The Invention of Glory: A Symposium: Part 3, Will Chandler
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 26, 2012
The Invention of Glory: A Symposium, Part 3 of 3
Saturday, June 9, 2012
James S. Copley Auditorium
Distinguished panelists from across the country will contextualize the Museum's exhibition on 14th century tapestries.
Dr. John Marciari is the Curator of European Art and the Head of Provenance Research at The San Diego Museum of Art. He is responsible for the planning and implementation of the iteration of The Invention of Glory at the Museum.
Dr. Barbara von Barghahn is Professor of Art History at George Washington University in Washington D.C. Since receiving her Ph.D at New York University, Dr. von Barghahn has been a prolific writer, contributing texts to many important art historical publications and authoring multiple books, including Age of Gold, Age of Iron: Renaissance Spain and Symbols of Monarchy. Her talk is titled "Defining the Perfect Prince in an Age of Chivalry: Portugal's Moroccan Campaign and the Pastrana Tapestries."
From Jan van Eyck's Ghent Altarpiece commemorating the 1415 conquest of Ceuta to Flemish tapestries that documented the 1471 taking of Tangier, this lecture will consider: "portraits of power" in the context of chivalric ideals; the imaging of triumph in the clash of arms; the palatine display of tapestries as a visual chronicle of a contemporary epic; and the fame accrued from Portuguese expeditions to North Africa which initiated an age of navigation and a transformation of the medieval world picture.
Will Chandler is an Independent Curator and the owner of Chandler Art Consulting Services. A former Curator of Decorative Arts at SDMA, in the 1980s he directed the conservation of the Museum's early 18th Century "Pillage" tapestry from the "Second Art of War Series." His presentation will illustrate the circumstances and techniques that led to this tapestry's creation, its expressions of continuity with the Pastrana Tapestries and of the artistic changes that followed them, and the variety of ways in which it has been interpreted since its arrival in San Diego in 1926.
Standard YouTube License
- 58:05 The Invention of Glory: A Symposium: Part 2, Dr. Barbara von Barghahnby SanDiegoMuseumofArt281 views
- 23:22 Documental: Un fil sense fi - How to make a tapestryby tvdigitalontinyent3,131 views
- 3:01 82nd & Fifth: "Breakthrough" by Thomas P. Campbellby The Metropolitan Museum of Art , New York487 views
- 25:30 Freedom of the City Symposium: West Dallas and the Artsby smumeadows127 views
- 2:54 82nd & Fifth: "Starting Over" by Elizabeth Clelandby The Metropolitan Museum of Art , New York590 views
- 50:38 Curator's Perspective: "A Conservative Revolutionary: John Constable and Art History"by FristCenter516 views
- 2:13:36 Session 5 - Symposium: Nation Building: Aesthetic Frontiersby americanartmuseum426 views
- 47:48 Symposium: Piranesi, Rome, and the Arts of Design Part 1by SanDiegoMuseumofArt368 views
- 37:36 The Invention of Glory: A Symposium: Part 1, Dr. John Marciariby SanDiegoMuseumofArt346 views
- 36:42 Symposium: Piranesi, Rome, and the Arts of Design Part 2by SanDiegoMuseumofArt496 views
- 29:38 Symposium: Piranesi, Rome, and the Arts of Design Part 3by SanDiegoMuseumofArt205 views
- 4:29 Dovecot Studios: A rich tapestryby Creative Choices2,282 views
- 38:18 Symposium: Piranesi, Rome, and the Arts of Design Part 4by SanDiegoMuseumofArt115 views
- 1:40 (r)evolution .wmvby emokemoke101 views
- 42:21 Behold, America! Symposium, Part 1by SanDiegoMuseumofArt98 views
- 34:09 Behold, America! Symposium, Part 5by SanDiegoMuseumofArt84 views
- 2:08:30 Session 7 - Symposium: Nation Building: Post Craftby americanartmuseum476 views
- 2:11:13 Session 2 - Symposium: Nation Building: Values on Displayby americanartmuseum303 views
- 17:41 Weaving a Tapestry/Bead Cuff Bracelet on a Mirrix Loomby Elena Zuyok5,762 views
- 29:53 Behold, America! Symposium, Part 4by SanDiegoMuseumofArt75 views
- Loading more suggestions...