CAPSTICK COMES HOME - Tony Capstick
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 14, 2008
CAPSTICK COMES HOME - Tony Capstick and Carlton Main/Frickley Colliery Band. (1981)
'The New World Symphony' by Dvorak,
CAPSTICK COMES HOME
I'll never forget that first day at t'pit. Me an' mi father worked a seventy two hour shift, an' then we walked home forty three mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.
Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village. Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.
We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire. Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."
Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.
Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone." He were a reyt tater, mi father. He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.
An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.
We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes. We med us own fun in them days. Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, Hitler and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.
They don't know they're born today!!!
1944 - 2003
Standard YouTube License
- 4:07 Paint Huffer Mugshots Over 14 Year Spanby Ethan PlumFeatured 1,143,611
- 3:59 Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen (with Rowan Atkinson)by bolus 386,007 views
- 1:24:11 Last Of The Summer Wine (New Year Special 1986) S08Ep 07 Uncle Of The Brideby LastOfTheSummerWine2 3,635 views
- 6:22 Mike Harding - One Night in Lincoln Part 01by wopp1t 33,853 views
- 2:50:12 The Mike Harding Show - Live From Buxton Opera House 1982by MrFluxCapacitor 23,535 views
- 6:53 tommy trinder talking about george formbyby 4276357 17,340 views
- 35:42 Last Of The Summer Wine s04e07 - A Merry Heatwaveby LastOfTheSummerWine2 5,510 views
- 6 videos Play all windows media player listby kessiebar1
- 2:09 Yorkshire Airlines - Ee Bah Gum Lad!by SupernaturalWorld 16,170 views
- 9:14 MARKHAM MAIN COLLIERY ARMTHORPEby TheDearnerover 2,311 views
- 2:14 Yorkshire Dialectby Guitcad1 163,317 views
- 0:31 Hovis Tv Commercial - Very Nice Young Haroldby williebeable21too 6,466 views
- 8:05 mike harding - strangeways hotelby tigerjay1974 33,010 views
- 8:39 Bygone Sheffieldby Mark Waterhouse 31,323 views
- 9:59 Four Deaf Yorkshiremenby Charlie Swinbourne 169,313 views
- 28:46 Last Of The Summer WIne Desperate For A Duffieldby KYLEROB19 49,375 views
- 4:31 ELO - Mr.Blue Sky (Original Promo)by alaf22 6,779,175 views
- 10:00 Last of the summer wine Your's truly if you're not careful part 1by KYLEROB19 12,322 views
- 4:02 Going Home - Seafarer's Farewellby Klaus Lange 204,567 views
- 10:57 A Week In Scarborough, North Yorkshire (in 10 minutes 56 seconds)by SteveBenway 14,917 views
- 3:12 Shaddap You Face - Joe Dolceby Soxman2004 3,237,894 views
- Loading more suggestions...