"The Rich Don't Always Win," book by Sam Pizzigati
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 19, 2012
Sam Pizzigati, Associate Fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies, discusses his new book, "The Rich Don't Always Win: The Forgotten Triumph Over Plutocracy That Created the American Middle Class, 1900-1970."
Polls now show that two-thirds of Americans believe that the nation's enormous wealth ought to be "distributed more evenly." But almost as many Americans—well over half—feel that protests against inequality will ultimately have "little impact." The rich, millions of us believe, always get their way.
Except they don't.
A century ago, the United States hosted a super-rich even more domineering than ours today. Yet fifty years later that super rich had almost entirely disappeared. Their majestic mansions and estates had become museums and college campuses, and America had become a vibrant, mass middle class nation, the first and finest the world had ever seen.
Americans today ought to be taking no small inspiration from this stunning change. After all, if our forbears successfully beat back grand fortune, why can't we? But this transformation is inspiring virtually no one. Why? Because the story behind it has remained almost totally unknown, until now.
This lively popular history speaks directly to the political hopelessness so many Americans feel. By tracing how average Americans took down plutocracy over the first half of the 20th Century — and how plutocracy came back — The Rich Don't Always Win outfits the 99 percent with a deeper understanding of what we need to do to get the United States back on track to the American dream.
"Make room for The Rich Don't Always Win on your bookshelf right next to Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States." —Barbara Ehrenreich, author of Nickel and Dimed
"Bold, thorough, and above all inspiring—an energizing and spirited reminder of what it took, and what it will take, to once again make ours a nation of equals." —Gar Alperovitz, author of America Beyond Capitalism
"Only 50 years ago, America 'soaked' the rich with a 91 percent income tax. And guess what? America prospered! Not just the rich, but ordinary families. With colorful detail, Sam Pizzigati tells us why we should revisit that policy of prosperity for ALL, rather that for the plutocratic few." —Jim Hightower, national radio commentator and New York Times best-selling author
"This inspiring history offers a bold blueprint for today's equality movements." —Chuck Collins, author of 99 to 1: How Wealth Inequality is Wrecking the World and What We Can Do About It
- 10:09 Subliminal Instant Millionaire The Riches Withinby drvirtual7 Featured 384,705
- 2:17 We're Not Broke, Just Twisted: Extreme Wealth Inequality in Americaby Institute for Policy Studies75,209 views
- 3:03 Pay Your Share: Stop Corporate Tax Dodgersby Institute for Policy Studies1,708 views
- 3:51 Fox News: The Nonsense Zone // Who is behind the Occupy Wall Street movement?by Institute for Policy Studies1,231 views
- 1:45:05 What are the IMF and the World Bank? Why Should I Care?by Institute for Policy Studies3,138 views
- 39:57 The Crash - The Coming Financial Collapse of Americaby Rothschildism133,620 views
- 4:13 The Next American Revolution, featuring Gar Alperovitz (TRAILER)by Democracy Collaborative1,126 views
- 1:45:08 Capitalism Hits the Fan - Richard Wolffby PHubb141,229 views
- 42:03 John Stossel's Illegal Everythingby VP attnm383,818 views
- 6:20 RFID Chip Kills you if you disobeyby WalKnDude002312,955 views
- 27:04 Super Wealth Manifestor 1by Mind Power Programs375,777 views
- 18:26 TOP 9 Hunger Games Changes - Book to Movieby comicbookgirl1978,842 views
- 9:52 JOHNNY CARSON - 1983 Interview - (Part 1 of 2)by Memory Banks7,788 views
- 5:50 Banned TED Talk: Nick Hanauer "Rich people don't create jobs"by Zubenelgenubiii665,607 views
- 4:50 Are you ready for the coming collapse?by concen102,499 views
- 3:34 US streets full of formerly middle classby RT America164,156 views
- 2:35 New World Currency !!!by kduron2082328,269 views
- 12:58 TU154, IL96, IL62, Saudi Boeing 777, Government Airbuses VIP Visits to London Stansted Airportby bananamanuk31,115 views
- 15:39 The Young Turks Vs. InfoWarsby MrDeppness6,877 views
- 2:02 NBC Prediction That We Will All Have an RFID Chip Under Our Skin by 2017by Imbeffie286,943 views
- Loading more suggestions...