CAIR: Video of Apparent Arson Attack on Missouri Mosque
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 17, 2012
JOPLIN, Mo. — The FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are offering a $15,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the July 4 fire at the Islamic Center of Joplin mosque.
The reward is composed of $10,000 from the FBI and $5,000 from the ATF.
To help solicit information, the agencies released surveillance video from the mosque fire. Previously only a still photograph taken from the video had been released.
The fire, about 3:30 a.m. on July 4, caused minor damage to the roof and there were no injuries. Someone driving by reported the fire before it could spread.
Eric Jackson, acting special agent in charge of the FBI's Kansas City division, said the FBI takes attacks against all religious institutions and houses of worship seriously.
"The reason that we're offering this reward is that since this incident occurred the morning of the Fourth, a number of leads have been run out by the local sheriff's department, and FBI and ATF, and at this point, those leads have started to dry up," Jackson said. "What we want to do is bring this to the attention of the public and gain the assistance of the public in helping us to identify who this individual is."
Jasper County Sheriff Archie Dunn asked residents to call in even if they suspect something.
The video shows a man walking casually toward the mosque from the north. The mosque's flagpole is seen in the video. The man is wearing a long-sleeved, dark-colored shirt. He is carrying an item the size of a backpack in his left hand. The package has a long, thick fuse attached to it, hanging from the bottom of the package. The man lights the fuse with his right hand and tosses the package on the roof of the mosque with his left hand. The man is shown running to the west, through the mosque parking lot.
The authorities at the news conference wouldn't say what material was ignited.
Dunn asked viewers to make note of the man's short gait.
"He does seem to have an unusual running style," Dunn said. "I would ask that you pay attention to that. That could be a characteristic to identify somebody with. He doesn't run like a sprinter."
Authorities said the man's clothing, including the long-sleeved shirt, could help someone to identify the man.
"Somebody in this area's going to know this guy — no doubt about it," said Josh Nixon, supervising agent at the Joplin FBI office. "If we can just get them to call. That's what we need."
Jackson said the FBI's facial recognition software wasn't successful in identifying the man in the video. The video also will be taken to an FBI lab to try to further enhance the images.
Dunn repeated that no determination has been made about whether the crime will be prosecuted as a federal hate crime until a suspect is arrested and his motivation is determined.
"We're going to investigate the case," Nixon said. "If it's determined that a federal crime has been committed, we'll pursue a federal prosecution."
Donald Higgerson, resident agent in charge of the ATF Springfield office, said other federal statutes may also apply, which may allow for federal prosecution.
Jackson said investigators have no indication that the individual in the video had any assistance from anyone else.
Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization in Washington, D.C., welcomed the news when reached by phone. CAIR had issued a news release after the fire asking that it be investigated as a possible hate crime.
"I think this is an indication that the FBI and local law enforcement are taking this seriously, and we appreciate it," Hooper said.
He said he hopes the reward and the video will motivate people to call with information.
"In these cases, usually somebody knows who did it," Hooper said. "These people start bragging to their friends."
AUTHORITIES AT MONDAY'S news conference provided these phone numbers for people to call with information about the mosque fire:
FBI Joplin field office — (417) 206-5700.
Jasper County Sheriff's Department, Detective Tim Williams — (417) 358-8177, ext. 1223.
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — (417) 837-2100.
Missouri Division of Fire Safety's Arson Hot Line: 1-800-392-7766.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:05 Tsunami mosques Miracle of Allah!by Islam for MankindFeatured 1,728,179
- 0:49 Video: Surveillance Photos of Mo. Mosque Arson Suspect Released (CAIR)by CAIRtv 2,709 views
- 11:55 Video: CNN Host Slams Anti-Islam Bigot Brigitte Gabriel (CAIR)by CAIRtv 49,942 views
- 1:35 Video: CAIR Offers $10K Reward for Info on Mo. Mosque Fireby CAIRtv 774 views
- 2:21 Video: People in Joplin Supporting Congregation of Burned Mosque (CAIR)by CAIRtv 462 views
- 7:02 A. Cooper Debunks Lunatic Muslim Conspiracy, Makes Fools Of Usual Republican Suspectsby incitebytes 9,067 views
- 6:02 American Muslims celebrating 9/11by xGH3x 193,399 views
- 5:43 Bill Maher to Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Muslim Brotherhood) Quran is hate-filled holy bookby intub8or 7,228 views
- 2:37 Chris Matthews Attacks Michele Bachmann Calling Her 'Balloon Head'by HotAirPundit 10,834 views
- 5:42 Heated debate between Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul - FOX NEWS GOP Debate 12-15-11by GodGunsGutsGlory4KJV 48,134 views
- 7:12 AC360: Anderson Exposes Michele Bachmann's Billion Dollar Lieby Josh Mason 15,101 views
- 1:55 Joplin Mosque on Fire Second Time This Summerby katiemarielove 1,751 views
- 3:25 Bill Maher: michele bachmann is a JOKE!by VotsTownCrier 362,654 views
- 12:07 Video: Rep. Keith Ellison Slams Michele Bachmann's Anti-Muslim McCarthyism on CNN's AC360by CAIRtv 19,172 views
- 1:35 VIDEO: People Trapped in Convenience Store During Missouri Tornadoby FoxNewsInsider 49,616 views
- 6:16 Video: Chris Matthews Exposes Michele Bachmann's Anti-Muslim Conspiracy Theoriesby CAIRtv 17,536 views
- 3:35 Chatsworth Arson Suspect Seen on LAFD Surveillance Videoby LAFD 4,291 views
- 1:35 Mosque burns month after arson attemptby CNN 1,424 views
- 1:32 Islamic Center of Greater Toledo reveals damage from arsonby WNWOtv 1,138 views
- 9:32 Missouri mosque burned to the groundby RTAmerica 5,306 views
- Loading more suggestions...