What is Chemotherapy? (part 1 of 2) | HealthiNation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 21, 2011
Understand what chemotherapy is and why it often plays a large part in cancer treatment.
Coping with Chemotherapy (part 2 of 2) | HealthiNation
True Life Story: Chemotherapy | HealthiNation
What Is Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is a type of drug treatment that's been used for the last 50 years to treat cancer. It is typically used to attempt to rid the body of all cancer cells, shrink the size of cancer before surgery, or to relieve the symptoms and improve the quality of life for those with cancer.
How Does Chemotherapy Work?
Chemotherapy works by infusing chemicals, or drugs, into the body. These drugs move throughout the body to kill cells that multiply and divide rapidly, like cancer cells do. This treatment can shrink or sometimes eliminate cancer all together. And, since the drugs reach all parts of the body, the treatment can be effective even if the disease has spread.
Unfortunately, chemotherapy drugs are not able to distinguish the difference between cancerous and healthy cells that divide and rapidly multiply. This means that healthy cells in areas of the body like the bone marrow, the digestive system, or the hair follicles, may be killed too in the process.
How Is Chemotherapy Treatment Given?
Chemotherapy can be administered as a pill, an injection or sometimes it's applied as a skin cream. It can be given at any stage in the cancer treatment, and will often be part of a larger treatment strategy. For people with advanced cancer, chemo is used to ease their pain and suffering. Only your doctor and oncologist can determine whether chemotherapy should be part of a cancer treatment.
Cancer Chemotherapy. Rockville, MD.: National Cancer Institute, 2009. (Accessed October 15, 2009 at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ca....)
Chemotherapy and You: Support for People with Cancer. Rockville, MD.: National Cancer Institute, 2007. (Accessed October 15, 2009 at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/ch....)
Chemotherapy is a type of drug treatment that's been used for the last 50 years to treat cancer. It is typically used to attempt to rid the body of all cancer cells, shrink the size of cancer before surgery, or to relieve the symptoms and improve the quality of life for those with cancer. Understand why it often plays a large part in cancer treatment.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:22 The Shocking History of Chemotherapy!by iHealthTube.com Featured 6,572
- 3:42 Cancer Treatments: Radiation & Chemotherapy (Part 2 of 3) | HealthiNationby HealthiNation14,277 views
- 4:35 Coping with Side Effects of Chemotherapy (part 2 of 2) | HealthiNationby HealthiNation3,332 views
- 3:32 Cancer Treatments: Cancer Surgery (Part 1 of 3)| HealthiNationby HealthiNation935 views
- 5:06 True Life Story: Chemotherapy | HealthiNationby HealthiNation1,188 views
- 13:36 Chemotherapyby CancerQuest8,177 views
- 5:15 1st Chemo Treatmentby Jayni Angeli6,447 views
- 12:47 Why I rejected Chemo & Radiationby Christina Newman32,601 views
- 1:04:50 Cancer Treatment Documentary: Conventional vs Natural by Viral Documentaries17,060 views
- 9:02 Hodgkin lymphoma: Chemotherapy, round 3 [Hodgkin's chemo]by Jake Bouma18,754 views
- 4:01 Starting Chemotherapy: What to Expect | Dana-Farber Cancer Instituteby DanaFarberCancerInst8,231 views
- 52:47 5.3 Cancer and Chemotherapy 1by PHRM20317,061 views
- 6:06 Cancer Can Be Cured Without Chemotherapyby Bert Seelman34,092 views
- 1:54 The Chemo Experience: Accessing the Portby WunderGloFoundation21,728 views
- 11:28 Q&A: How Well Does Chemo Work for Breast Cancer? Chris Wark (Chris Beat Cancer)by chrisbeatcancer2,844 views
- 6:39 Chemotherapy Part 2by Irish Cancer Society15,548 views
- 18:00 I said no to chemo and went raw!by thedurianking62,687 views
- 4:51 What is chemotherapy?by Irish Cancer Society2,251 views
- 4:40 Cancer: from a healthy cell to a cancer cellby sanofiaventisTVen41,416 views
- 3:38 Cancer Treatment: IMRT (Radiation Therapy)by Nucleus Medical Media42,056 views
- Loading more suggestions...