Uploaded on Jan 26, 2012
Sombi (roasted mango and coconut rice pudding) - "Sushi Style"
Chef Pierre Thiam demonstrates how to make Sombi "sushi style"
½ cup honey
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup agave (or sugar) to taste
1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
½ cup shredded coconut
1 cup cooked white rice
4 oz. raspberry
2 tbs. sugar
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook the honey until bubbly. Add the mango slices and glaze until they are well-coated and golden brown (5 minutes). Remove from the heat.
2. In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sweetener, vanilla, and 6 tablespoons of the shredded coconut.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for approximately 10 minutes.
4. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons shredded coconut in a dry pan and toast over low heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. With a ladle, remove about a ½ cup of the coconut sauce and set aside.
6. Add the cooked rice to the remaining coconut sauce and cook slowly, stirring frequently until all the liquid is absorbed.
7. To serve, divide the rice pudding among 4 to 6 individual bowls, surrounding rice with a pool of the reserved coconut sauce. Fan the mango slices over the rice and strew with the toasted coconut.
Another way to serve it is to allow the rice mixture to cool first, and then shape the rice into ovals. Arrange the mango slices on top of the rice ovals and sit on a pool of the coconut sauce and raspberry sauce.