Roland MT-32 Tribute: Wing Commander (MT-32 / LAPC-I / CM-32L / CM-64 and CM-500)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 24, 2010
A little gameplay video of Wing Commander showing you what this game sounded like with a Roland MT-32 midi module.
Although I have vintage hardware that can run this game, recording the in-game footage is much easier through DOSBox. DOSBox passes the midi messages through a USB to midi adapter into the MT-32. Unlike DOSBox Adlib and Sound Blaster Emulation, in this case a real MT-32 is playing the music and sound, preserving the authenticity.
There are two versions of MT-32. MT-32 (Old) without the headphone socket and MT-32 (New) with the headphone socket. There are also a range of Computer Music (CM) devices which don't have the LCD display but come with 33 additional sound effects.
Due to their "analogue nature", there are small differences between all these units. I will make a video soon, comparing all these units and pointing out the subtle differences with Games.
Wing Commander is best enjoyed on the early MT-32 without the headphone socket. One difference between the old and the new unit is what effect the volume dial has.
On the old unit the volume dial will affect the "digital volume" before it goes into the DAC (Digital Analogue Converter). On the new units the dial will affect the "analogue volume" after the DAC.
Wing Commander is a game where at some parts in the game, the signal will clip on a later units. On these later units, reducing the volume through the volume dial doesn't remove the clipping.
However on old units you can remove the clipping by reducing the volume though the front dial, as the dial directly affects the "digital volume" before it's amplified. 60 (out of 100) seems to be a good setting...
However not all is lost, there is a workaround for later units, which involves sending sysex commands to the unit, telling it to lower the volume digitally...
Standard YouTube License
- 9:30 Let's Play Space Quest 3 - Pirates of Pestulon 05: The Mallard Flies Againby Kikoskia Featured 7,995
- 3:33:04 Roland MT-32 The Ultimate Tutorialby Mau1wurf19774,676 views
- 21:47 Using a Roland MT-32 with Windows 7 and DOSBoxby beigemore5,909 views
- 15:00 Roland MT-32 Tribute: Monkey Island 2 (MT-32 / LAPC-I / CM-32L / CM-64 and CM-500)by Mau1wurf19776,737 views
- 11:27 Silpheed with MT-32 music and Sound Blaster soundby Mau1wurf19771,494 views
- 9:08 Roland MT-32 Tribute: The Heart of China (MT-32 / LAPC-I / CM-32L / CM-64 and CM-500) Part 2by Mau1wurf19771,401 views
- 0:28 Best Video Game ending of all timeby DuskDawn1442,862 views
- 9:38 Wing Commander 2 (PC Dosbox MT-32 Emulation)by AmigaOmegaGT4,739 views
- 11:11 Sound Card comparison - Digital Speech - DOS Game Wing Commander IIby Mau1wurf19773,116 views
- 8:10 "Gods" (1991) Intro - PC (Sound Blaster) vs. PC (Roland MT-32 - Munt) vs. Amiga (A500)by David O'Neill1,495 views
- 6:09 Real Roland MT-32 playing.by decod3126,229 views
- 3:05 Tie Fighter Introduction (Roland Sound Canvas)by Orion23499,628 views
- 10:50 Roland MT-32 Tribute: The Heart of China (MT-32 / LAPC-I / CM-32L / CM-64 and CM-500) Part 1by Mau1wurf19772,209 views
- 9:22 Zeliard ( ゼリアード ) Roland MT-32 synthesizer Part 1/2by RealDonnyK5,497 views
- 6:35 HDGM1 vs 32X Video Encoderby MN12BIRD187,460 views
- 3:18:47 PC Longplay  Wing Commander - Secret Missions 1by cubex558,464 views
- 5:56 Space Quest IV Intro with Roland MT-32 musicby decod3114,268 views
- 5:38:18 Amiga Longplay  Wing Commander (CD32)by cubex5525,229 views
- 2:06 Wing Commander: Privateer Intro (Roland Sound Canvas)by Orion23493,976 views
- 6:21 Roland MT-32 Wing Commander OST - Dogfight, landing and debriefing - Roland MT-32 versionby Mau1wurf19772,695 views
- Loading more suggestions...