Anxiety, Depression, and Narcissism
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 19, 2012
WARNING: This video requires acquaintance with professional terms in psychoanalysis and object relations theories. For a POPULAR TREATMENT of this topic, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0WKL9... Click on these links: http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/faq... (about depression) and http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/jou... (sadistic superego)
TERM EXPLAINED The Superego ("conscience") is the sum total of ideals and norms passed to us by our parents, teachers, and other role models. These parental and adult voices are internalized and become an integral part of our personality. Some parents are strict to the point of sadism and the resulting Superego is equally judgemental and taunting, promoting the individual to loathe himself and to be prone to self-destructive acts and self-defeating behaviors.
Everything You Need to Know about Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Abuse - click on this link: http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/faq...
People often mistake depression for emotion. They say about the narcissist: "but he is sad" and they mean: "but he is human", "but he has emotions". This is wrong. True, depression is a big component in the narcissist's emotional make-up. But it mostly has to do with the absence of Narcissistic Supply. It mostly has to do with nostalgia for more plentiful days, full of adoration and attention and applause. It mostly occurs after the narcissist has depleted his secondary Sources of Narcissistic Supply (spouse, mate, girlfriend, colleagues) with his constant demands for the "re-enactment" of his days of glory. Some narcissists even cry -- but they cry exclusively for themselves and for their lost paradise. And they do so conspicuously, ostentatiously, and publicly in order to attract attention.
The narcissist is a human pendulum hanging by the thread of the void that is his False Self. He swings from brutal and vicious abrasiveness to mellifluous, maudlin, and saccharine sentimentality. It is all a simulacrum, a verisimilitude, and a facsimile: enough to fool the casual observer, enough to extract the narcissist's drug: other people's attention, the reflection that somehow sustains his house of cards.
But the stronger and more rigid the defences -- and nothing is more resilient than pathological narcissism -- the greater and deeper the hurt the narcissist aims to compensate for. One's narcissism stands in direct relation to the seething abyss and the devouring vacuum that one harbours in one's True Self.
Perhaps narcissism is, indeed, as many say, a reversible choice. But it is also a rational choice, guaranteeing self-preservation and survival. The paradox is that being a self-loathing narcissist may be the only act of true self-love the narcissist ever commits.
(From the book "Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited" by Sam Vaknin - Click on this link to purchase the print book, or 16 e-books, or 3 DVDs with 16 hours of video lectures on narcissists, psychopaths, and abuse in relationships: http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/the...)
- 15:08 Uh-Oh! How they're coming after "Conspiracy Theorists"! Can U See?by TheScariestMovieEver Featured 10,942
- 11:42 Narcissist: Drama Queen in Pathological Narcissistic Spaceby Sam Vaknin14,348 views
- 11:02 Zombie Narcissist: Deficient Narcissistic Supplyby Sam Vaknin8,672 views
- 10:55 Narcissist: Destructive Envy and Romantic Jealousyby Sam Vaknin8,777 views
- 6:05 The Indifference of the Narcissistby narcissismvideos19,131 views
- 17:04 Raging Narcissist: Merely Pissed-off?by Sam Vaknin13,324 views
- 14:11 Narcissist: Stable Life or Roller Coaster?by Sam Vaknin9,268 views
- 11:10 Narcissist's Cycles of Ups and Downsby Sam Vaknin23,994 views
- 8:47 How the Abuser Reacts to the Separation from the Abusedby narcissismvideos86,078 views
- 10:48 When Narcissists Become Codependentsby Sam Vaknin10,596 views
- 12:02 Fight Abandonment and Separation Anxietyby Sam Vaknin11,959 views
- 5:17 The Narcissist and the Sense of Humorby narcissismvideos32,037 views
- 4:42 Narcissism and Empathyby narcissismvideos8,911 views
- 4:21 Narcissist Embarrassmentby narcissismvideos30,327 views
- 8:22 What is Gaslightingby narcissismvideos44,766 views
- 12:11 Narcissist Frustrates, Humiliates Women with Ostentatious Fidelityby Sam Vaknin25,060 views
- 14:39 Abuse Victim's Body: Effects of Abuse and Its Aftermathby Sam Vaknin6,425 views
- 1:15:05 Cold Empathy Garners Narcissistic Supply (Edwin Rutsch and Sam Vaknin)by Sam Vaknin4,640 views
- 9:12 Narcissist's Objects and Possessionsby Sam Vaknin16,439 views
- 9:31 The Narcissist Surprise when He's Accusedby narcissismvideos10,880 views
- Loading more suggestions...