TEDxEQCHCH - Sacha McMeeking - Cultural Context and Long View
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 4, 2011
Part of re-imagining Christchurch is finding a path that sees us integrate the history, views, perceptions and hopes of all stakeholders. Christchurch was settled over 700 years ago and the waves of migration since have given rise to layers of histories in the city's physical and cultural landscapes. The cultural fabric of our community can generate rich and inclusive insights for re-imagining our city including the contribution of tangata whenua.
It is for this reason that we are happy that Sacha McMeeking has agreed to present at TEDxEQChCh. McMeeking is the General Manager of Strategy and Influence, at Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu. She holds key responsibilities for external relations, brand and reputation management, and engagement with central government.
Prior to this role, Sacha focused on academic pursuits. She graduated from the University of Canterbury with a Master of Laws (First Class Honours) and then went on to lecture in the faculty in various fields (constitutional law, Māori legal issues, comparative indigenous rights and international law). During this period, she co-ordinated Iwi advocacy with the United Nations concerning the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004.
With a very wide area of interest, Sacha was the recipient of the Fullbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship, which saw her travel to the United States to research corporate social responsibility, with a particular focus on articulating an Indigenous paradigm for traditional values based commercial decision making and exploring the evolving relationship between business, society and state.
TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
Standard YouTube License
- 18:02 Truly sustainable economic development: Ernesto Sirolli at TEDxEQChChby TEDxTalks14,420 views
- 14:52 Our Rights To Earth And Freedom : Sofia Jannok at TEDxGatewayby TEDxTalks14,731 views
- 42:59 TEDxBoston - Benjamin Zander and the YOA - 7/28/09by TEDxTalks23,743 views
- 11:30 Bringing Cultural Context and Self-Identity into Education: Brian Lozenski at TEDxUMNby TEDxTalks1,110 views
- 19:46 TEDxEQCHCH - Paul Downton - Building Neighbourhoodsby TEDxTalks777 views
- 18:23 TEDxEQCHCH - Helena Norberg-Hodge - The Economics of Happinessby TEDxTalks24,977 views
- 17:55 TEDxWestlake - John Hagel - "From push to passion"by TEDxTalks2,085 views
- 18:35 TEDxKC - Michael Wesch - From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-Ableby TEDxTalks51,072 views
- 14:15 Nelson Mandela, Negotiation and Conflict Management: David Venter at TEDxEutropolisby TEDxTalks3,560 views
- 21:12 TEDxEQChCh - Art Agnos - Lessons from San Francisco's Recoveryby TEDxTalks1,264 views
- 10:06 TEDxEQCHCH - Grant Schofield - Healthy Cityby TEDxTalks4,226 views
- 18:04 TEDxPerth - Jason Clarke - Embracing Changeby TEDxTalks8,125 views
- 11:50 TedxVienna - Niko Alm - The End of Freedom of Religionby TEDxTalks11,111 views
- 11:56 TEDxRotterdam - Patrick Vermijmeren - Emotional Intelligence Wil Lead The Futureby TEDxTalks2,751 views
- 7:42 TEDxEQCHCH - Andie Spargo - Tragedy Plus Distanceby TEDxTalks1,013 views
- 12:50 TEDxUBC - Paul Cubbon - Engagement: the un-lecture - a radical new approach to learningby TEDxTalks2,030 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,343,503 views
- 16:51 Travel Writing and Global Change: Lavinia Spalding at TEDxParkCityby TEDxTalks3,470 views
- 14:49 TEDxYYC - Patrick Finn - Loving Communicationby TEDxTalks8,433 views
- 10:28 Hand Over A Hundy: Jade Temepara at TEDxEQChChby TEDxTalks1,364 views