How to make a lattice top pie crust
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2008
We thought lattice pie crusts required engineering or geometry skills, but it turns out all you really need is a ruler and nerves of steel 'til you get hang of it. Lauren Chattman from Pillsbury shows us the secret of how to make a gorgeous lattice top pie crust.
How to make a lattice pie crust
Traditional lattice weave
1. First, let the refrigerated pie crust soften on the counter for 15 minutes, so that its easy to work with. Then roll it out onto the countertop. It shouldnt be sticky, so no flour is needed.
2. Using a ruler, mark off the crust every ½ inch to ¾ of an inch.
3. Using the ruler marks as a guide, cut the pie crust into strips with a pairing knife.
4.Starting from the outside of the sliced pie crust, pick up one strip (the shortest one) and lay it down across one edge of the pie. Selecting every other strip, place them across the pie in one direction with a 1/2 space between each strip.
5. Now for the weaving part: The next set of strips will be facing perpendicular to the first set. Again start at the edge, and as you lay it across the pie, lift every other strip from the first set so the new strip goes over and under every other one. Continue this over and under pattern as you lay down the remaining strips across the pie.
6. Finish off the crust by rolling the edge under. If there are any overhanging pieces from these strips, you tuck them right in.
7. To scallop the edges, push your index finger in between two other fingers to get a crimped edge all the way around. Think push rather than pinch to get the best look.
8. Before baking, place a pie shield or aluminum foil strips on top of the pie crust edges to prevent burning. Remove them 15 minutes before the pie is finished.
Quick & Easy Lattice
A simpler alternative to the traditional lattice weave is to place every other strip across the pie in one direction, then place the remaining strips on top in the opposite direction. This way, you can save time by not weaving every strip. Once baked, the quick & easy lattice looks nearly as gorgeous as the traditional method.
lattice pie crust
lattice top crust
how to make a lattice crust
how to make a pie crust
Standard YouTube License
Next in Howdini Baking: Cakes, Cookies, Pies & More!
- 9:32 Chicken Pot Pie Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 219by Laura in the Kitchen Featured 330,478
- 5:16 How to make pie crust - Pie crust recipeby Howdini781,119 views
- 7:35 How To make crème brûlée - Crème brûlée recipeby Howdini803,900 views
- 3:26 How to make a pumpkin pecan braidby Howdini25,302 views
- 11:50 Perfect Pie Crust Recipe: Nana's Secret Recipe and Tips!by Nana's Cookery138,098 views
- 4:08 How to weave a lattice-top pie crust: SomethingEdible.comby Something Edible11,599 views
- 15:24 Pie Crust Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby Joy of Baking343,113 views
- 14 videos Play all How to Make an Apple Pieby playgroundtown
- 11:10 Mom's Apple Pieby Tim Duquette230,916 views
- 13:05 Strawberry Pie Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby Joy of Baking196,524 views
- 9:41 Easy Homemade Pie Crust Recipe ~ How to Make Pie Crustby Hilah Cooking128,419 views
- 15:57 Apple Pie Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby Joy of Baking412,937 views
- 9:40 Betty's Best Homemade Pie Crust Recipeby Betty's Kitchen158,663 views
- 7:25 Betty's Homemade Apple Pie Recipeby Betty's Kitchen190,171 views
- 6:28 Best Homemade Pizza Recipeby ChefToddMohr358,266 views
- 12:21 How to Make Flakey Pie Crust from Scratch "The Easy Way" -2Crust Recipeby videohomeandgarden70,994 views
- 5:47 McDONALDS APPLE PIE - VIDEO RECIPEby Nicko's Kitchen653,963 views
- 8:07 Perfect Pie Crustby dhphotovid87,516 views
- 6:18 Peach Cobbler Recipe: Old Fashioned & Homemade with A Buttery Pie Crust Recipeby Divas Can Cook213,192 views