Malcolm Gladwell Outliers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 21, 2008
NewsStoryOfTheDay http://www.facebook.com/NSOTD http://www.twitter.com/NSOTD
Campaign to have Christopher Hitchens knighted
Malcolm Gladwell, best selling author of The Tipping Point and Blink, has a new book Outliers. Apart from being an excellent book on success, it may give insight on Gladwell himself, since he would appear to an outlier too.
After having a night to sleep on what I heard from Malcolm Gladwell here are my comments. Note, I have read all his books including Outliers and attended his early sold-out show in London on November 24.
Gladwell participated in a BBC Radio 4 show http://tinyurl.com/5584ra , one of the panelists singled out the aircraft story as exceptional.
Less than 12 hours later Gladwell stands before a packed house at London's Lyceum Theatre without a pre-planned theme or even topic. This point was well explored in Stephen Moss's guardian article. http://tinyurl.com/5cwq2e
Here are some points which strike me.
The radio show gave him the topic of his talk later that day. I believe it accounted for the material appearing slightly disorganized, however it was still entertaining.
His theme the "ethnic theory of plane crashes" pointed to the Outliers theme in a creative way.
Gladwell wove many stories, including 2 other airplane disasters around the main theme of the Columbian airline's Avianca 052 plane crash. This led the audience to almost forget that we are listening to a plane crash story.
Along the way we learned (and not necessarily in this order) that those who remain angry in the southern USA point to the belligerence their forebears displayed when they lived in England, Scotland and Ireland. Hundreds of years had not changed them.
We learned about power-distance index, where very few crashes occur when the co-pilot is flying the plane. Indicating you may be safer with the co-pilot in a disaster. This has widespread significance for all power relationships; husband-wife, student-teacher, boss-employee.
We learned that Jamaicans have more in common with Danes than say Barbadians. We also learned why.
We found out that Gladwell is English, a fact that the English struggle with to this day. In the UK unless all four of your grandparents are born in England and are white, you are not actually considered as English by many. You are British perhaps. Gladwell has a Jamaican mother and an English Father.
And finally we are faced with the fact that the Bush era is over. Outliers like Obama, Gladwell and most of his audience last night have been handed the keys to the world. And just like that, he crashed Avianca short of landing and exited stage left. London is still in shock!
Standard YouTube License
- 3:09 Secrets Of Big Successby CBSFeatured 58,376
- 13:31 Malcolm Gladwell - Outliers 2 (2009)by Antonio Suarez 15,111 views
- 3:25 Malcolm Gladwell on Why People Succeedby Linkage Inc 64,305 views
- 3:06 Tim Ferriss Scoffs at Gladwell's 10,000 Hoursby ForaTv 35,378 views
- 1:09:09 Malcolm Gladwell at HPU | North Carolina Collegesby highpointuniversity 18,884 views
- 14 videos Play all Gladwellby gusto6502
- 2:00 Happiness & Choicesby udemycom 13,449 views
- 48:33 Malcolm Gladwell - THE KENNA PROBLEM: Why asking people what they like is sometimes a bad ideaby TheIHMC 23,484 views
- 57:51 HPU: Gladwell and Qubein | Universites in North Carolinaby highpointuniversity 9,668 views
- 15:01 Malcolm Gladwell: The strange tale of the Norden bombsightby TEDtalksDirector 69,983 views
- 27:38 @katiecouric: Malcolm Gladwellby Katie Couric 16,738 views
- 26:16 Malcolm Gladwell | Part 1 | May 28, 2012 | Appel Salonby torontopubliclibrary 21,491 views
- 43:04 Malcolm Gladwell Part 1 - November 28, 2011 - Bon Mot Book Club - Vancouverby Leah Costello 7,133 views
- 9:29 Malcolm Gladwell: The Art of Managementby THEARTOF 8,453 views
- 9:21 Chris Langan:The Smartest Man In The World-1by lsantiag03 228,331 views
- 4:19 Thomas Friedman & Malcolm Gladwell on Terrorismby CTFORUM 20,278 views
- 10:01 Malcolm Gladwell - Innovation in Healthcareby Ideaworks2009 6,084 views
- 1:29 Steve Jobs explains the rules for successby jandafrique 2,454,511 views
- 7:15 An Evening With Malcolm Gladwell moderated by Ariel Levyby 92ndStreetY 7,259 views
- 4:48 Minnesota's Tipping Point: Malcolm Gladwell speech on 10.9.0by Michael Bischoff 30,820 views
- 50:46 Malcolm Gladwell - Why do some succeed where others fail? What makes high-achievers different?by pennalumni 154,326 views
- Loading more suggestions...