How to make a lattice top pie crust
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2008
We thought lattice pie crusts required engineering or geometry skills, but it turns out all you really need is a ruler and nerves of steel 'til you get hang of it. Lauren Chattman from Pillsbury shows us the secret of how to make a gorgeous lattice top pie crust.
How to make a lattice pie crust
Traditional lattice weave
1. First, let the refrigerated pie crust soften on the counter for 15 minutes, so that its easy to work with. Then roll it out onto the countertop. It shouldnt be sticky, so no flour is needed.
2. Using a ruler, mark off the crust every ½ inch to ¾ of an inch.
3. Using the ruler marks as a guide, cut the pie crust into strips with a pairing knife.
4.Starting from the outside of the sliced pie crust, pick up one strip (the shortest one) and lay it down across one edge of the pie. Selecting every other strip, place them across the pie in one direction with a 1/2 space between each strip.
5. Now for the weaving part: The next set of strips will be facing perpendicular to the first set. Again start at the edge, and as you lay it across the pie, lift every other strip from the first set so the new strip goes over and under every other one. Continue this over and under pattern as you lay down the remaining strips across the pie.
6. Finish off the crust by rolling the edge under. If there are any overhanging pieces from these strips, you tuck them right in.
7. To scallop the edges, push your index finger in between two other fingers to get a crimped edge all the way around. Think push rather than pinch to get the best look.
8. Before baking, place a pie shield or aluminum foil strips on top of the pie crust edges to prevent burning. Remove them 15 minutes before the pie is finished.
Quick & Easy Lattice
A simpler alternative to the traditional lattice weave is to place every other strip across the pie in one direction, then place the remaining strips on top in the opposite direction. This way, you can save time by not weaving every strip. Once baked, the quick & easy lattice looks nearly as gorgeous as the traditional method.
lattice pie crust
lattice top crust
how to make a lattice crust
how to make a pie crust
Standard YouTube License
Next in Howdini Baking: Cakes, Cookies, Pies & More!
- 15:23 Pie Crust Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby Joy of Baking.com VideosFeatured 244,804
- 5:16 How to make pie crust - Pie crust recipeby HowdiniGuru 681,251 views
- 3:30 Apple pie recipe - How to make apple pieby HowdiniGuru 447,207 views
- 3:40 How to make mascarpone-filled walnut rollsby HowdiniGuru 61,726 views
- 13:05 Strawberry Pie Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby JoyofBaking1 157,269 views
- 10 videos Play all Pillsbury Bakingby HowdiniGuru
- 15:56 Apple Pie Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby JoyofBaking1 285,329 views
- 8:04 Egg Pieby panlasangpinoy 390,789 views
- 5:07 How to Make A Pie Crustby allrecipes 49,299 views
- 6:00 Molten Lava Cake - Valentine's Day Dessert Recipeby ShowMeTheCurry.com 1,683,682 views
- 5:47 McDONALDS APPLE PIE - VIDEO RECIPEby robjnixon 533,427 views
- 4:08 How to weave a lattice-top pie crust: SomethingEdible.comby somethingediblefilms 4,103 views
- 3:51 The BEST Fluffy Scrambled Eggs!by JulieWebster1 838,957 views
- 5:24 How To Make An Apple Pieby WatchMojo 51,759 views
- 12:55 Blueberry Pie Recipe Demonstration - Joyofbaking.comby JoyofBaking1 64,503 views
- 9:33 How To Make Best Ever Blueberry Pieby LandOLakesKtchn 19,254 views
- 7:24 Betty's Homemade Apple Pie Recipeby bettyskitchen 156,550 views
- 5:40 How to make Apple Pie in Japan アップルパイの作り方by runnyrunny999 316,290 views
- 4:44 Pie Crust (Part 2) (Lattice Top for Cherry Pie)by MarjoriesCandies 5,848 views
- 3:15 How to Make a Fluted Pie Crustby FineCooking 36,231 views
- 5:04 Receta de Tarta de Manzana y Nuecesby mimogirl27 106,445 views
- Loading more suggestions...