Marina Abramović - How we in the Balkans kill rats
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 30, 2007
From "The Star" movie (1999). This video was a piece of "Balkan Baroque" installation in the Venice Biennale 1997, that was Marina Abramović awared the Gold Lion Award.
"I´ d like to tell you a story of how we in the Balkans kill rats.
We have a method of transforming the rat into a wolf; we make a wolf rat.
But before I explain this method I´ d like to tell you something about rats themselves.
First of all, rats consume large quantities of food, sometimes double the weight of their own bodies.
Their front teeth never stop growing and they have to be ground constantly otherwise they risk suffocation.
Rats take good care of their families.
They will never kill or eat the members of their own family.
They are extremely intelligent.
Einstein once said: "If the rat were 20 kilos heavier it would definitely be the ruler of the world".
If you put a plate of food and poison in front of a hole the rat will sense it and not eat.
To catch the rats you have to fill all their holes with water, leaving only one open. In this way you can catch 35 to 45 rats.
You have to make sure that you choose only the males.
You put them in a cage and give them only water to drink.
After a while they start to get hungry, their front teeth start growing and even though, normally, they would not kill members of their own tribe, since they risk suffocation they are forced to kill the weak one in the cage.
And then another weak one, another weak one, and another weak one.
They go on until only the strongest and most superior rat of them all is left in the cage.
Now the rat catcher continues to give the rat water.
At this point timing is extremely important.
The rat´ s teeth are growing. When the rat catcher sees that there is only half an hour left before the rat will suffocate he opens the cage, takes a knife, removes the rat´ s eyes and lets it go.
Now the rat is nervous, outraged and in a panic. He faces his own death and runs into the rat hole and kills every rat that comes his way. Until he comes across the rat who is stronger and superior to him.
This rat kills him.
This is how we make the wolf rat in the Balkans."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:21 Lorde - Royals (US Version)by LordeVEVO Featured 106,771,054
- 28:39 Vietnam War Helicopter Door Gunners: "Shotgun Rider" circa 1967 US Army UH-1 Huey 29minby Jeff Quitney199,052 views
- 5:39 Marina Abramović: Embracing Fashion | "Exclusive" | Art21by Art2165,226 views
- 4:47 Lady GaGa talks about Marina Abramovićby filippo93326,111 views
- 4:10 Marina Abramovicby Alex Mirutziu27,038 views
- 9:52 Ulay & Abramović "AAA AAA" by unraropersonaje569,696 views
- 37 videos Play all Arteby lalibaduh
- 3:25 Marina Abramović: Performanceby The University of Chicago119,302 views
- 9:13 Marina Abramovic: The Abramovic Method, my body, my performance, my testament | Exclusive interviewby Bonsai TV113,265 views
- 4:19 James Franco Interviews Artist Marina Abramovic / Dec 3, 2009by IrinaJF116,161 views
- 1:30:44 Marina Abramović at the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gardenby Smithsonian258,438 views
- 8:53 Balkan Baroqueby filip taleski7,433 views
- 9:23 performance Olivier de Sagazan 2008by olivier de sagazan803,320 views
- 6:26 The Real Football Factories International - The Balkans 1by matheeya454,410 views
- 2:28 Relation in Time. Marina Abramović and Ulayby Martina Boero71,366 views
- 33:15 Marina Abramović on Performance (2 of 3)by Chicago Humanities Festival17,569 views
- 6:14 Marina Abramović - Art must be beautiful...by wekilledthegost62,075 views
- 10:40 Marina Abramovic | Interview pt. 1 | TimesTalksby TimesTalks187,592 views
- 9:57 Ulay & Abramović "Imponderabilia" by unraropersonaje150,464 views
- 3:38 Marina Abramović e Ulay - MoMA 2010by MiticoMazz6,826,915 views