Hit & Run From New Car Smell (?)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2010
New TYT Network channels: http://www.youtube.com/user/tytsports
New TYT Facebook Page(!): http://www.facebook.com/tytnation
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/theyoungturks
FREE Movies(!): http://www.netflix.com/tyt
Note: The above two links are for TYT sponsors.
Read Ana's blog and subscribe at:
TYT Network (new WTF?! channel): http://www.youtube.com/user/whatthefl...
Check Out TYT Interviews http://www.youtube.com
Many drivers enjoy the so-called "new car smell," a mix of volatile organic compounds that rise from the plastic, leather, cloth, wood and other interior components of cars fresh off the assembly line. The aroma is so popular that some companies even sell "new car smell" air fresheners.
But does "new car smell" have a dark side? More specifically, is it intoxicating?
That appears likely to be an element of the defense of a Colorado driver charged in a nighttime hit-and-run accident, according to court documents filed this week, The Vail Daily News reports. The driver, Martin Joel Erzinger, a financial manager, allegedly fled the scene of a crash with a cyclist in July.
The "new car smell" from a month-old Mercedes-Benz may have contributed to Mr. Erzinger's losing consciousness before the accident, his lawyers say.
The seemingly novel defense has been raised by an "accident reconstructionist" hired by Mr. Erzinger's attorneys. They contend that Mr. Erzinger suffered from sleep apnea and dozed off at the wheel before driving off the road and striking the cyclist.
"Harmful and noxious gases emitted from the upholstery can infiltrate the driver's compartment and potentially alter the driver," the investigator wrote.
At least one study has found that fumes from new car interiors can pose a health hazard, particularly on a hot day when the windows are closed. Volatile organic compounds like those found in new car fumes have been linked to a variety of health problems in humans, from throat irritation to cancer.
Mr. Erzinger's case previously drew attention after a prosecutor suggested in September that he was dropping a felony charge in the case out of consideration for his employment status. Mr. Erzinger represents wealthy clients for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney and has $1 billion in assets under management, according to his Web site.
When the local police arrested him, the police records say, he was placing a broken side mirror and a damaged bumper in his trunk.
After protests from the victim's lawyers, the felony charge was refiled in October.
The victim, Dr. Steven Milo, 33, a liver transplant anesthesiologist at a New York hospital, suffered serious injuries in the accident and will suffer lifelong pain, his attorney contends.
Mercedes-Benz did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the upholstery smell.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:50 Fox Guest: Rich People Are Heroesby TheYoungTurksFeatured 46,382
- 6:11 'Obama Gave Away The Store' - Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA)by TheYoungTurks 19,678 views
- 7:04 Dad Confronts Abortion Protesters At Clinicby TheYoungTurks 180,605 views
- 4:43 Neo-Nazis Take Over German Villageby TheYoungTurks 2,026,983 views
- 6:30 KKK Snowman With Nooseby TheYoungTurks 59,554 views
- 195 videos Play all TheYoungTurks_p2by yes4me
- 5:11 Fox News Jealous Of Jon Stewart After 9/11 Responder Billby TheYoungTurks 148,757 views
- 8:29 Fox News Bias Exposed By Leaked Memosby TheYoungTurks 96,374 views
- 4:34 Health Care Reform Unconstitutional - Biased Judgeby TheYoungTurks 19,014 views
- 9:34 Ron Paul Defends WikiLeaksby TheYoungTurks 59,180 views
- 14:21 Can the New Car Smell Kill You? Yes! - Garage419by Garage419 47,372 views
- 6:39 Do Bag Check Fees Make Sense?by TheYoungTurks 18,810 views
- 7:41 Bloomberg to Ban Soda for NYC Welfare Recipientsby TheYoungTurks 25,429 views
- 5:01 Sarah Palin Flame Warsby TheYoungTurks 30,244 views
- 4:40 WikiLeaks Hate From Republicansby TheYoungTurks 37,408 views
- 6:08 Police Vs. Protester In Wheelchairby TheYoungTurks 58,821 views
- 8:08 Jon Stewart Changes Fox News 9/11 Responders Bill Opinionby TheYoungTurks 604,083 views
- 3:53 Jerry Seinfeld Gets Angry at Larry Kingby TheYoungTurks 2,218,413 views
- 17:27 'Obama Can Be Bullied' - Rep. McDermott (D-WA)by TYTInterviews 8,080 views
- 6:56 Bill Clinton Dominates Obama Press Conferenceby TheYoungTurks 61,718 views
- 6:41 Report Doctored By Republicansby TheYoungTurks 37,809 views
- Loading more suggestions...