Adam Hurt - clawhammer gourd banjo - Brushy Fork of John's Creek
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 13, 2009
Adam Hurt's new solo gourd banjo CD - "Earth Tones" - is now available from
"What may appear to be rather basic melodies can in fact express unspeakable emotions and evoke the experiences of generations past. Music on the gourd banjo offers a glimpse into another time." Adam Hurt
This video was taken at a solo concert I produced for Adam Hurt in Pagosa Springs, Colorado in April of 2009. It was a great honor to record and co-produce "Earth Tones," with Adam Hurt, one of today's premier banjo stylists.
Adam Hurt has released a groundbreaking CD, entitled "Earth Tones." The celebrated banjo virtuoso's first solo album is a daring foray into the mysterious world of the gourd banjo - a little known and extremely difficult to play instrument.
The artistic level to which Adam Hurt takes the gourd banjo, on "Earth Tones," is - putting it mildly -- stunning. To reach such a degree of refinement and mellifluousness on such a primitive instrument is very difficult to imagine.
Gourd banjos were brought to the colonies by African slaves hundreds of years ago. The African gourd banjo is the prototype for what we now think of as the American banjo -- an important element of American musical history that is only recently becoming more widely known.
The gourd banjo that Adam is playing, on "Earth Tones," was made by the man perhaps most responsible for re-introducing gourd banjos into the modern world, David G. Hyatt. Hyatt's seminal work in educating modern banjo players and banjo makers about the gourd banjo has been a central influence in the emerging awareness of the actual history of the banjo. Besides having an unrelated job as dean at the University of Arkansas, Hyatt has a mission, vis-à-vis gourd banjos: to teach people about their place in banjo history and to teach instrument builders how to make them so musicians will keep the history alive.
Paul Roberts http://www.banjocrazy.com/
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Adam Hurt - clawhammer gourd banjo - Brushy Fork of John's Creek
- 4:08 Adam Hurt and Matthew Olwell- Gourd Banjo and Flatfootingby Matthew Olwell7,080 views
- 21:02 Elegant Gourd Artby Welburn Gourd Farm5,380 views
- 1:40 Ducks on the Millpondby banjojudy2,012 views
- 4:41 Frank Lee playing Dobson Banjo from Deep Creek Stringsby Jeff Delfield6,795 views
- 3:41 Adam Hurt plays Ed Haley's "Forked Deer"by clawhammerist7,955 views
- 6:37 David J Beede playing octave dulcimer, gourd banjo NAFby David Beede15,641 views
- 3:33 Adam Hurt and Beth Hartness play Forked Deerby banjojudy1,619 views
- 164 videos Play all old-time musicby morsbergerg
- 10:11 Scott didlake and the origin of the banjo TBI 1992by Ulf Jägfors13,314 views
- 3:25 Adam Hurt plays "The Blackest Crow"by clawhammerist7,591 views
- 5:57 David Beede Luthierby David Beede34,508 views
- 2:42 Adam Hurt gourd banjo "John Riley the Shepherd"by Paul Roberts24,608 views
- 14:38 Clifftop Moments 2011by tackyjulie17,676 views
- 2:42 Michael J. Miles & Gourd Banjo - clawhammer banjoby Michael Miles1,322 views
- 15:00 Mike Seeger pt 2by FolkSeattle4,402 views
- 3:25 Adam Hurt and Paul Brown play The Wandering Boy at the Suwannnee Banjo Camp 3.18.11by Chuck Levy2,933 views
- 3:05 Clifftop 2012 Trad Band Playoff Brushy Fork of Johns Creekby Debbie Adams2,637 views
- 5:25 "Brushy Fork of John's Creek" old-time fiddle tuneby Strumelia2,289 views
- 6:41 Riley Baugus - Little Satchelby hmc141018,688 views
- 7:56 David Holt Beginning Clawhammer Banjo Lesson Tom Dooleyby banjofolk403,468 views