Truth about Russian Georgian Conflict-roots and history-by Kovalev subtitled Интервью́ c Ковалёвым
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 14, 2008
For thsoe who are intrested in real roots of thsi conflict listen to a Russian dissident Kovalev.
Sergei Adamovich Kovalev (also spelt as Sergey Kovalyov; Russian: Сергей Адамович Ковалёв; b. March 2, 1930) is a Russian human rights activist and politician and a former Soviet dissident and political prisoner.
1 Early career and arrest
2 During perestroika
3 Post-Soviet Russia
4 See also
6 External links
8 Further reading
 Early career and arrest
Kovalev was born in the town of Seredina-Buda in Ukraine, near Sumy. In 1932, his family moved to Podlipki village near Moscow. In 1954 he graduated from Moscow State University. As a biophysicist, Kovalev authored more than 60 scientific publications. From mid-1950s, he opposed Trofim Lysenko's theories favored by the ruling Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
In 1969, he founded the first Soviet human rights association, the Initiative Group for the Defense of Human Rights in the USSR, and later became the principal link to the dissident movement in Lithuania. Kovalev actively participated in publication of samizdat periodicals such as Moscow-based Chronicle of Current Events and The Chronicle of the Catholic Church in Lithuania.
He was arrested on December 8, 1974, and tried in Vilnius, charged with "anti-Soviet agitation and propaganda" (Article 70 of the RSFSR Penal Code) and served seven years in labor camps in Perm region and Chistopol prison, and later three years in internal exile at Kolyma. Upon his return, he settled in Kalinin (now Tver).
 During perestroika
During perestroika initiated by Mikhail Gorbachev, Kovalev was allowed to return to Moscow (in 1986). In that period, he continued his activism and participated in the founding of several key humanitarian organizations and initiatives:
The human rights society Memorial, dedicated to the memory and rehabilitation of victims of political repression in the USSR. Kovalev has served as its co-chairman since 1990.
The Moscow branch of Amnesty International.
The International Humanitarian Conference (December 1987)
In 1989, Andrei Sakharov recommended him as a co-director of the Project Group for defense of Human Rights, later renamed into Russian-American Human Rights Group.
 Post-Soviet Russia
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Kovalev turned to official politics. In January 1991, he coauthored the Declaration of Human and Civil Rights in Russia and was a major contributor to Article 2 (Rights and Liberties of Man and Citizen) of the Constitution of the Russian Federation.
From 1990 to 1993, he was an elected People's Deputy of the Russian Federation, and a member of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Russian Federation. He served as the Chairman of the President's Human Rights Commission and Human Rights Commissioner for the Russian parliament, the State Duma.
From 1993 until 2003 Kovalev was a member of the Russian State Duma. From 1996 to 2003 he was also a member of the Russian delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and a member of the Assembly's Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights.
In 1993, he co-founded the movement and later, the political party Choice of Russia (Выбор России), later renamed Democratic Choice of Russia (Демократический выбор России).
Since 1994, Kovalev, then Yeltsin's human rights adviser, has been publicly opposed to Russia's military involvement in Chechnya. From Grozny, he personally witnessed and reported the realities of the First Chechen War. His daily reports via telephone and on TV galvanized Russian public opinion against the war. For his activism, he was removed from his post in the Duma in 1995.
Kovalev has been an outspoken critic of authoritarian tendencies in the administrations of Boris Yeltsin and Vladimir Putin. In 1996, he resigned as head of Yeltsin's presidential human rights commission. In 2002, he organized a public commission to investigate the 1999 Moscow apartment bombings (the Kovalev Commission), which was effectively paralyzed after one of its members, Sergei Yushenkov, was assassinated, another member, Yuri Shchekochikhin, poisoned with thallium, and its legal counsel and investigator, Mikhail Trepashkin, arrested.
Kovalev is a recipient of numerous awards and honorary titles. In 2005, he participated in "They Chose Freedom", a four-part television documentary on the history of the Soviet dissident movement.
Standard YouTube License
- 12:09 It`s a second Cold Warby RT Featured 6,964
- 2:12:12 Is the New World Order a Natural Evolution? | The Invisible Empire of the Shadows FULL [HD]by Zack Covell4,842 views
- 1:21:06 Тренинг Ковалева С.В. на Всерос. Фестивале НЛП ч.1by Fundamentum201248,691 views
- 8:06 Al Jazeera - Russia VS Georgia war (1/2)by EnglaHoglund455,618 views
- 15:32 Sergey Kovalev vs Darnell Boone IIby Gorky Box37,642 views
- Sergei Kovalev 646 videos24
- 13:26 Georgian Diaokhi Tao East of Byzantium Georgian history Armenian history Greater Armenia kingdomby Georgian Diaokhi Diauehi Taochi Tao Moschi Muskhi Meskhi Mesxi Moschoi996 views
- 22:26 Главное - сформулировать желаниеby pravdavideo187,719 views
- 45:57 Взрослые Игры. Загадайте желаниеby blagopoluchny158,600 views
- 54:10 Ковалев Сергей Викторович ч 1 Психология, психотерапия и нейропрограммирование любвиby максим гет44,525 views
- 4:13 THE GENETIC HISTORY OF EUROPE BC 6000 -BC 1000by SabirOnogur246,740 views
- 10:16 საქართველოს ისტორიის მახინჯი კარუსელიby mordjon16,872 views
- 2:50:48 Квантовый скачек Сознания. (Сергей Ковалев)by TheMasterkosta219,431 views
- 8:10 The Reason of Abkhazia-Georgia Conflictby sausryqua14,263 views
- 16:44 ДПДГ - ОЧИСТИТЕ психику от МУСОРА - Ковалев С.В.by Taras Shramenko76,406 views
- 8:05 shabatis show hitleri part2by zura utmelidze227,409 views
- 10:05 Жириновский о ближайшем будущемby Политота1,183,805 views
- 10:55 Интервью́ c Ковалёвым part three-to be continuedby GeorgianKings1,861 views
- 8:29 2RR:4 Revolution from Below Iby woodbineRed5,871 views
- 12:19 Sergey Kovalev vs. Cornelius White Сергей Ковалев против Корнелиус Уайтby boxingfan77853,509 views