Out Comet Ison is Planet X NIBIRU !!! MOST HUMAN LIFE WILL NOT EXIST After January 2014 ⌚⌚⌚by CourageousNerd z613,394 views
- 59:31 The haunted planet: Mars 2013by Paul John McLeod99,800 views
- 1:31:29 Earth - Making Of A Planetby Pak Peek9,061 views