Braised chicken with vegetables (Dakjjim: 닭찜)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 13, 2011
Dakjjim is braised chicken with vegetables. Dak (닭) is chicken and jjim (찜) is a cooking term for "braise" or "steam." So dakjjim is also called jjimdak.
There are a few different versions of jjimdak in Korean cuisine, depending on the region it comes from and the ingredients used. The popular Andong jjimdak is a special dish from the city of Andong. This dakjjim recipe that I'm introducing to you to today is Andong style, which so many people have requested. I'll post a hot and spicy dakjjim (called dakbokkeumtang or dakdoritang) recipe someday in the future.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
Chicken thighs, starch noodles, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice syrup (or corn syrup), dark brown sugar, vegetable oil, dried red peppers, potatoes, garlic, cucumber, green onions, carrot, white mushrooms, onion, green chili peppers, red chili peppers, ground black pepper, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
Total preparation time: 50 mins to 1 hour.
Prepare chicken and noodles:
Trim the excess fat from 3 pounds of chicken thighs (or breasts or wings) and cut them into bite-sized pieces (1 inch x 2 ½ inches).
Rinse the chicken in cold water and soak it for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
Soak 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of starch noodles in cold water.
Combine ¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup oyster sauce, ¼ cup rice syrup (or corn syrup), and 1 tbs dark brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
Cut 3 peeled medium sized potatoes into 1½ inch thick chunks.
Slice 1 medium sized carrot into slices 1/8 inch thick.
Slice 1 medium sized onion.
Chop up 1 red chili pepper and 2 green chili peppers.
Slice 1 cup's worth of white mushrooms into bite-sized chunks.
Cut 5-7 green onion stalks into pieces 2 inch long.
Shred the white parts of the green onions thinly lengthwise, and soak in cold water for 10 minutes before draining.
Heat up a wok or a shallow skillet. Add 1-2 tbs vegetable oil.
Cut 2-3 dried red peppers into pieces ½ inch long. Add them to the heated oil and stir-fry for 10-15 seconds before taking them out.
Add the chicken.
*tip: to prevent yourself from getting burned from flying oil, first place the chicken on the edge of the pot and then push it in with a wooden spoon.
Stir the chicken with a wooden spoon a few times. Let it cook with the lid open for about 3-5 minutes.
Turn the chicken over, give it a quick stir, and let it cook with the lid open for another 3-5 minutes.
Add minced garlic and ginger and stir it for a minute.
Add the potato chunks, the sauce, and 2½-3 cups of water. Cook for 10 minutes over high heat with the lid closed.
Open the lid and add carrot and onion and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Keep the lid open.
Add soaked and drained starch noodles, sliced red pepper,
green chili peppers, white mushrooms, and cucumber.
Keep stirring for 7-10 minutes over high heat until the braising liquid has thickened and the noodles look translucent.
Turn off the heat and add 2 ts ground black pepper and 1 tbs sesame oil. Mix it together
Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with chopped green onions and sprinkle some sesame seeds over top before serving.
Enjoy it with rice!
Standard YouTube License
- 6:32 Fried Rice (Bokkeumbap: 볶음밥)by Maangchi Featured 119,053
- 10:34 Spicy braised chicken (dakbokkeumtang: 닭볶음탕)by Maangchi180,911 views
- 7:15 Korean fried chicken recipeby Maangchi1,826,110 views
- 7:15 How to grow Soybean Sprouts (Kongnamul: 콩나물)by Maangchi135,586 views
- 7:27 Soju Watermelon Cocktail (수박소주)by Maangchi71,554 views
- 7:56 Braised mackerel with radish (고등어무조림)by Maangchi72,658 views
- 7:04 Cucumber kimchi (Oi-sobagi: 오이소박이)by Maangchi99,569 views
- 25 videos Play all My Recipesby manque15
- 8:59 Noodles with blackbean sauce (Jjajangmyeon: 짜장면)by Maangchi314,614 views
- 6:30 Pork bone soup ("gamjatang":감자탕)by Maangchi301,294 views
- 5:45 Cubed radish kimchi (kkakdugi: 깍두기)by Maangchi134,510 views
- 8:45 Korean spicy seafood noodle soup (jjampong:짬뽕)by Maangchi320,223 views
- 7:26 Chapssalddeok (Korean style mochi)by Maangchi241,742 views
- 9:00 Ppopgi (old-fashioned Korean sugar candy) 뽑기by Maangchi40,957 views
- 6:18 Korean spicy stir-fried pork (Jeyukbokkeum:제육볶음)by Maangchi417,314 views
- 9:37 Ganjang-gejang (Raw crabs marinated in soy sauce: 간장게장)by Maangchi70,025 views
- 8:36 Tuna pancakes (Chamchijeon: 참치전)by Maangchi146,451 views
- 8:22 Soybean sprouts bibimbap (kongnamulbap: 콩나물밥)by Maangchi111,363 views
- 10:17 Sujebi (hand-torn noodle soup:수제비)by Maangchi260,933 views
- 6:35 Chicken and rice porridge (dakjuk: 닭죽)by Maangchi172,045 views