How to Hand Wash Delicates
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 27, 2008
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Stains & Laundry videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/358-Sta...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
When it comes to fine knits or lacy, sheer, or shrinkable clothing, you have two choices: cough up the cash for the dry cleaner or take a few extra minutes to give your delicates the TLC they deserve.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Check label
Check the "proper care" label of the garment for any specific instructions.
It's a good idea to hand-wash knit items that have buttons, sequins, beading or other adornments, as they can be easily damaged in a washing machine.
Step 2: Fill sink
Fill the sink or basin with cool water.
Step 3: Add just enough detergent.
Add just enough detergent to cover the surface of the water.
Step 4: Dissolve detergent
Swirl the water with your hand to make sure the detergent is fully dissolved.
To make sure that fine knits retain their shape, pay attention what the article looks like now, dry, so that once it's wet you'll be able to reshape it correctly.
Step 5: Immerse article
Immerse the article in the water.
Step 6: Work in the suds
Gently swirl and squeeze the clothing, working the suds through. Don't pull, stretch, or wring the fabric.
Step 7: Soak garment
Allow the garment to soak for 2 to 5 minutes.
Step 8: Squeeze water out
Gently squeeze the excess water out of the garment--but don't wring or twist it. Drain the sink or basin.
Step 9: Rinse item
Refill the sink or basin with fresh water, and swirl the item around to rinse.
When washing silk, add a quarter cup of white vinegar to the first rinse to help remove the soap residue.
Step 10: Keep rinsing
Continue draining the soapy water, refilling it with fresh water, and swirling the item until there are no more suds in the water.
Step 11: Transfer to towel
After your final rinse, lift the garment, gently squeeze out the excess water, and transfer it to a flat towel.
Step 12: Roll up towel
Roll the towel up with the article inside, pressing on it gently to soak up more water.
If the garment soaks through the towel quickly, repeat the process on a second dry towel.
Step 13: Hang or reshape
Hang up the item if it won't stretch, or, in the case of knits that need to be reshaped, place it on a dry towel and arrange it to its original shape.
Did You Know?
The Federal Trade Commission instituted the use of "proper care" tags on all U.S. clothing in 1972.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:49 Clothing Care 101 | Tips and Tricksby MMandLShow Featured 16,689
- 2:42 How to Pack Everything for Your Vacation into a Carry-onby Howcast464,034 views
- 3:03 How to Chop an Onionby Howcast88,768 views
- 1:32 How to Keep Your Bras in Good Shapeby Howcast38,107 views
- 3:37 How to Do Laundryby Howcast170,954 views
- 6:40 How to Wash Clothing by Hand and Save Water!by ManitobaEcoNetwork11,058 views
- 15:51 New & Improved Outdoor Hand Washing Laundry Systemby pocketsofthefuture6,891 views
- 6:09 How To Handwash Clothes (Filipino Survival Guide)by IslandMediaAsia25,317 views
- 9:25 Hand Washing Our Laundry (Part 1)by pocketsofthefuture14,802 views
- 6:09 DIY: Engine Bay Washingby 4Diyers97,543 views
- 1:23 Washing Clothes in Xieng Khuangby peterlaos24,385 views
- 6:23 How to Wash & Clean Cotton Mens Dress Shirts - Male Clothing | Style Advice | Fashion Tipsby Real Men Real Style10,743 views
- 5:10 Dry cleaning? You can do it at home! See How Dryel Worksby DryelVideos122,249 views
- 12:37 A true miracle- How I got rid of my acne. Daily skin-care routine.by mamichula81534,807,304 views
- 6:52 My demonstration on how to wash white clothesby Conketia Sanders41,639 views
- 5:14 Keep Your Bras Beautiful! Taking Care of Your Bras!by NikkiDee1430,784 views
- 3:45 How to Wash Any Fabric | Hand Washing Clothes | Fab How Toby POPSUGAR Fashion9,266 views
- 1:44 Washing clothes in the Philippinesby Denny Hill75,683 views
- 5:19 SNAKED... FASHION SHOW MEN UNDERWEAR THEATRONby SNAKEDDESIGN1,198,049 views
- 3:03 How to Machine Wash Bras using a BraBallby almostrice22,571 views
- Loading more suggestions...