Large hornet on hand
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 15, 2006
This giant hornet was my pet for 7 months. Here she climbs onto my fingers and enjoys a snack of honey.
Please note that I have disabled comments because of too many nonsensical or repeated comments. I have been very busy and am not able to respond directly to comments, especially repeated ones. PLEASE READ THE VIDEO DESCRIPTION - everything you need to know is stated here.
This is not a Japanese giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia) but its closest living relative, Vespa soror (no common name yet, although Indochinese giant hornet might be a suitable one). Previously I misidentified it as a Vespa ducalis, which looks similar but is smaller and more slender in shape. It grows to around the same size as Vespa mandarinia or just slightly smaller. This individual is not a male, as someone claimed, it's a worker. Note the antennae and abdomen - males have an additional segment and a blunt abdomen, and long curved antennae. Their usual lifespan is merely several weeks, which is why I myself was greatly surprised at how long she lived. She isn't flying simply because she's busy eating. I caught her intending just to take some photos, but decided to keep her later. This is not in any way related to the cicada killer, it is a close relative of the European hornet Vespa crabro and the previously mentioned Japanese giant hornet. She isn't stinging me simply because hornets do not attack away from the nest. And yes, I have been stung by this species (but not this individual); it hurts somewhat; swollen hand, stiff fingers, but no lasting effect. Of course, being stung many times can be very dangerous. She died naturally of old age. There is indeed honey on my fingers, that is the only way to lure a hornet onto one's hand as they cannot be "tamed". And for those who commented on my shaky hand, I have all along had somewhat shaky hands due to excessive smoking and drinking of coffee and tea as well as not carrying out proper precautions after physical training in the past.
Note also that this video is only to document how docile they can be away from the nest, and also the size of this magnificent insect.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:04 Bro Scott and the world's largest hornet's nest! - @OpieRadioby Opie Radio Featured 99,404
- 4:09 Man vs. Wasp - Man (&Fire) Winsby Michael Barton1,015,553 views
- 3:23 Pepsis wasp VS wandering spiderby pedromariposa1,208,070 views
- 2:09 Giant Tarantula Vs. Wasp Fighting to Deathby AmazingSightings1,644,278 views
- 45:33 Japanese Hornet Documentaryby Mightycurt337,809 views
- 58 videos Play all when bugs attackby spiderm7409
- 3:08 3 dumbasses and a hornets nestby rgeeezy347,055 views
- 5:05 Syndicate VS Killer Wasps!by SyndicateCentral243,726 views
- 3:48 Hornet's nest shot with paintball gunby EpicRifle764,155 views
- 1:57 Deadly giant hornets kill 42 people in China 1500 injuredby The Cosmos News196,348 views
- 3:36 30 Japanese Giant Hornets kill 30,000 Honey Beesby iamyourdoom61450,885 views
- 2:31 Large Japanese hornet vs Mantisby janbon3333346,469 views
- 2:30 Giant hornet vs manby mituro36214,225 views
- 3:06 Hornets From Hellby National Geographic1,027,066 views
- 3:42 How to destroy a wasp nest with a paint ball gun and a can of wasp poison.by 23sapper166,948 views
- 4:44 Body Invadersby National Geographic2,285,451 views
- 2:24 scorpion vs hornet - fightby Bugs Channel23,443 views
- 4:20 30 hornets vs. 30,000 beesby silentrouge3,162,920 views
- 3:59 Black Widow Spider Traps Queen Waspby jackdoggerdog548,786 views
- 4:24 Hornets From Hell - National Geographicby Peter Notas631,076 views